What's new

ASUS Merlin 386.2_4 AiMesh not handling Guest Network properly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ruymbeke

New Around Here
============================================
Hello,
It looks like that the 2 Guest Network of my ASUS RT-AX88U router do not appear to be available on the RT-AC3100 AiMesh node. Only the main WiFi Network is extended, not the Guests Networks. Both the router and the node are running the latest 386.2_4 FW. What is even more interesting is that the Guest Networks SSID previously setup on the RT-AC3100 (before it was reconfigured as a AiMesh node) is still showing up. Finally the devices connected to that old Guest Network SSID of the RT-AC3100 AiMesh node are not visible as connected devices on the AiMesh panel, neither on the router nor on the node. Is this the expected behavior or a corner case bug ?
Thank you very much for your advise, help and great work.
Best Regards,
Gilles

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @ruymbeke.

Only Guest Network 1 (GN1) is available on the AiMesh v2.0 nodes.

Please use 'Better search' (top of page) for more information in these forums.

============================================
Hello,
It looks like that the 2 Guest Network of my ASUS RT-AX88U router do not appear to be available on the RT-AC3100 AiMesh node. Only the main WiFi Network is extended, not the Guests Networks. Both the router and the node are running the latest 386.2_4 FW. What is even more interesting is that the Guest Networks SSID previously setup on the RT-AC3100 (before it was reconfigured as a AiMesh node) is still showing up. Finally the devices connected to that old Guest Network SSID of the RT-AC3100 AiMesh node are not visible as connected devices on the AiMesh panel, neither on the router nor on the node. Is this the expected behavior or a corner case bug ?
Thank you very much for your advise, help and great work.
Best Regards,
Gilles
The fact that guest network aimesh sync is not working properly is a known issue. It is not actually related to RMerlin branch firmware, but is something asus devs. must fix as it is a flaw introduced from with asuswrt official firmware.

Indeed. I discovered that after setting up Guest Network 2 (and verifying that it worked), I went merrily about my way. For other reasons, I later rebooted the AX86U / Mesh network and the Guest 2 SSID disappeared (no longer visible to client devices). I went back to the Router GUI and found the Guest 2 network was no longer enabled. Reenabled Guest 2. Worked fine till I rebooted the router, and again it was disabled. After much humming and hawing, I switched over to Guest Network 3 and left Guest network 2 disabled. So far so good.

Thank you all for your feedback. Is a bug report already filed with Asus about this specific issue ?

Thank you all for your feedback. Is a bug report already filed with Asus about this specific issue ?
Yes, Asus is fully aware of this issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!