What's new

Asus RT-AC1900 using Netgear Nighthawk M1 TTL bypass issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bvoorhis

Occasional Visitor
I live in the sticks and internet options are few, far between and incredibly over priced. My solution is to open another line on my Verizon account and use that SIM in my Netgear Nighthawk M1. This works great with streaming until we hit our data limit before throttling. After the limit our speeds plummet. A solution I saw on YouTube through Ogne Tech was to use the Asus RT-AC1900 with Merlin wrt. I followed the instructions and used Putty. When inputing the first line "nano /jffs/scripts/nat-start" after logging into my router I get the prompt
[ Directory '/jffs/scripts' does not exist ]
in red text. Im not really sure where to go from there. I am not very computer savy. Im just trying to get my family internet without getting raped by internet companies. I have searched high and low for a fix but Im not getting anywhere fast. Any help would be appreciated.

Did you enable the 'Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs' on the Administration, System tab? :)

Make sure to hit 'Apply' at the bottom of that page too. ;)

Did you enable the 'Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs' on the Administration, System tab? :)

Make sure to hit 'Apply' at the bottom of that page too. ;)
I sure did. I then rebooted too just like in the video. Im able to log into the router through Putty so I know the "Enable JFFS Custom Scripts" was on.

When inputing the first line "nano /jffs/scripts/nat-start" after logging into my router I get the prompt
[ Directory '/jffs/scripts' does not exist ]
Well, does it? What happens if you "cd /jffs/scripts"?
If that fails maybe you need to to try "Format JFFS partition at next boot".

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U 384.16_0 Sun Apr 5 17:34:31 UTC 2020
Voorhis@RT-AC1900P-5640:/tmp/home/root# cd /jffs/scripts
-sh: cd: can't cd to /jffs/scripts
Voorhis@RT-AC1900P-5640:/tmp/home/root#

It does this.

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U 384.16_0 Sun Apr 5 17:34:31 UTC 2020
Voorhis@RT-AC1900P-5640:/tmp/home/root# cd /jffs/scripts
-sh: cd: can't cd to /jffs/scripts
Voorhis@RT-AC1900P-5640:/tmp/home/root#

It does this.
If you run “df” is /jffs in the output?

I suggest you reset the router via reset button, reflash the router with firmware. Once its fully booted reset it again.

Can you post a screen shot of it?
When I initially had this issue, i did a factory reset on the router and modem. I performed the entire process over. I have 384.13_6 version loaded. As soon as I get home from work and can run it again I will. Would you prefer the screenshot or log? Also, how do I do a screen shot?

upload_2020-4-12_11-25-54.png

This is what pops up after entering the first line.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    15.2 KB · Views: 222
View attachment 22598
This is what pops up after entering the first line.
upload_2020-4-12_11-32-42.png

Then this happens with the next line of text. I know with the last image that this wouldnt work but I wanted to give you the product so you have more information. I have done several factory resets on the RT-AC1900 and the Netgear Nighthawk and followed the process several times to make sure that Im not doing something incorrectly and all attempts have created the same exact result. As I stated in my original post, I know that I am not tech savy (borderline completely inept) and I appreciate all of your time and help. Any direction helps. Thank you.

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 33536 33536 0 100% /
devtmpfs 127732 0 127732 0% /dev
tmpfs 127836 464 127372 0% /tmp

Running df produces this.
The fundamental problem remains that you don't have a /jffs partition. You need to be seeing something like this to be able to save the script:
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/# df
Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root          21376   21376         0 100% /
devtmpfs          127716       0    127716   0% /dev
tmpfs             127824    6060    121764   5% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock4     64256    8080     56176  13% /jffs

Ignoring that issue for the moment you can try entering the relevant commands at the prompt to see if it actually works. If it doesn't work then there's no point continuing this process. So enter the following - don't reboot the router or apply any changes through the GUI - and then test your client.
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/# modprobe xt_HL
admin@RT-AC68U:/# modprobe xt_hl
admin@RT-AC68U:/# iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 100

The fundamental problem remains that you don't have a /jffs partition. You need to be seeing something like this to be able to save the script:
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/# df
Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root          21376   21376         0 100% /
devtmpfs          127716       0    127716   0% /dev
tmpfs             127824    6060    121764   5% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock4     64256    8080     56176  13% /jffs

Ignoring that issue for the moment you can try entering the relevant commands at the prompt to see if it actually works. If it doesn't work then there's no point continuing this process. So enter the following - don't reboot the router or apply any changes through the GUI - and then test your client.
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/# modprobe xt_HL
admin@RT-AC68U:/# modprobe xt_hl
admin@RT-AC68U:/# iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 100
It says "not found" for each command.

It says "not found" for each command.
Can you provide a screenshot please?

EDIT: Can you also confirm that this is a genuine Asus branded router and not a Netgear or one from a mobile phone operator that's been re-flashed with Asus firmware.

Disable Jffs. Click apply.

Enable jffs and format jffs at next reboot. Click apply.

Reboot router by clicking reboot Button on top of the GUI menu.

wait 5 min and putty in to router. Try the commands again.

Can you provide a screenshot please?

EDIT: Can you also confirm that this is a genuine Asus branded router and not a Netgear or one from a mobile phone operator that's been re-flashed with Asus firmware.
I am going to re download the wrt zip and re flash the router. The router is an ASUS AC-1900 Dual Band router. The internet is coming from a Netgear Nighthawk M1 with a Verizon SIM card in it for my cell line.

Alright, well, it looks like I had issues with the file that I unzipped from Merlin wrrt. I think thats corrected because the I am able to run the jffs command and input the correct commands. Now it looks like I just need to configure my router properly to take the data from my Netgear Nighthawk. Ill look in the other sections of the forum for advice on that since this thread doesnt apply. I appreciate all of your time.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!