What's new

Asus RT-AC3100 2.4 WiFi down... use a second router for 2.4?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steven B

New Around Here
Main question:
Given my below situation, is it best to use a second router connected to the main router via ethernet as the 2.4 GHz access point?

Rationale:
  • The RT-AC3100 is not the cheapest (or most expensive) router, so replacing it is not preferred.
  • The 5 GHz and ethernet connections seem to work flawlessly.
  • There are only one or two devices unable to connect to 5 GHz.

Secondary question:
If using a second router seems like the preferred solution, would it be best to get a cheap Asus router for some unknown compatibility reason?

Free thoughts:
The actual problem on the RT-AC3100 is the 2.4 GHz broadcasts the SSID but does not let devices actually connect. I tried the factory reset, firmware change, RAM clearing process, and router isolation routes to try and connect to the 2.4. I also tested changing the SSID and password/security. Since I could successfully flash different firmware versions, I assumed trying the recovery mode method would not benefit me any. The router has from Day 1 been connected to a UPS as well, except for when I test-isolated the router in a different room.
After weeks of trying to test/fix the 2.4 side of the router, life in my household seems fine without a 2.4 wireless connection. The Roomba is the main thing that works without WiFi but could work better with it. I tried the warranty route with the router, but Best Buy wants to simply sell me a Geek Squad plan (waste of time/money, no trust in their capabilities) and Asus's support inbox conveniently became full.

I'm all ears for suggestions. It does seem a $30 router can (permanently?) fix the problem, but I am still holding out buying one out of hope. It just is crazy to me as a software engineer that the device can broadcast the SSID but not connect. I am not a network guy though and do not know the internal workings of how the connection is actually made...​

Main question:
Given my below situation, is it best to use a second router connected to the main router via ethernet as the 2.4 GHz access point?

Rationale:
  • The RT-AC3100 is not the cheapest (or most expensive) router, so replacing it is not preferred.
  • The 5 GHz and ethernet connections seem to work flawlessly.
  • There are only one or two devices unable to connect to 5 GHz.

Secondary question:
If using a second router seems like the preferred solution, would it be best to get a cheap Asus router for some unknown compatibility reason?

Free thoughts:
The actual problem on the RT-AC3100 is the 2.4 GHz broadcasts the SSID but does not let devices actually connect. I tried the factory reset, firmware change, RAM clearing process, and router isolation routes to try and connect to the 2.4. I also tested changing the SSID and password/security. Since I could successfully flash different firmware versions, I assumed trying the recovery mode method would not benefit me any. The router has from Day 1 been connected to a UPS as well, except for when I test-isolated the router in a different room.
After weeks of trying to test/fix the 2.4 side of the router, life in my household seems fine without a 2.4 wireless connection. The Roomba is the main thing that works without WiFi but could work better with it. I tried the warranty route with the router, but Best Buy wants to simply sell me a Geek Squad plan (waste of time/money, no trust in their capabilities) and Asus's support inbox conveniently became full.

I'm all ears for suggestions. It does seem a $30 router can (permanently?) fix the problem, but I am still holding out buying one out of hope. It just is crazy to me as a software engineer that the device can broadcast the SSID but not connect. I am not a network guy though and do not know the internal workings of how the connection is actually made...​

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!