What's new

Asus RT-AC68 Overclock not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I did update the CFE however bogomips still shows defsult values....weird for me.

You need to set it in NVRAM and then propagate it to the CFE as stated in post #16. Otherwise it won't stick.
"nvram set asuscfeclkfreq=1400,800 && nvram set asuscfecommit=1
nvram set clkfreq=1400,800 && nvram commit && reboot"

Do I copy that in putty?

I use "nvram set clkfreq=1000,666
nvram commit" which still works.

"nvram set asuscfeclkfreq=1400,800 && nvram set asuscfecommit=1
nvram set clkfreq=1400,800 && nvram commit && reboot"

Do I copy that in putty?
Yes.
I use "nvram set clkfreq=1000,666
nvram commit" which still works.
IIRC, those commands just set clkfreq in NVRAM but do not persist over multiple reboots. I don't remember the exact scenario. OTOH, that may be a safer way to test the clkfreq before commiting to a higher freq.

they not even survive long run, as they are reloaded from cfe every hour (or similar period) in newer firmwares.

I couldn't get it to stick anymore... got a 86u look on Newegg they have cheap refurbs sometimes. 86u is millenium falcon.

I haven't update the Merlin version since 378.56_2 and heard that later version will not support overclock. 1200Mhz was very stable.

Will someone can provide an update method of overclock for the latest Merlin firmware ?

Thanks

they are reloaded from cfe every hour (or similar period) in newer firmwares.

:mad::mad::mad:

Modify the CFE it is ...... throw the modding community under the bus.

(For ASUS reps....modding community support is extra sales/respect ... refer to WRT54G ..... hostility is opposite)
+
(Wasn't Asus-WRT copied from open source tomato project .........)

I couldn't get it to stick anymore... got a 86u look on Newegg they have cheap refurbs sometimes. 86u is millenium falcon.
86U got 1800MHz out of the box, we are speaking about 68U !!!

I haven't update the Merlin version since 378.56_2 and heard that later version will not support overclock. 1200Mhz was very stable.

Will someone can provide an update method of overclock for the latest Merlin firmware ?

Thanks
its working with all firmwares even recent ones if you change it with asuscfe commands!

Hi, i can't go back to 800,666 with my ac68u, i don't know why

Code:
/tmp/home/root# nvram set clkfreq=800,666
commit
reboot

an after reboot it shows still 1000,800

Code:
/root# nvram get clkfreq

It will revert to the value written in CFE, did you ever change it there?
Might your router original be sold with 1000,800?

Correct commands shown in #16, but dont use 1400 as you probably end up with a nice brick!!!
Change all values to 800, 666 you'd like to have.

Last edited:
It will revert to the value written in CFE, did you ever change it there?
Might your router original be sold with 1000,800?

Correct commands shown in #16, but dont use 1400 as you probably end up with a nice brick!!!
Change all values to 800, 666 you'd like to have.

I've never touched the CFE :)) is stable, but had to add a small fan mounted on the rear side, temp's are under 80 degree

Will try settings of the 16'th post, thank you

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, this is just an FYI - I've got 2 units, an original 800Mhz unit, and a more recent 1000Mhz unit which is badged as an AC1900.

The 800Mhz unit is setup as an AiMesh node and it overclocks to 1200,666 just fine.

The 1000Mhz unit refuses to overclock beyond its stock 1000,666 however, it does the same as elsewhere in this thread where it drops back to 100Mhz if I try.
Both units are on the same firmware version (Merlin 384.17) - so interesting that one will overclock and one won't.

might have a different (newer) cfe where it wont work, RT-AC68P got slightly different hardware too.