What's new

Asus Mesh Daisy Chain Speed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stepalex

Occasional Visitor
I have my AX11000 set up as the main router and 2 x XT12 connected to it as nodes, + XT8 on another floor.

After my printer - one of the few 2.4 devices - would not connect to any of the nodes but rather to the main router only, I checked the available wireless networks and can see that neither of the nodes actually broadcast 2.4, it only comes from the main router - no such issues with the 5 range.

Any idea how to fix it?

I have my AX11000 set up as the main router and 2 x XT12 connected to it as nodes, + XT8 on another floor.

After my printer - one of the few 2.4 devices - would not connect to any of the nodes but rather to the main router only, I checked the available wireless networks and can see that neither of the nodes actually broadcast 2.4, it only comes from the main router - no such issues with the 5 range.

Any idea how to fix it?
Resolved the above by rebuilding the mesh.

Hi,

How does network speed work in case of daisy-chaining several routers? More specifically, if I use my XT12 as the main router, and another XT12 as a node, I get the following picture:

Screenshot 2022-04-29 at 23.18.56.png

If I then add my GT-AX11000 as a node - that needs to connect to the 'node' XT12 in daisy chain (ie XT12>XT12>AX11000), as otherwise it can’t reach the main router - I get the following:

Screenshot 2022-04-29 at 23.19.16.png

Is this drop from 4803 to 2402 Mbps what I need to expect? And swapping my GT-AX11000 node for another XT12 (ie XT12>XT12>XT12) would not change anything due to how tri-band routers work?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Another question:

If I use my XT12 as the main router, and another XT12 as a nod, I get the following picture:

View attachment 41017

If I then add my GT-AX11000 as a nod - that needs to connect to the 'nod' XT12 in daisy chain (ie XT12>XT12>AX11000) - I get the following:
View attachment 41018

Is this drop from 4803 to 2402 Mbps what I need to expect? And swapping my GT-AX11000 nod for another XT12 (ie XT12>XT12>XT12) )would not change anything?

Many thanks.
FYI They're called "nodes", not "nods".

Yes, for each router you add as an AiMesh node (or as a Repeater, effectively the same when the AiMesh node is added wirelessly), you lose half the speeds (or more, depending on local environmental factors). Particularly when in 'daisy-chained'.

Even when in a star configuration, the same is true (the speed is halved with each node added) when the whole network is used/busy.

Repeater mode = wireless AiMesh

If you have enough routers with 2 (or more), 5GHz band radios, you can manually set them up so that the signal repeated isn't done via the same radio that is servicing client devices. This is effectively wired backhaul, wirelessly.

But you will soon run out of bandwidth and control channels to do this for more than a couple of manually repeated, nodes. At least with AC and AX class routers. (A couple of WiFi AXE class routers, with 4 bands and 4 radios, like the upcoming GT-AXE16000, may give some relief, for an additional remote node).

Is this drop from 4803 to 2402 Mbps what I need to expect?
It squares with the fact that the additional node seems to be using an 80MHz not 160MHz channel. Whether that's avoidable, or would provide more performance if you did avoid it, requires more info than you've presented.

Even when in a star configuration, the same is true (the speed is halved with each node added) when the whole network is used/busy.

I might have misunderstood, but I think the OP's question is simpler than that: why is the reported TX rate half as much for the new node? I agree with your point that backhaul retransmissions will halve the effectively-available bandwidth, but that seems like an independent issue.

Good point. I too may have misunderstood. The fact that it is connecting at 80MHz may be a clue though? There is only so much time/bandwidth available @ 5GHz. And I'd bet the far node can 'see' the main router's signal and configure itself with that additional point too.

Many thanks for the input do far. Of course it's 'node' and not 'nod', thanks for pointing that out, fixed the original message.

Yes, my question refers to both a) why is it connecting at 80Mhz? b) why the reported throughput is halved? All I did was add another node via the app and not changed any settings.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!