What's new

ASUS RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Currently 10Gbe is just too expensive to implement so they cant go for that but using a fast CPU and the PCIe busses is a much better way for internal design than RGMII and cheaper than 10Gbe interface implementations.
Quantenna Announces World’s First 802.11ac 10G Wave 3 Wi-Fi Product Line
http://www.quantenna.com/pressrelease-09_08_15.html

World’s Fastest 10Gbps Family for Wi-Fi Access Points Features True 8x8
and MIMO for 5GHz and 2.4GHz to Manage High-Density Wireless Networks

Quantenna Announces World’s First 802.11ac 10G Wave 3 Wi-Fi Product Line
http://www.quantenna.com/pressrelease-09_08_15.html

World’s Fastest 10Gbps Family for Wi-Fi Access Points Features True 8x8
and MIMO for 5GHz and 2.4GHz to Manage High-Density Wireless Networks
Imagine the price. Take a look at the current AC router prices and how a newer one is always more expensive but never really goes down in price. It could cost $500 or more. Not only that but i wonder if they're gonna include actual 10G ethernet too or SFP+.

Last edited:
Imagine the price. Take a look at the current AC router prices and how a newer one is always more expensive but never really goes down in price. It could cost $500 or more. Not only that but i wonder if they're gonna include actual 10G ethernet too or SFP+.

Let me be honestly blunt here:

I ain't touching another Quantenna-based device anytime soon. Sure, my AC87U worked probably better than it did for a lot of other users. I kept it as my main router despite having an RT-AC3200 for development. But that doesn't change the endless stream of beta SDKs, very specific issues with specific devices, and so on.

And I suspect it's the case for a lot of burned customers out there.

I ain't touching another Quantenna-based device anytime soon. Sure, my AC87U worked probably better than it did for a lot of other users. I kept it as my main router despite having an RT-AC3200 for development. But that doesn't change the endless stream of beta SDKs, very specific issues with specific devices, and so on.

Google on hub is using qualcomm so im guessing you're not touching that one either.

Google on hub is using qualcomm so im guessing you're not touching that one either.

Why? Qualcomm's wireless SoCs are fairly good in general, nowhere as problematic as Quantenna's lab experiment that the QSR1000 turned out to be.

Why? Qualcomm's wireless SoCs are fairly good in general, nowhere as problematic as Quantenna's lab experiment that the QSR1000 turned out to be.
it can get confusing which brand is which sometimes. But since the AC5300 is using broadcom im assuming you'd be getting your hands all over it?

I totally agree. I will only trust a chipset vendors with the capacity to make their products compatible with a broad range of chipsets.

And their whole excuse for not having MU-MIMO ready is lame since they could a least have made it work with their own chipsets. Currently I own a RT-AC87U and an EA-87U. Neither of which supports MU-MIMO currently despite both having a Quantenna chipset.

And their whole excuse for not having MU-MIMO ready is lame since they could a least have made it work with their own chipsets. Currently I own a RT-AC87U and an EA-87U. Neither of which supports MU-MIMO currently despite both having a Quantenna chipset.
Just curious, do you own any MU-MIMO enabled CLIENT devices?

Last edited:
Just curious, do you own any MU-MIMO enabled devices?
No but a own two MU-MIMO "ready" devices ;-)
I was actually considering investing in another EA-AC87 and if they would enable MU-MIMO on the Quantenna chipset (as they have promised) the two EA-AC87 would benefit from this. However although the speed of the EA-AC87 with the RT-AC87 is great, the stabillity is not. So I will not do that.

But the point is that Quantenna claims that MU-MIMO is not enabled since there is not adapters yet, is false. The EA-AC87 is an adapter and if you have more than one you would likely benefit from MU-MIMO being enabled. So there is no excuse for it not being ready yet - especially now where Qualcomm has delivered it.

MU-MIMO is meant to improve total bandwidth use in mixed device networks with 1x1 or 2x2 devices. It will not do anything to improve network performance with 4x4 devices. It doesn't increase range and certainly doesn't provide higher throughput in 4x4 to 4x4 bridge applications.

