What's new

ASUS RT-AC66u Accessing Past Bandwidht/Traffic Logfiles

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You're likely not on the right rate plan for your usage... if you have basic access, this actually seems reasonable - ATT is going to bill you to the rate plan, so talk to customer care and get that changed...

Actually the best advice given yet in this thread.

It is sad but true you may have to pay more in order to 'avoid' paying even more I suppose!:(

FWIW - every time we were contested - we had a Layer 3 and above optimization platform - and Citrix/ByteMobile is pretty good about seeing exactly what folks where watching... those are deep packet inspection platforms that can overcome VPN's...

got pron?

Once we delivered data on what folks were actually watching - they went away...

FWIW - 80 percent of the traffic noted over VPN and TOR was pron

Yes, ISP's see it - and it does get reported for the really offensive stuff - sources and sinks are shared across all the ISP's

Actually the best advice given yet in this thread.

It is sad but true you may have to pay more in order to 'avoid' paying even more I suppose!:(

OP is probably on a promotional rate plan, and it will sun set into a regular one once the promo period expires.

Most ISP's, esp ones that have TV as well, are shifting rate plans accordingly...

Talk to customer care - not just ATT, but any ISP...

I had AT&T U-verse for ten years until recently. We originally had their U-200 package but backed off to a standard package due to cost and the fact we rarely watched anything other than major network programming. We installed AppleTV a couple of years ago and began using more and more frequently. Then "DirecTV Now" announced their intent for a "cloud DVR" so we added service to AppleTV and slowly stopped using U-verse. I did a cost model and found that by dropping AT&T U-verse (which included internet) and subscribing to local cable internet (Spectrum) we would save money (not counting introductory offers) and go from 24Mbps to 200Mbps. We cut the cord with AT&T and watch TV on the internet using DirecTV, Netflix, Prime Video, and CBS Prime and we are loving it. Monthly costs are still definitely less than AT&T.

Yea, we don't have any Cable packages out here in the boonies..

Which works out fine because we haven't, with the exception of the SuperBowl OTA, watched any network or cable TV in over a decade...

Which explains our high bandwidth.. :D

You don't have them by the shorts - seriously - they're going to go by their numbers - they charge by buckets of bits - and every time that bucket empties, they add another.

Troo.. But I suspected that THEIR numbers were wrong.. As it turns out, the ASUS router was showing inaccurate data.. Considering our daily usage, I am now more inclined to believe ATT...

OTOH, they over-charged me $40 for over a year and a half, so I did get a nice credit back from them that will cover more than a few month's phone bills. :D
It only took sending a detailed email to the Office Of The President of ATT... To their credit, once THAT ball got rolling, my problem was resolved within 24 hours..

My only goal here is to get it to where I can check my usage at my end to figure out some ways to cut back...

And speaking of which......

Ah, yes. You need to boot the router in recovery mode. Once in recovery mode point your browser at http://192.168.1.1 and you should see the CFE miniWeb Server from which you can load the firmware.

Be aware that it can take up to 40 minutes to flash using this method:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-n66u-stuck-in-recovery-mode-firmware-fails.35838/#post-292039

I played with this a little last night.. I am having trouble putting the ASUS into Recovery Mode..

My ASUS doesn't have an ON/OFF button so I pull the power plug, push the reset button and hold it, then plug the power back in.. I don't see a definitive "blink" on the power LED, but rather a slow on then off.. After I see that, I release the reset button, the power LED still goes on, then off slowly and the IP is still what it was set for (192.168.2.8)...

Is the lack of an actual ON/OFF button a problem???

According to the pictures the power button is on the back between power socket and the USB sockets.

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC66U/

Here's the Asus documents for recovery mode:

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1000814/

Note that after getting the router into recovery mode they don't use the CFE miniWeb Server to load the firmware, they use a Windows utility.

Either will do but I prefer the former because the Windows utility will show a timeout error message after a few minutes and say the process has failed, whereas in reality it's still applying the update.

Yea, I got this router at a discount because the power button was broke off so the previous owner just hard wired the router to ON.. Got it for only $10 :D

I'll check the FAQ.. Thanx

OK So, according to the FAQ, I didn't have it in recovery mode.. Just need to download that lil diddy and should be good ta go.. :D

Thanx again..

Last edited:
OK I got the new firmware in and it looks like what I need...

But a problem..

My grandson has been on FORTNITE for at least a couple hours off his iphone...

ASUS is not registering the data use...

Attachments

• ASUS3.jpg
    ASUS3.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 409
My grandson has been on FORTNITE for at least a couple hours off his iphone...
Bear in mind that screen only shows you how much traffic is being transferred at that moment in time (actually probably about 2 seconds). So it's quite easy to miss the data as there will be a momentary spike followed by a gap. I'm not sure whether that page auto-refreshes or whether you have to do it manually.

Rather than looking at the real-time stats try looking at the last 24 hour totals.

Maybe his phone is using mobile data rather than WiFi.

EDIT: Also, you've set the scale to MB. Games like Fortnite only use very small amounts of data, a few kB/s. So it's possible that you're not seeing it because it's too small a number to display.

Last edited: