What's new

asus RT-AC66U AND 4G

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jonnym

Occasional Visitor
Hello all
My first post so be gentle!

I want to use the Asus RT-AC66U with a 4g USB modem as my homes permanent internet connection. In the new house the fastest broadband connection we get is 1.5-2mb download, so for the past year we have been using an unlimited tethering plan for the internet from our phones. Its worked out OK.

I now want to hook the system up to a router and get it working with the network, the plan is to use a the RT-AC66U and a Huawei E8278 4G USB modem. Do you think it will work?

I'm leaning towards the Huawei E8278 4G USB modem as I can attach external aerial.

Thanks for any help

Jon

Last edited:
Another quick question (not that I'm having much luck with answers on this forum:rolleyes:).

It the usb port struggles with data transfer on USB, I've read its around 19mb write and 13mb read, does thia mean that the 4g USB modem plugged in will also have these restrictions? Is there another way of using the rt ac66u with either a usb or mifi modem which avoids this bottle neck?

Would the usb 3 of the rt ac68u work better for this application?

Thanks

Jon

EDIT:if anyone else comes across this it seems 20mb down and 8mb up is possible; http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=13145

Last edited:
USB disks have to deal with additional overhead, as you are also running Samba on top of this.

Thanks for the reply Merlin, much appreciated.

I found this here

"All ASUS routers are capped and don't support 4G/LTE speeds above 22.5 Mbits.

I am using a ROOter as "frontend" (TP-Link 3420v2) and my ASUS RT-N66U as
router for my household. I have a 80Mbits LTE connection, usually around 50Mbits.

I also dont know the reason that ASUS don't support high speeds? maybe a license issue???

Therefore I am also searching for a bridge-manual for ROOter but it seems to be a difficult and my own tests with different OpenWRT-guides always ends in a 30/30/30-reset :)
"

From here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2067825

If that is true I'm more than a little disappointed. I've seen a possible solution using ZTE W5 as it has an rj45 wan port, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111484601145?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I'm yet to work out if its a true LTE or even works on the UK mobile networks, but looks promising.

Thanks

Jon

Hi there,

FP too... just wondering if you had any joy with the E8278 and RT-N66U? I'm trying to do the same thing, and was going to start jumping through hoops... best ask and see if you had any joy first...

Thanks in advance,

Nick