What's new

Asus Introduces HiveSpot and HiveDot Mesh Networking Products

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pete y testing

Very Senior Member
hi guys

just seen some news on the new asus mesh systems called hive spot and hive dot , limited info so far but it sounds like it uses its lower 5 gig 867M for backhaul and higher 5 gig 1300M + 2.4 gig for client use , so backwards to how orbi approached it

suggests starting package is 3 units and is mesh based but can run up to 5 units

hive spot is 1300M

hive dot is 867M units

no word on price yet

pete

Looks like those mesh systems are going to take over the router market. I have been using repeaters for years but I am keeping an eye on those mesh systems if they are an improvement and it looks like they are.

ces17-asus-hivespot.jpg

CES 2017: Asus hops on the mesh Wi-Fi train with HiveSpot and HiveDot

Some very interesting mesh systems introduced at CES2017. Previously I almost bought ubiquiti AP's, but my lack of technical knowledge to get them installed en running properly gave the necessary hesitation.. Now mesh could well be the silver bullet. I'm looking forward to more in depth information and upcoming reviews.

With current available (press) information I kinda get the impression the new consumer mesh systems won't fully benefit an existing cabled network?? Keen to see if a model will support PoE and hopefully a ceiling of wall model with internal RJ45 socket (to attach the devices without any visible plug/wire). Interesting times ahead!

I kinda get the impression the new consumer mesh systems won't fully benefit an existing cabled network??

correct if you have structured cabling in place you dont need any mesh system , you just need some wireless access points and a router

the go to unit are the ubiquiti unifi ac lite ap's and something like a ubiquiti edge router

Doubtful you will see PoE consumer mesh systems. That is not within the capabilities of the target customer.

Thanks Pete en Tim, then perhaps the new Ubiquiti Unifi Mesh could be an option (https://unifi-mesh.ubnt.com/#products). These feature PoE, wall/ceiling mounting ánd plug & play setup.

The last time I was looking at Ubiquiti (about 1,5-2 years ago) I got the impression these weren't very easy to setup, hopefully this is easy peasy now.

Most important is seamless connection throughout the house/garden (i.e. walk around using FaceTime or voice-call with Whatsapp), where the house has thick concrete flooring (with a normal router/modem bad connection on the first floor, no connection on the second floor). To solve this I recently created hard wire connections in the centre of each floor and garden house, so the basics are done :)

HiveSpot AC2200 ultimate AC performance : 400+867+867 Mbps
HiveDot AC1300 enhanced AC performance : 400+867 Mbps

Last edited:
Doubtful you will see PoE consumer mesh systems. That is not within the capabilities of the target customer.

Beside, if you have Ethernet, you don't need a wifi backhaul - that means you can plug a standard AP, and get much better performance...

If you use cable as backhaul will the wifi backhaul be turned off by it self on this mesh products?

If you use cable as backhaul will the wifi backhaul be turned off by it self on this mesh products?

i think they would just use the path of least resistance and just use ethernet , i dont think the wifi backhaul would be turned off as such just not used , think of it a bit like having your comp connected by ethernet and wifi at the same time , the comp will always use the ethernet as its the fastest

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!