What's new

Asus RT-AC5300 wierd problem with games

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Atomic7431

Occasional Visitor
I have the router in title, im on a 330/45 mb connection here in the uk.

I have the latest merlin version firmware 384.13, i have flashed this more than once and done complete factory wipe no restore of any kind.

Now me and my 2 kids play fps games a lot, for instance apex legends. So we can go on and play do really well (top 3 most games) that evening.
Get up the next day and we go on again and cant seem to hit a barn door, check ping looks ok 18ms max, usually aroun 7ms / 8ms.
Check bufferbloat its between ratings of B and A. So i think ok reboot router, then we game again. Suddenly were back to hitting everything and doing as we would normally, top 5 area with around 7 kills each, buffler bloat is usally an A after reboot.

Ive been monitoring this for a couple of weeks now, and been trying to get to the bottom of the issue for a lot longer, ive changed network cables, plugged everyone directly into the router and not the netgear switch. Seen the same result for a while, i even changed supplier and still see the same issues, i tried the provided fritzbox as well and it seems to not cope with the connection to well at all.

So what could this be? is it time for a new router with SQM, fq-codel and see how it goes or is it something else?
I was using the script on here by fresh jr at one point but its had no updates for a while either.

all help appreciated, do i need to find a new router?

ps. The router is about 2 years old now.
pps. also i had this kind of issue at my old address with this router but i just blamed the poor connection we had at the time, 5mb/0.7mb, but im wondering if router was at fault as well.

I wonder if the cpu cant handle the processing at fast speed of 300MB connection to well with the fq-codel (1.4 GHz dual-core processor)

Do i need a quad core cpu, reading around it may be the case......

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!