What's new

ASUS routers lose speed periodically, where is the problem? (RT-AC59U V2 and RT-AC58U V3).

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

forum_dyskusyjne

Regular Contributor
I am asking for help because I do not know what is causing the problem.
All routers was restarted to factory settings, network always have built from "scratch" - after factory reset.
Setting:
Parental control
QOS
etc. are OFF
Asus has an open support request...

Link to the video showing the measurements.

Part 1.
AIMESH routers: RT-AC59U V2 and RT-AC58U V3.
About every 72 hours, the connection speed periodically drops to 100Mb on WiFi and LAN .
Modem ISP LAN => WAN Asus.
Helps:
1. Removing and connecting the WAN cable to the ASUS router RT-AC59U V2.
2. Restart your ASUS router.

Part 2. Test.
I put the TpLink C6 router between the ISP modem and the Asus router.
Modem ISP LAN => WAN TpLink LAN => WAN Asus.
The TpLink router has no speed drop.
Asus routers have a cyclical decrease in WiFi, LAN speed.
I tested both routers, behaviour routers is always the same.
Helps:
1. Removing and connecting the WAN cable to the ASUS router RT-AC59U V2 or RT-AC53U V3

ISP LAN modem - has the correct speed.

Film:
IMESH (00:00 - 04:00)
WiFi speed test (100Mb drop).
Removing and inserting the WAN cable.
Correct speed.

TEST 1 (04:00 - 10:48)
WiFi TpLink test - correct.
Asus WiFi Test - Down to 100Mb.
Asus LAN Test - Down to 100Mb.
TpLink LAN test - correct.

TEST 2 (10:48 - 17:37)
Asus WiFi test - correct.

Last edited:
Your routers are region specific models and I remember seeing only few people mentioning something similar on SNB Forums. Not available in North America, for example. I know it's not an excuse, but the price of around €50/unit tells me they are budget oriented basic models. One of them (RT-AC59U V2) is already listed as End-Of-Life product. This means - no more support. Your fix is upgrading both to better and supported models.

Hmmmm,
RT-AC58U V3 and RT-AC59U V2 are the same devices.
Has the same firmware:
ASUS RT-AC59U_V2 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.51312 2023/05/25.

And I have 3 years warranty, and still I can buy it.

It is only forum, which I know and "support" asus products.
Price only 50Euro, can will not work?
For normal home use that level router is enough for more users.

Asus recently EoL-ed many router models still available in stores.

Some examples include RT-AC65, RT-AC65P, RT-AC67P, RT-AC2400, RT-AC2600, RT-AC1200xx, RT-ARCH18, etc.

This is a reminder you need to upgrade your hardware to suggested AX-class products if you want further support.

You claim that:
Network: ISP Modem - ASUS Router - ASUS AP
- doesn't work.
Network: ISP Modem - TPLink Router - ASUS AP
- works
It is normal?

You claim that:

I only say the chances for Asus support for the models you have are minimal. Very few people here on SNB Forums have experience with the exact models. All you can get is general advice. My advice - find what works for you and use what you already have. If this Asus doesn't work well as main router - run both routers as APs to something that works.

At the moment i wait on support answer :)

Possible results of your waiting:

a) no answer
b) usual reboot, reset, reconfigure suggestions
c) reminder your router is EoL with upgrade suggestions
d) RMA authorization and replacement

All of the above - waste of your time.

I would just make it work the way I found it works better and move on.

I reported a problem to support since March this year... with full support: logs, descriptions, etc. Every solution is possible, I do not exclude any. But I will stand up for my consumer rights.

If you have no answer for months - forget about it. Asus won't release a new firmware for you. If your TP-Link router is good for Gateway - use it with the 2x Asus routers as APs. If it's an old unsupported model - get a cheap wired router like TP-Link ER605, Ubiquiti ER-X or MikroTik hEX. Problem solved.

Listen... consumer rights for €100 products... just fix whatever you can yourself and enjoy life. I was helping friends remotely not long ago fixing bad Asus update locked routers. We've spend hours. Some of them were replaced and others fixed, but will be replaced in time. The real issue - replacing one consumer product with another doesn't guarantee the same thing won't happen again. Waiting for the manufacturer to help is just wasting your time.

@forum_dyskusyjne These models are good when they work. When they stop working well, it's a waste of time and energy to look for the cause. If your cable is fine, replace the routers.

I returned my device on warranty.
Now...
I have else one the same device, works correctly only Access Point.
My colleague has the same model and the same problems... Router loses network, what aproxy 72 hours.

I have else one the same device, works correctly only Access Point.

I would use them as APs then. The two routers are the same hardware and one is listed EOL. Just use what you've got the way you can.

I have several RT-AC58U V2 and RT-AC58U V3. They worked fine as a router. They still work fine as AP.
The two routers are the same hardware
It seems to me that RT-AC58U V3 and RT-AC59U V2 are different 2,4 GHz radios but I have not disassembled them to confirm this.

I am asking for help because I do not know what is causing the problem.
All routers was restarted to factory settings, network always have built from "scratch" - after factory reset.
Setting:
Parental control
QOS
etc. are OFF
Asus has an open support request...

Link to the video showing the measurements.

Part 1.
AIMESH routers: RT-AC59U V2 and RT-AC58U V3.
About every 72 hours, the connection speed periodically drops to 100Mb on WiFi and LAN .
Modem ISP LAN => WAN Asus.
Helps:
1. Removing and connecting the WAN cable to the ASUS router RT-AC59U V2.

Part 2. Test.
I put the TpLink C6 router between the ISP modem and the Asus router.
Modem ISP LAN => WAN TpLink LAN => WAN Asus.
The TpLink router has no speed drop.
Asus routers have a cyclical decrease in WiFi, LAN speed.
I tested both routers, behaviour routers is always the same.
Helps:
1. Removing and connecting the WAN cable to the ASUS router RT-AC59U V2 or RT-AC53U V3

ISP LAN modem - has the correct speed.

Film:
IMESH (00:00 - 04:00)
WiFi speed test (100Mb drop).
Correct speed.

TEST 1 (04:00 - 10:48)
Asus LAN Test - Down to 100Mb.
TpLink LAN test - correct.

TEST 2 (10:48 - 17:37)
Asus WiFi test - correct.
Have you try to disable 2.4G wireless? go to wireless then goto professinal tab, select 2.4G then disable it. The problem of slow speed is due to 2.4 and 5Ghz mix model, even 5G is very fast but the signal strength is weaker than 2.4, your mobile/PC internally select the stronger 2.4 G signal rather than 5G(even 5G bandwidth higher), therefore turn 2.4G off will enjoy the faster but low coverage, I tried it in my AC-59U, with 2.4 and 5G dual band mode, it only have around 100M, but only 5G mode able to have 890M. On the other hand, you can try to adjust your mobile / PC preference on bandwidth rather than signal strenght(it depends on your wireless card allow to have this feature to change it.)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!