Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Asus Introduces HiveSpot and HiveDot Mesh Networking Products

Discussion in 'General Wireless Discussion' started by pete y testing, Jan 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. pete y testing

pete y testing Very Senior Member

hi guys

just seen some news on the new asus mesh systems called hive spot and hive dot , limited info so far but it sounds like it uses its lower 5 gig 867M for backhaul and higher 5 gig 1300M + 2.4 gig for client use , so backwards to how orbi approached it

suggests starting package is 3 units and is mesh based but can run up to 5 units

hive spot is 1300M

hive dot is 867M units

no word on price yet

pete

husky55 likes this.
  2. husky55

husky55 Occasional Visitor

Looks like those mesh systems are going to take over the router market. I have been using repeaters for years but I am keeping an eye on those mesh systems if they are an improvement and it looks like they are.

3. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Chairman007 likes this.
  4. chamberc

chamberc Regular Contributor

Is there anything different from a repeater other than having separate 5ghz backhaul radios?

5. Fredoo

Fredoo New Around Here

Some very interesting mesh systems introduced at CES2017. Previously I almost bought ubiquiti AP's, but my lack of technical knowledge to get them installed en running properly gave the necessary hesitation.. Now mesh could well be the silver bullet. I'm looking forward to more in depth information and upcoming reviews.

With current available (press) information I kinda get the impression the new consumer mesh systems won't fully benefit an existing cabled network?? Keen to see if a model will support PoE and hopefully a ceiling of wall model with internal RJ45 socket (to attach the devices without any visible plug/wire). Interesting times ahead!

6. pete y testing

correct if you have structured cabling in place you dont need any mesh system , you just need some wireless access points and a router

the go to unit are the ubiquiti unifi ac lite ap's and something like a ubiquiti edge router

7. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Doubtful you will see PoE consumer mesh systems. That is not within the capabilities of the target customer.

8. Fredoo

Fredoo New Around Here

Thanks Pete en Tim, then perhaps the new Ubiquiti Unifi Mesh could be an option (https://unifi-mesh.ubnt.com/#products). These feature PoE, wall/ceiling mounting ánd plug & play setup.

The last time I was looking at Ubiquiti (about 1,5-2 years ago) I got the impression these weren't very easy to setup, hopefully this is easy peasy now.

Most important is seamless connection throughout the house/garden (i.e. walk around using FaceTime or voice-call with Whatsapp), where the house has thick concrete flooring (with a normal router/modem bad connection on the first floor, no connection on the second floor). To solve this I recently created hard wire connections in the centre of each floor and garden house, so the basics are done :)

9. pege63

pege63 Very Senior Member

HiveSpot AC2200 ultimate AC performance : 400+867+867 Mbps
    HiveDot AC1300 enhanced AC performance : 400+867 Mbps

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  10. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

Beside, if you have Ethernet, you don't need a wifi backhaul - that means you can plug a standard AP, and get much better performance...

11. pege63

pege63 Very Senior Member

If you use cable as backhaul will the wifi backhaul be turned off by it self on this mesh products?

12. pete y testing

i think they would just use the path of least resistance and just use ethernet , i dont think the wifi backhaul would be turned off as such just not used , think of it a bit like having your comp connected by ethernet and wifi at the same time , the comp will always use the ethernet as its the fastest