What's new

Asus Merlin with Surfshark connection issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SvartCobra

New Around Here
Hi Everyone,

I got some configuration issues when using my Asus AX88 with surfshark.

I have subscribed a Surfshark license on my Asus router so that I prefer most of clients will pass via VPN before accessing the web.
I have added some exception clients (for example :TVbox) which blocks VPN traffic.

I encountered problem for those clients accessing via VPN. They only work for 10 mins then all the internet traffic goes failed. I cannot ping and cannot access web site.

Having been communicated with Surfshark support for 2 hours but still no clue.

Is there any advise I can get from you guyz ?

Thanks

Attachments

• Router config.png
    Router config.png
    226.3 KB · Views: 492
Look in the router's syslog for OpenVPN error messages around the time you loose the internet.

Your screenshot is too small to read.

I'll echo the fact that your screenshot is way too small to read, but I gave it a shot anyway based on my surfshark setup

Change the following:
1. Username / Password Auth. Only - Set to No
2. Ciper Negotiation - Set to Disabled
3. TLS renogotiation time - Set to -1
4. Force internet traffic through tunnel - Set to No

Not sure if you ever came back here to check, but try that and see if you can successfully connect.

YMMV

Note: Given the performance of the router, I typically do not enable surfshark at the router, especially given that you get unlimited clients, but I did get it to connect after working through a bunch of different settings and reading pretty much every config guide on their site.

Not sure why the screenshot turns out so small after uploading.
Anyway, thanks for your advise.

It seems like I figure out the issue why it gets unstable. I have a long conversation with Surfshark and they are helpful at all. Finally, it found that the issue related to the DNS. Instead of using the ISP DNS, I used the OpenDNS and finally everything goes very well.

I was so surprised that it is the solution.

I used the settings as follows

Authorization Mode : TLS
Username/Password Authentication : Yes
Username/Password Authentication only : Yes
Cipher Negotiation : Enable (with fallback)
Legacy cipher : AES-256-CBC
TLS control channel security : Outgoing Auth (1)
Auth digest : SHA512

TLS Renegotiation Time : 0