What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Dead?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

boggsie

New Around Here
I think my ASUS RT-AC68U is dead?

This router is setup as an AIMESH node, connected via Ethernet backhaul. I've been running Merlin on this and the base router (RT-AC88U) for more than a few years without any issues.

Today morning, I came downstairs and WiFi connectivity was unexpectedly absent.

I powered off and back on, and the power light did not illuminate.
I unplugged everything to troubleshoot on the bench with different (official ASUS) power bricks.

On the bench, I see a little more detail - when powering on:
The four ethernet lights and the wan light flicker momentarily and go dark.​
The USB 2.0 light is also illuminated and stays on until the power is turned off.​
No other lights illuminate:​
No light whatsoever - USB 3.0​
No light whatsoever - 2.4 Ghz​
No light whatsoever - 5Ghz​
No light whatsoever - Power​

I presume that for whatever reason, it simply didn't come back from my standard / automated 3 AM restart cycle.

I've tried to restore to factory via powering on with WPS button depressed, Reset button depressed, and both ... nothing changes or impacts the power-on lights described above.

Before I pitch it, I thought I would post here to see if I am missing any other methods of trying to bring it back to life.

I think my ASUS RT-AC68U is dead?

This router is setup as an AIMESH node, connected via Ethernet backhaul. I've been running Merlin on this and the base router (RT-AC88U) for more than a few years without any issues.

Today morning, I came downstairs and WiFi connectivity was unexpectedly absent.

I powered off and back on, and the power light did not illuminate.
I unplugged everything to troubleshoot on the bench with different (official ASUS) power bricks.

On the bench, I see a little more detail - when powering on:
The four ethernet lights and the wan light flicker momentarily and go dark.​
The USB 2.0 light is also illuminated and stays on until the power is turned off.​
No other lights illuminate:​
No light whatsoever - USB 3.0​
No light whatsoever - 2.4 Ghz​
No light whatsoever - 5Ghz​
No light whatsoever - Power​

I presume that for whatever reason, it simply didn't come back from my standard / automated 3 AM restart cycle.

I've tried to restore to factory via powering on with WPS button depressed, Reset button depressed, and both ... nothing changes or impacts the power-on lights described above.

Before I pitch it, I thought I would post here to see if I am missing any other methods of trying to bring it back to life.
You could try the ASUS firmware recovery tool here

Read up on how to use it though.

Thanks for the recommendation ... As you suggested, I went ahead and tried the Device Discovery and the Firmware Recovery tool(s). The instructions for both were similar and relatively straightforward. Alas, there is no joy in Mudville.

Yep, I had a AC3100 that gave up on me in a very similar fashion.:(

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!