What's new

Asus router recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mlody_me

Occasional Visitor
We just moved from a 3-story rowhouse to a ranch house. I have been using Asus routers for a decade and a half. My first router overall was Linksys Wrt4g, and after it, I switched to Asus and have been using Asus since then. I have been a huge fan of the stand-up Asus models - RT-AC68U and RT-AC86U. At the previous place, I needed to have AIMesh to get full coverage; now, I have full Wi-Fi coverage using a single router (RT-AC86U), so I don't need to deal with AIMesh - not that I had any issues with AIMesh (mine was hard-wired and was rock solid).

Moving to a new house made me wonder whether now is the time to upgrade my router. The AC86U is still Wi-Fi 5; I mostly have no issues with it, and the system performs well for our needs. My internet service is only 400/10. I hope Comcast opens up higher uploads to Arris S33 owners soon so that I get bumped to 400/100. If they don't by the end of the year (my Comcast contract expires in December), I will switch to fiber - 300/300 as we don't need more. We currently average about 30 devices on the network; half are Apple devices (iPhones, iPads, Mac (laptops, desktops), home pods, AppleTV, etc, while the other half are smart home devices. That list will grow by 10-15 as I am still working on the smart home.

Is now a good time to go with Wi-Fi 6/6E, or should I hold off for Wi-Fi 7? Will I notice any difference in my case if I upgrade? Before we moved to the ranch, I planned to get Rt-AX86U Pro, but I held off with the purchase. As more Wi-Fi 7 routers keep popping up, I am tempted to wait. What is the consensus right now when it comes to routers?

Thanks

The AC86U is still Wi-Fi 5; I mostly have no issues with it, and the system performs well for our needs. My internet service is only 400/10.

Continue using it. If it works properly - very capable router with excellent range. It can do >500Mbps on Wi-Fi to common 2-stream client.

Is now a good time to go with Wi-Fi 6/6E, or should I hold off for Wi-Fi 7?

Don't be in a hurry to upgrade. First Wi-Fi 7 users will be beta testers. Upgrade when you have at least half of your devices Wi-Fi 6 or better.

Continue using it. If it works properly - very capable router with excellent range. It can do >500Mbps on Wi-Fi to common 2-stream client.

Don't be in a hurry to upgrade. First Wi-Fi 7 users will be beta testers. Upgrade when you have at least half of your devices Wi-Fi 6 or better.
I appreciate the feedback. I will most likely hold on to the RT-AC86U for the time being and wait what develops next. Most of our Apple devices already support Wi-Fi 6, but none supported Wi-Fi 6E. It will take years before we get a single Wi-Fi 7 device, so at best, I might just spring for RT-AX86U Pro if I find a good deal for it and my current AC86U starts giving me issues.

Most of our Apple devices already support Wi-Fi 6

None of your mobile devices will benefit significantly from Wi-Fi 6. I would never upgrade Wi-Fi because of phones/tablets.

I might just spring for RT-AX86U Pro

Better idea at least for longer firmware support and increased reliability. Your Internet experience won't change much though.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!