What's new

Asus RT-AC5300 low bandwidth

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Johan1974NL

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have a big difference in speeed from my provider modem to my asus modem. When i connect to my provider modem speedtest gives me a value over 900Mbps.
This is more or less what i would expect as i have a 1000MBps subscription.

When i connect my asus to my ISP modem and run a speed test i only get half the speed if i am lucky.
Allready did a factory reset to my router but still i can not find where this big difference comes from.

Between my ISP modem and my Router i have a Factory made Cat5E cable.

What i do see when i run the asus speedtest on the router that both my cpu cores shoot to 100%

Can someone tell me how i can reach the same speeds (or nearby) as my ISP modem?

Thanks!

Johan
-----------
ASUS RT-AC5300 (powered by Asuswrt Merlin)
Firmware version: 386.5_2

The high CPU usage and low throughput suggests that hardware acceleration is disabled. Enabling features like QoS or AiProtection can do this. Go to Tools > System Information > Network and see what it says next to HW acceleration.

P.S. The RT-AC5300 isn't a modem, it's a wireless router.

What i do see when i run the asus speedtest on the router that both my cpu cores shoot to 100%

If you have TrendMicro AiProtection + Adaptive QoS on this router, you won't get Gigabit speeds. The CPU used in RT-AC5300 is Broadcom BCM4709C0 ARMv7, exactly the same as in RT-AC1900P. I had both routers for experiments very recently. Full Gigabit only with TrendMicro disabled.

After doing the factory reset, did you minimally and manually configure the router? Or did you use a saved backup config file? If you did the latter, that effectively negated the factory reset you performed.

In either case, the RT-AC5300 (which is pushing over 7 years old now) is underpowered for the onboard speed test with its dual 1.4GHz CPU and 512MB of RAM. Don't use that test with 1Gbps ISP speeds.

Have you tested from a wired (Ethernet) connected (and AC powered) client device yet to see the real speeds the router is capable of routing?

One the GUI speedtest is CPU limited, second the router just can't do full Gigabit with all the bells and whistles enabled. Still capable router though. I wouldn't rush replacing it just because of new Gigabit ISP. It can push quite a bit of throughput with 3x radios to multiple clients.

The high CPU usage and low throughput suggests that hardware acceleration is disabled. Enabling features like QoS or AiProtection can do this. Go to Tools > System Information > Network and see what it says next to HW acceleration.

P.S. The RT-AC5300 isn't a modem, it's a wireless router.
Colin,

Hardware accelaration is enabled. And yes you are right it is not a modem, my bad. :)

If you have TrendMicro AiProtection + Adaptive QoS on this router, you won't get Gigabit speeds. The CPU used in RT-AC5300 is Broadcom BCM4709C0 ARMv7, exactly the same as in RT-AC1900P. I had both routers for experiments very recently. Full Gigabit only with TrendMicro disabled.
Tech9,

AI Protection is and QS is turned off. I turned off all extra features in this router just to prevent it is a blocking issue for the speed.

After doing the factory reset, did you minimally and manually configure the router? Or did you use a saved backup config file? If you did the latter, that effectively negated the factory reset you performed.

In either case, the RT-AC5300 (which is pushing over 7 years old now) is underpowered for the onboard speed test with its dual 1.4GHz CPU and 512MB of RAM. Don't use that test with 1Gbps ISP speeds.

Have you tested from a wired (Ethernet) connected (and AC powered) client device yet to see the real speeds the router is capable of routing?

Did a factory reset and started from there, still with speeds maximum to a 400-500 range.

Any routers you advice to take a look at that can handle these speeds with more ease?

Did a factory reset and started from there, still with speeds maximum to a 400-500 range.
Are you testing from an Ethernet connected LAN client? The router's built-in speed test won't give an accurate result.

Any routers you advice to take a look at that can handle these speeds with more ease?
Something like the RT-AX86U will be capable of gigabit throughput if you don't enable AiProtection.