What's new

Asus RT-AC3200 Smart Connect Rules Fine Tuning

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I know this is old , I have an ac5300 with a bunch of aimesh nodes. The 2nd 5ghz radio is dedicated to backhaul so this messes with the logic of smart connect I have seen posted here 2.4 / 5g1 / 5g2. Also I have a axe-11000 and it just doesn’t make sense to mix it with older devices , either as master or node . As master it wants to use 6ghz as dedicated backhaul, but I have no other axe devices. As node all other devices use the second 5ghz band (if available) as wireless backhaul. How do I set smart connect to get max speed in the house ? I have the main and six nodes. And then use 2.4ghz when outside away from the nodes?

I'm new to this forum, I struggled with smart connect settings trying to figure out how it works. I think there are some correlations to do to find a configuration that fits your own needs but is important to keep it simple. I have an AC5300 with 3.0.0.4.386_43576-g649d261 fw (waiting for AXE110000 still not available in Italy), my flat is not big and this is my configuration (sorry values are in italian) I don't have other AiMesh devices.

1637307875915.png

My intent is to use 2.4 for every old or iot device, 5-1 for every n device and ac device with RSSI less than -60 dbm, 5-2 for every ac device with good signal. I have about 20 devices in my home and they are moving between bands more or less correctly.
I think that Steering Trigger Condition is also the condition to respect to connect to every band so these settings should be relaxed otherwise some device can't connect to the desired band. STA and Interface Selection are the effective settings that you should use to move to the desired band and I don't believe they could manage OR relations, so also these settings should be set quite simple (less is more :) always) .
I found out that some device doesn't respect exactly my settings and this colud be due to client side wireless configuration, but for the moment I'm happy how my router is working managing wireless connections. I close this post telling that I have no assurance to have understood how smart connect works but maybe some statement is near the truth, only ASUS or Broadcom could confirm...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!