What's new

Asus new firmware doesn't allow spaces in WPA2/WPA3 passwords

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Spc

Regular Contributor
I just got RT-AX82u.
I did first setup and setup all configuration including WPA2/WPA3 password which included multiple spaces.

After firmware upgrade spaces were gone.
New firmware doesn't allow spaces.

Last firmware that still allows spaces is:
Version 3.0.0.4.386.43588
2021/07/29

Firmware that does not allow spaces:
Version 3.0.0.4.386.45375
2021/09/01 55.23 MBytes

And all other firmware updates after this release.

Is there any setting in the new firmware that user can use spaces in wpa2/wpa3 passwords or is this permanent change.
Will this change also come to merlin wrt ?

Thanks.

Using spaces in passwords and SSID's is not good practice. Some special characters are also not good to use.
(is there an echo in here?)

Well i always used on different firmware's on different routers spaces in my passwords and i had 0 problems with alot of devices from wii, wii u, switch ps3,ps5, pc, android, iphone, old windows xp.

But now that this char is not allowed this is news to me.

Well i always used on different firmware's on different routers spaces in my passwords and i had 0 problems with alot of devices from wii, wii u, switch ps3,ps5, pc, android, iphone, old windows xp.

But now that this char is not allowed this is news to me.
This is not a limitation of the Wi-Fi spec itself. The problem is the way a space is encoded by the HTML entry process. Depends on how it is parsed/converted.
I supposed you could consider this a bug since the behavior changed. But do yourself a favor and don't use spaces. There are plenty of examples out there of people being burned by using spaces in SSIDs.

Spaces aren't cool in tech.

Why 8 Alphanumeric SSID Characters

Even more likely to be an issue in a password due to usually (and hopefully) being encrypted / decrypted. Spaces in general also cause "word" delineation issues when programmers get sloppy. Not to mention making command line entry more difficult. While it may be possible for some devices, it is generally a REALLY good idea not to use them for any SSID, password, user name, or variables / values 8n general. Somewhere, sometime, it will cause you a headache that can easily be avoided.

Last edited:
I have my Guest SSID password with two spaces in it. No issues. My Wi-Fi system is different though.

Let me explain again.
I have no problems if i use spaces in SSID or passwords.
All devices connect correctly no problems

New firmware from asus just doesn't allow spaces to be used in passwords, old firmware allows spaces in passwords (WPA2 and WPA3).

Let me explain again.

New firmware from asus just doesn't allow spaces to be used in passwords, old firmware allows spaces in passwords (WPA2 and WPA3).
I think we understand the problem. It appears we have no solution for you other than "don't do that".
Have you filed a report with ASUS?

Let me explain again.

My solution is to use hyphens instead of spaces in SSIDs... I never use underscores in credentials since they can be obscured by underlining.

And I never use spaces in passwords since spaces are nearly never permitted in passwords. Apparently, Asus is adopting this prohibition with new product/firmware (WPA3?) going forward.

OE

I figure the younger folks never worked on an 8 or 16 bit operating system such as DOS 4.

There were things you just could not do such as spaces in file names and names longer than eight characters.

Never put too many files in the root of a drive.

Never exceed the max number of files in a sub directory.

And it has been so long since then I have forgotten much.

But, spaces in a file name I avoid. Spaces in User ID's and passwords ... NEVER!

I figure the younger folks never worked on an 8 or 16 bit operating system such as DOS 4.
I remember a friend of mine (Dave) had his Unix minicomputer password setup as his name spelt out in control characters, Ctrl-D Ctrl-A Ctrl-V Ctrl-E.

He thought that was very clever until he actually tried to log on and discovered that Ctrl-D is the control code for EOT which disconnects the terminal from the computer. Doh!

Here's screenshot:
Asus official firmware random password with space at the end:
NotAllowed.png

I use a long passphrase and use spaces in my passwords.

While not a crisis, if Asus changes which characters are allowed that would be unfortunate.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!