What's new

ASUS router iOS firmware upgrade fails

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OmniiOMEGA

Occasional Visitor
When I try to use the ASUS router for iOS to upgrade the firmware on my GT-AC5300 running Merlin 3.0.0.4.386.2.2 it keeps giving a false positive every time I go back to check if the upgrade was successful! It literally can’t upgrade the firmware from iOS?

I don’t get what you’re trying to do. Are you trying to use the ASUS Router app? As far as I’m aware this cannot be used to upgrade Asuswrt-Merlin. You need to use the UI. It might be possible to save the firmware on your iDevice, but you want be able to do a SHA256 hash checksum before uploading. I think using a PC or a Mac would be the preferred way to upgrade your firmware.

I don’t get what you’re trying to do. Are you trying to use the ASUS Router app? As far as I’m aware this cannot be used to upgrade Asuswrt-Merlin. You need to use the UI. It might be possible to save the firmware on your iDevice, but you want be able to do a SHA256 hash checksum before uploading. I think using a PC or a Mac would be the preferred way to upgrade your firmware.
I understand it would be easier to upgrade it on PC or MAC, but if the app is smart enough to have this feature or functionality to recognise that there’s a firmware upgrade available on my router I would like to think I can upgrade it using the app?

The golden rule is: do not use Asus app for iOS or Andorid, ever. These Asus apps for mobile devices have a long history of security vulnerabilities. If you wish to use your mobile device to control your router you may use the standard Web browser of the device.

I understand it would be easier to upgrade it on PC or MAC, but if the app is smart enough to have this feature or functionality to recognise that there’s a firmware upgrade available on my router I would like to think I can upgrade it using the app?
The Asus App expects your router to be running the original firmware. My firmware does not support live updates, that's why it fails if you try to update with the app.

I've noticed Asus App opens remote access from WAN. I don't know how secure this Asus login page is. @RMerlin?
It only opens remote access from WAN if you let it. My understanding from reading these forums is that unless you know what you're doing and you need an open internet-facing port like that, it's a major security risk.

As mentioned above, the ASUS Router app cannot be used to upgrade Asuswrt-Merlin, only stock firmware. And even then, I would strongly advise against it. Better safe than sorry.

It only opens remote access from WAN if you let it. My understanding from reading these forums is that unless you know what you're doing and you need an open internet-facing port like that, it's a major security risk.

If you want access from outside of your network, it needs DDNS and WAN access, I believe. It's a very sluggish app and I uninstalled it 10min after. :)

I've noticed Asus App opens remote access from WAN. I don't know how secure this Asus login page is. @RMerlin?

To my best knowledge: this used to be the case, yes, but is not longer valid as ASUS has introduced Instant Guard and combined with the ASUS app you can securely connect through an IPSEC/Ikev2 tunnel.

If configured correctly, you can disable WAN access after configuring the Instant Guard app. That way there’s no difference, as in: there’s no webserver to access. You’re using IPSEC/Ikev2 instead of OpenVPN to access your router remotely, although I seldom see a need for it.

The Asus App expects your router to be running the original firmware. My firmware does not support live updates, that's why it fails if you try to update with the app.
Could you create an app of your own to upgrade the firmware in future?

shhh.jpg

At
Really? How often you need to update your firmware and what's the problem doing it via Web browser like everyone around does? :rolleyes:
this rate with Merlin pushing upgrades weeks apart I think it would be a good idea to do it via phone don’t you think?

I mean most people spend time on their phones than computers these days?

App?

No.

At

this rate with Merlin pushing upgrades weeks apart I think it would be a good idea to do it via phone don’t you think?

That would be a negative!

My firmware does not support live updates, and I have no plan of changing that anytime soon, so an app cannot do anything there.

At

As I already mentioned in my previous post here - you may use the web browser of your phone if you are so keen to use the phone instead PC. But my personal opinion is that updating the router FW is too serious and important task to be done via phone.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!