Although this is a paid article, it is very factual, with little marketing hype. It explains the conditions where MU-MIMO helps the most.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/32787-how-mu-mimo-makes-your-wifi-better

MU-MIMO is meant to improve total bandwidth use in mixed device networks with 1x1 or 2x2 devices. It will not do anything to improve network performance with 4x4 devices. It doesn't increase range and certainly doesn't provide higher throughput in 4x4 to 4x4 bridge applications.

Although this is a paid article, it is very factual, with little marketing hype. It explains the conditions where MU-MIMO helps the most.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/32787-how-mu-mimo-makes-your-wifi-better
Thanks Tim. Okay so using MU-MIMO with 4x4 gives no benefit. That means Broadcom XStream 4x4 would actually be better for a combination with two EA-AC87 since you could locate each one to their respective 5 GHz radio on the router (or let Smart Connect decide)?

That means Broadcom XStream 4x4 would actually be better for a combination with two EA-AC87 since you could locate each one to their respective 5 GHz radio on the router (or let Smart Connect decide)?
Depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

it can get confusing which brand is which sometimes. But since the AC5300 is using broadcom im assuming you'd be getting your hands all over it?

I have no need for a second 5 GHz radio (the RT-AC3200 I have was only used for development purposes). The other model I'm currently working on is more interesting for me as my production router.

I have no need for a second 5 GHz radio (the RT-AC3200 I have was only used for development purposes). The other model I'm currently working on is more interesting for me as my production router.

Would the other model be the AC2600? :)

I want both EA-AC87s connected to the router and I want to be able to transfer files between the two in the fastet possible way. I assume that connecting one EA-AC87 to one 5 GHz and another EA-AC87 to the other 5 GHz radio will give the fastest possible transfer speed between the two EA-AC87's? And faster than if they were both connected to the same 5GHz radio.

I want both EA-AC87s connected to the router and I want to be able to transfer files between the two in the fastet possible way. I assume that connecting one EA-AC87 to one 5 GHz and another EA-AC87 to the other 5 GHz radio will give the fastest possible transfer speed between the two EA-AC87's? And faster than if they were both connected to the same 5GHz radio.

Yes, that is exactly how to do it.

Do we have any release date on this puppy? And will we get something like a Asus RT-AC88U / AC2600 in the same time period, being a RT-AC87U featuring Broadcom MU-MIMO chipset instead of Quantenna?

Smart Connect has yet to impress me on the RT-AC3200. I do love the concept, but the utilisation and how it works in practice has been really sub-par, at least with the RT-AC3200. Hoping the RT-AC5300 might improve on the Smart Connect feature, if not I would properly prefer to go with a RT-AC88 / AC2600 as the true successor to the RT-AC68U with full Broadcom chipset instead of any Quantenna nonsense.

This is true. I've replaced my RT-AC87 with an OnHub, and even though the OnHub is very new, it's still far more reliable. I even get better range. I am still connected to my Wifi 600ft from my house, and can easily stream from that far away, which is something that I've never been able to do with any router at my address. Usually I can receive the signal, but my router can't see my phone, so they're doing something right.

I think Asus and QTN probably pushed things a bit too hard on the 87U - most of the complaints are stability oriented, haven't heard of any issues with performance when it's not busy having issues - for many, it might work ok..

On another thread - there's some discussion on the MU routers - and I think there might be some benefit to all clients, MU or SU, as they have that extra radio, and in SU, that extra SS does help...

Having an AC1900 class router, I wouldn't run out and get a AC2400 class - but if someone were shopping, I would suggest looking at AC2400 as a solution going into 2016...

I do think think this might have more consistent performance across different usage scenarios - hard to measure perhaps, but initial feedback on the current shipping MU Routers/AP's have been positive, even without MU clients on hand..

Similar to the improvements we see with AC1900 class devices with legacy 11n clients, which was shown in your testing (and a bit of a surprise)