What's new

Asus RT-AC68P Not Port Forwarding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Velcrosasquatch

New Around Here
I Got this Router recently and for the most part enjoy it, but the port forwarding simply has not worked.
I tried numerous switching of settings both on my own computer and the router settings.
Is this a common issue?
Can someone give me some advice on things other than the obvious to check.
I don't really know what else I can add about my setup or attempts at fixing this issue.
Off the top of my head I've:
-Resetting the router
-tried on multiple computers
-attempted DMZ
-turned off the router firewall
-Switched off NAT acceleration

I would like to add that this isn't just a specific port, it's any port!
It's very frustrating.
If anyone on this forum could point me in a direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Did you remember to turn Enable Port Forwarding ON?

Can you paste a print screen of the port forwarding page?
Port forwarding is working on this router. There were some issues with some old Asus firmwares but any of the latest ones have no such problems.

Here it is

Attachments

• PWS.jpg
    PWS.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 696
Simple enough. So you have a service running on 192.168.1.176 using port 10700 tcp and/or udp.
I don't know what service and how do you test it. I can tell that I'm using the same firmware and I don't have any problems with port forwarding.

I'm suspecting the service you are running...
Try something bit different: forward a well know service, like ssh (tcp/22) from a machine inside your network to some other external facing tcp port - ex 44444.
And try to ssh from the internet on port 44444. In System log you should see it in Port Forwarding tab and the connection in Connection tabs.
And make sure the firewall on your internal machine allows connection you desire. You can install Wireshark on internal machine and monitor the traffic to confirm the connection reaches this machine.

I will try this soon and post results.
on a side note: troubleshooting with windows says something like: MORE THAN ONE DEVICE IS PERFORMING NETWORK ADDRESS TRANSLATION (NAT)
Being I know very little about networking, how would I go about fixing this? Is this possibly the issue?

I can't that windows troubleshooter is something I trust for the simple reason I never use it. But this may be a point to look into

Double nat - not too complicated to figure it out:
Step 1. You PC has 192.168.1.176
Step 2. Presumably your Asus has 192.168.1.1
Step 3. What's the WAN ip address of the Asus? Check the main page, WAN IP. If it's a public IP we can troubleshoot further the port forwarding.
If it's a private IP, something like 192.168.x.x or 10.something...Windows is right and you have a setup issue: ISP router is doing NAT and Asus is another router in the chain, doing nat one more time. And that's nothing you would like to have in your network - inefficient and troubles.
If so you should find a way to make ISP router to be a bridge - if ISP allows it; or have Asus in AP only mode.

The WAN IP is: 172.27.35.156
So I guess its not private.
I just tried to host a game in Quake to no avail.
I'll try that wireshark thing tomorrow, I just installed it.

172.27.x.x is a private address space.
So the problem is ISP equipment is acting as a router.
Either convert it to a bridge, if that's possible cause not all ISP allows it and not all routers can be just a bridge. If it's not possible the only option you have is not to use Asus as a router, but only as AP, and do the port forwarding in ISP router.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!