What's new

[ASUS RT-AC68R] QoS dropping speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Faith

New Around Here
Greetings all!

I am having a strange problem with my router. My current internet plan supports around 460 Mbps download and 25 Mbps Upload. When I turn QoS off, I receive the full speed amount. However, when I turn QoS on, the speed drops to about 180 Mbps. Might anyone know why this is happening? It even happened with the Asus original firmware. I have tried playing with the values and it isn’t fixing the issue ☹

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time and for reading!

Faith

Edit: I am on Merlin Firmware Version : 384.19

Last edited:
Thank you so much for replying! Traditional, Adaptive, and the Bandwidth limiter are dropping my internet speeds.

Greetings all!

I am having a strange problem with my router. My current internet plan supports around 460 Mbps download and 25 Mbps Upload. When I turn QoS off, I receive the full speed amount. However, when I turn QoS on, the speed drops to about 180 Mbps. Might anyone know why this is happening? It even happened with the Asus original firmware. I have tried playing with the values and it isn’t fixing the issue ☹

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time and for reading!

Faith

Edit: I am on Merlin Firmware Version : 384.19

I have read that using QoS when you have more than 300mbps is not useful.

Another interesting thing is that recently I had been having trouble with streaming even low bit rate shows with Merlin (not sure if that was before then .19 alphas and betas).

I loaded up 384.19 last night and, by chance, noticed that both Runner and Flow cache hardware acceleration were disabled after enabling QoS (default options).
That didn't seem right as I had always seen only the Runner disabled.

I disabled QoS and my streaming seemed to be ok but the jury is still out on that.
This morning I enabled QoS again but selected different options (fq_codel with Bridged/IPoE WAN packet overhead) and that has only disabled the Runner which is what I expected.

So, in your case, I'd question whether QoS is needed at all or maybe some different options will work.
But it's also possible that the AC68R behaves differently to my AX88U.

Ian

Go to Tools - System Information and check the status of HW acceleration. If it's disabled it should tell you why.

Traditional QoS will disable it meaning that your speed will be restricted to ~200Mbps. Adaptive QoS ought not to have this problem. I don't know about bandwidth limiter.

I just did a speedtest with Adaptive QoS on and couldn’t get much above 210 Mbps. I disabled QoS and still got about the same. I withdrew Trend Micro consent and it still didn’t improve much. But a reboot AFTER the withdrawal got me back to full CTF+FA acceleration and I get my expected 350 Mbps.

So for my lowly 68U, the loss of FA killed the chance to reach my provisioned speed. And enabling QoS will AT LEAST disable FA (w/ Adaptive QoS) and both CTF+FA with any other QoS.

I kinda like it. Now I need to download John’s fork and all will be right in the world again. Except for that pandemic... :rolleyes:

I too am experiencing a massive slowdown with adaptive QOS enabled (both stock and flex) on my RT-AX58U. It started after updating to merlin 384.19. My normal download is about 120mbps, and enabling QOS brings it down to a meager 5mbps. According to dslreports, enabling qos is causing my quality grade to drop to a D, which means 5-12% packet loss, which is probably the cause of the problem. With QOS on, I have runner disabled but flow cache enabled, which I think is normal. Maybe there's a bug in asus or merlin's firmware that's causing this drop.

Often, that means you’ve mixed up download and upload bandwidth numbers on the QoS page. Worth checking.

I double checked and they look right, 90% of speed test with qos off. They were the same settings I used on .18 when it was working. I wonder if this qos bug is specific to the RT-AX58U.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!