What's new

ASUS RT AC-87U new firmware 3.0.0.4.382.52288

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JIPG

Regular Contributor
New FW has been released with several security fixes, in line with other ASUS models:

ASUS RT-AC87U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.52288
Security update
- Fixed CVE-2020-12695 (CallStranger)
- Fixed Reflected XSS vulnerability.
- Fixed Directory traversal vulnerability.
- Fixed CVE-2017-15653.

The update server transport layer security was upgraded and the old protocol was removed.
If your router firmware version is lower than 3.0.0.4.382.52230, please refer to the "Update Manually" section in https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008000 to update the firmware.

I saw this today when I queried my router, but the router's "heads-up" had not yet flagged it. Have you tried it and if so, were there any issues?

New FW has been released with several security fixes, in line with other ASUS models:

ASUS RT-AC87U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.52288
Security update
- Fixed CVE-2020-12695 (CallStranger)
- Fixed Reflected XSS vulnerability.
- Fixed Directory traversal vulnerability.
- Fixed CVE-2017-15653.

The update server transport layer security was upgraded and the old protocol was removed.
If your router firmware version is lower than 3.0.0.4.382.52230, please refer to the "Update Manually" section in https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008000 to update the firmware.

OK, I got impatient. I've got a short vacay coming up and wanted to get this off my plate. So… the update was interesting. I usually try the laziest way first. Hey, I have to get up from my desk, grab a laptop, and walk eight whole feet to plug into the router. That's almost like, what do they call it? Oh, yeah - WORK! The waves, man, from sitting in prox to this thing fry you, you know? I don't think the foil is helping anymore. So here's the lowdown:
  1. Backed up config (again)
  2. DL'd new 382-52288 fw & unzipped to NAS
  3. Ran update from desktop pointing 87 to NAS for the .trx file;
    • FAIL ONE: router went to 100%, rebooted and auto-reverted to prior FW, 52230.
  4. Copied 52288 to desktop on LAN
  5. Ran update from desktop pointing 87 to desktop for the file;
    • FAIL TWO: ditto prior
  6. Gave up, grabbed a laptop, copied 52288 to laptop, took the l-o-n-g walk
  7. Plugged the laptop directly into the 87 with ethernet
  8. Ran update from the laptop pointing the 87 to the now-attached laptop;
    • SUCCESS
  9. Confirmed all was well, then immediately backed up new settings on com
So the update seems to work fine as long as you run it directly plugged into the router versus trying to do it via WiFi, via the LAN, or from a NAS.

Full disclosure, my LAN has a dumb switch which may or may not contribute difficulties. Fwiw though, I am usually able to upgrade the FW over the LAN using my wired desktop with the file on the NAS.

Good to see it still gets updates from ASUS, thought it might be EOL.

Good to see it still gets updates from ASUS, thought it might be EOL.
Agreed! I seem to have been fortunate getting a couple where the Quantennas don't act up. The only real issues I've had are the occasional PEBKACs. ASUS has been first-class about updating the FW. I know they'll EOL someday but for now they are amazingly resilient and do a great job for us; and everytime they update these babies they secure a tighter and tighter brand loyalty—at least from me—when compared to other manufacturers' who abandon their customers hardware will-nilly.

EDIT: I got curious—we installed ours August 2015.

Last edited:
Regarding CVE-2020-12695, neither Asuswrt nor Asuswrt-Merlin were ever vulnerable to this. We use miniupnpd, which is not affected. Asus probably added it to their changelog only because Broadcom fixed it in their own upnp implementation, which Asuswrt does NOT use.

As for the rest, nobody knows what they changed for these, therefore it's impossible to answer. The changelog doesn't give any technical details.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!