What's new

Asus router with best WiFi range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ninko

Regular Contributor
Hi,
I'm looking to upgrade my father-in-law's router setup and seeing as I know the Asus routers GUI fairly well I thought I'd stick with what I know.

The main reason for upgrading his WiFi is range, his current router (Virgin Media Hub 3) is terrible for it.

So in your opinion, which Asus router has the best WiFi range?

Thanks

The RT-AC3100 is a little long in the tooth, but it has range. :)

The RT-AC86U and the RT-AX88U are both equal if not superior to the RT-AC3100 if we're considering the 5GHz band (not that 2.4GHz is terrible, just that I don't test that as much as I needed to before).

RT-AC3100 Report https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

RT-AX88U Upgrade https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...ta-is-now-available.60037/page-31#post-531024

The RT-AC86U falls somewhere between the RT-AC3100 and the RT-AX88U (I can't find that post right now).

HTH.

It is, but I still think the RT-AC3100 is the 'better one'. :)

Oh right so they are technically different then. I'm only asking because the RT-AC3100 doesn't seem to be readily available in the UK, you seem to end up at the RT-AC88U.

Are they majorly different?

Thanks again

I have the AC 3100. It was my main router for a couple of years. It was up in my attic and it pretty much covered the entire house even going down into the basement which is three floors down. The only downfall I noticed is that when I sat on my back patio I got a very weak signal. I couldn't get a signal for the 5.0 at all and the 2.4 was very weak. I think it's because over my patio is a fiberglass awning. What I decided to do a few months ago is to buy a second router and set up an AI mesh. Which by the way LD helped me to set it up.

I bought the AX58U so now that is my main router up in the attic and I placed the AC 3100 in the dining room which is two rooms behind me as I sit on the patio. Now I have great signal strength out on the patio and the signal in the basement is much stronger as well because that connects to the AC3100 in the dining room which is one floor up.

I hope this helps.

If you're able to try the RT-AC88U with the possibility of a full refund if you return it, do so.

The RF sections should be identical between the RT-AC3100 and the RT-AC88U. The 8-port switch on the RT-AC88U is what may cause you some issues (but hopefully not).

Ah! Right...
Luckily I doubt I would need more then 4 ports anyway.
Did anyone ever figure out if it was a hardware or software problem?

Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!