What's new

ASUS RT AC1900 Router w Netgear M1 issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

:confused: OK the /jffs partition seems to have magically reappeared.

Let's look inside it:
Code:
ls -l /jffs/

:confused: OK the /jffs partition seems to have magically reappeared.

Let's look inside it:
Code:
ls -l /jffs/
upload_2020-4-13_20-5-35.png

OK So on the face of it everything should be working.

Let's see if the commands actually ran:
Code:
cat /jffs/scripts/nat-start

iptables -S -t mangle

You didn't disable "Extend TTL value" and "Spoof TTL value" as I asked you to earlier. Do that, reboot and try again.

OK I think I see the problem. Our script is not running in the correct sequence of events.

I think we need to rename it from nat-start to firewall-start. Do that with this command:
Code:
mv /jffs/scripts/nat-start /jffs/scripts/firewall-start
Then reboot again.

OK I think I see the problem. Our script is not running in the correct sequence of events.

I think we need to rename it from nat-start to firewall-start. Do that with this command:
Code:
mv /jffs/scripts/nat-start /jffs/scripts/firewall-start
Then reboot again.
upload_2020-4-13_20-41-32.png

Looks like it worked. If there are other settings that I should change Im all ears.

I would like to hijack this thread for a brief minute if I could :) I am looking to do something similar but am using an Android phone tethered via usb. In another thread I believe it was mentioned that I needed to modify the last line to read:

Code:
iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65

I have a few questions.

1. Do I need to add any lines or use a different file other than nat-start so that the script will run after tethering has been enabled on the phone which could be a few minutes after the router boots.

2. I am running Diversion and spdmerlin on the router. Am I going to screw anything up with those scripts when issuing the nano /jffs/scripts/nat-start command?

I'm a bit of a novice and learning. I didn't know if perhaps there was already a nat-start file on the router and if the nano command would overwrite it? Or does that just open the file if it already exist?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I just realized that the flash drive I'm using for my scripts is plugged into the USB 2 port and my tether is plugged into the USB 3 port. Should the code be changed to:

Code:
iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o usb1 -j TTL --ttl-set 65

Probably not. The network interface name isn't related to the physical USB socket. You can check the currently active WAN interface name with:
Code:
nvram get wan0_ifname

Thanks to all in this thread and snb. I also wanted to post my steps and results. Hopefully it will help someone and most importantly myself in the future when/if I have to do this again.

Note to self... navigate to scripts folder using cd /jffs/scripts.

I used winscp to play around with editing my script file and also to rename it from nat-start to firewall-start. Someone mentioned this somewhere and it worked well for me.

I connect using lan from my hotspot so I used "nvram get wan0_ifname" from above to find my wan. In my case it's vlan2 and not usb0 as others connecting via usb.

Here is my script. For some reason it didn't work well without the "-o vlan2". Download speed would hover around 50.
#!/bin/sh
modprobe xt_HL
modprobe xt_hl
iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o vlan2 -j TTL --ttl-set 65

These are set to No.
1615922285735.png

Set this to Yes.
1615922354364.png

Did this via putty:
Type: "nano /jffs/scripts/firewall-start" hit Enter
Paste the 4 lines below or edit if you used winscp to create your script file:
#!/bin/sh
modprobe xt_HL
modprobe xt_hl
Ctrl X, then Type "Y" and hit enter
Type "chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/*" hit enter
Rebooted router

If this all seems rudimentary, again it's mostly for future me.

Now results....
Did a speed test on my cellphone to test 4G speeds, got 116 Down and 26 Up.
Then did a speed test on my laptop made sure to select the same location/server as my cellphone. Got 123 Down and 36 Up.
1615923520204.png

From my results the script is working great and inline with my cellphone.

For what it's worth here's a ping from the router
1615924497668.png

And from cmd
1615924544699.png

Thanks again for everyone that asks questions and most importantly the kind folks that take time out of their day to help out.

Thanks to all in this thread and snb. I also wanted to post my steps and results. Hopefully it will help someone and most importantly myself in the future when/if I have to do this again.

Note to self... navigate to scripts folder using cd /jffs/scripts.

I used winscp to play around with editing my script file and also to rename it from nat-start to firewall-start. Someone mentioned this somewhere and it worked well for me.

I connect using lan from my hotspot so I used "nvram get wan0_ifname" from above to find my wan. In my case it's vlan2 and not usb0 as others connecting via usb.

Here is my script. For some reason it didn't work well without the "-o vlan2". Download speed would hover around 50.
#!/bin/sh
modprobe xt_HL
modprobe xt_hl

These are set to No.
View attachment 32086

Set this to Yes.
View attachment 32087

Did this via putty:
Type: "nano /jffs/scripts/firewall-start" hit Enter
Paste the 4 lines below or edit if you used winscp to create your script file:
#!/bin/sh
modprobe xt_HL
modprobe xt_hl
Ctrl X, then Type "Y" and hit enter
Type "chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/*" hit enter
Rebooted router

If this all seems rudimentary, again it's mostly for future me.

Now results....
Did a speed test on my cellphone to test 4G speeds, got 116 Down and 26 Up.
Then did a speed test on my laptop made sure to select the same location/server as my cellphone. Got 123 Down and 36 Up.
View attachment 32088

From my results the script is working great and inline with my cellphone.

For what it's worth here's a ping from the router
View attachment 32089

And from cmd
View attachment 32090

Thanks again for everyone that asks questions and most importantly the kind folks that take time out of their day to help out.
I'm amazed that this worked for so long for myself and hopefully this thread has helped as many people as possible. I still have this same setup, however, yesterday, Verizon informed me that I have exceeded my data usage and they shut off this sim card data. Never had an issue prior to yesterday. I'm assuming that they detected the IMEI and realized that I wasn't using a phone. Is there a way to spoof the IMEI from the cell phone on the Nighthawk M1 and the ASUS router to continue to use the unthrottled data?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!