What's new

ASUS OpenVPN server running, VPN client can only connect to handful of websites help!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fkmkjgr

New Around Here
Hi,

I have setup an OpenVPN server running on my ASUS AC86U router directly from the native GUI. I'm running the client on a GL iNet Beryl travel router, again through the router's native GUI. The tunnel connection is successful, but when I try to load a page on the internet all I seem to have access to are very few domains for some reason like Google, Facebook or Amazon. Anything else will keep on loading forever.

I am running on MacOS and also have close to no understanding of how most of this works so please ELI5 if you have the patience.

Desperately need this to get online pretty urgently so appreciate any help here!

Config code is as follows:

remote [xxxxx].asuscomm.com 2020
float
nobind
proto udp
dev tun
sndbuf 0
rcvbuf 0
keepalive 10 30

# for OpenVPN 2.4 or older
comp-lzo yes
# for OpenVPN 2.4 or newer
;compress lzo

auth-user-pass
client
auth SHA1
cipher AES-128-CBC
remote-cert-tls server
<ça>

Then followed by certification and key.

When websites load very slowly or incompletely, this is sometimes due to MTU issues. A quick-n-dirty workaround to the problem (short of trying to find a better MTU, see below) is to switch from UDP to TCP. Granted, TCP is less efficient when TCP itself becomes nested, but it's less prone (but NOT immune) to such problems, and could be the easier and quicker short-term fix (given your stated urgency).

When websites load very slowly or incompletely, this is sometimes due to MTU issues. A quick-n-dirty workaround to the problem (short of trying to find a better MTU, see below) is to switch from UDP to TCP. Granted, TCP is less efficient when TCP itself becomes nested, but it's less prone (but NOT immune) to such problems, and could be the easier and quicker short-term fix (given your stated urgency).

Thanks for the reply. I successfully added an tun-mtu line to my vpn which weirdly gave me access to a couple more websites but not all. Tried lowering my mtu to 71 (highets I could go to get 0% packet loss from any random server) but the VPN server will only let me go down to 100.

After waiting a bit for pages to load I get a DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN on Chrome.
I have a dynamic IP but am running DDNS on an asuscomm domain so shouldn't be the cause of the issue here.
Any more ideas?
Thanks