What's new

ASUS N66U and AC56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I appreciate all the discussion around this. There seems to be varying opinions on the subject of range. Would there be more of a consensus on which router I should get? I don't have 802.1ac devices, only N. With prices being equal, would the dark knight be the right one? I have 2 NAS, 2 media players, and 4 devices (laptop, tablet, mobile etc) that's the reason I thought the simultaneous LAN load would be a factor and therefore considered the AC56U.....

Ok, this might be a silly question -- does downlink profile equate to range?

Indirectly, yes. Attenuation is the measure of signal loss -- it can be caused by distance, but also by what other materials might be in the way. Wet wood, for example, has more attenuation than glass.

In a free field, attenuation follows the inverse square law, so each doubling of distance would quarter the received power. That would be 6dB added attenuation.

Another way to look at it is that while the 5GHz radios of the two AC-class routers may have greater throughput at close range, the N66U beats them as you get farther way (or put more walls in between).

Hope this helps!