What's new

Asus router RT-AC86U external drive won't stay mounted after a while

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pingoo13

New Around Here
Hello,

I've plugged an external Western Digital G-DRIVE USB 3.0 - 4TB to my Asus RT-AC86U running Asuswrt-Merlin, in order to use it as a media player with UPnP, samba disk and as a time machine backup volume.
This all works well as soon as I plug the disk, but after some time, all the services won't work, it's not just some sleeping mode, it's like the disk has been unplugged. I "only" have to shutdown the hard drive and turn it up again for all the services to be back again properly, which is painful, especially for a service like Time Machine that is running whenever it wants.

I thought it was an OS issue, I've updated to the latest available asuswrt-merlin, but still have the problem.

I'm wondering what going on ? Is there an option on the router somewhere to tell the disk to unmount after a while or something ?

Thanks !

Hello,

I've plugged an external Western Digital G-DRIVE USB 3.0 - 4TB to my Asus RT-AC86U running Asuswrt-Merlin, in order to use it as a media player with UPnP, samba disk and as a time machine backup volume.
This all works well as soon as I plug the disk, but after some time, all the services won't work, it's not just some sleeping mode, it's like the disk has been unplugged. I "only" have to shutdown the hard drive and turn it up again for all the services to be back again properly, which is painful, especially for a service like Time Machine that is running whenever it wants.

I thought it was an OS issue, I've updated to the latest available asuswrt-merlin, but still have the problem.

I'm wondering what going on ? Is there an option on the router somewhere to tell the disk to unmount after a while or something ?

Thanks !
Likely your problem is related to the fact the drive is powered by the router. The AC86U is rated to handle a 4 TB drive but it does not have the power to run one. Since your drive does not have a port for external power you could get a powered USB hub to run the drive. Also, you should have a swap file or partition as your router can run out of RAM when doing SMB file transfer.

Likely your problem is related to the fact the drive is powered by the router. The AC86U is rated to handle a 4 TB drive but it does not have the power to run one. Since your drive does not have a port for external power you could get a powered USB hub to run the drive. Also, you should have a swap file or partition as your router can run out of RAM when doing SMB file transfer.
Hello, the Western Digital G-DRIVE USB 3.0 - 4TB is actually powered by an external power source, not the USB port.