What's new

asus rt-ac68u disconnecting from internet issues firmware 386.3_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gio3535

New Around Here
having issues on almost a daily basis where i have to reboot router to reconnect to internet. i do not know if there is any settings i should change or if newer update will fix this. any help on this is greatly appreciated. everything is up to date asus rt-ac68u firmware 386.3_2

Do you have a connection via PPPoE?

If you have a problem with disconnecting the Internet, try what helped me (read the attached thread). Flash 384.19, factory reset, set your router, dirty upgrade to 386.
I wonder if it will help you like me ...

Last edited:
similar problem with 68u resolved here:

similar problem with 68u resolved here:

Read the thread I added above.

having issues on almost a daily basis where i have to reboot router to reconnect to internet. i do not know if there is any settings i should change or if newer update will fix this. any help on this is greatly appreciated. everything is up to date asus rt-ac68u firmware 386.3_2
I just configured an AirMesh, AC86U as main, and AC68U as a node. Both have been factory reset and upgraded to version 386.3_2. The node was disconnected from time to time.

I will try to downgrade to 384 and update.

I have the same experience with 2 different ASUS routers on the 386 version, RT-AX58U and RT-AX88U. WAN connection dropping often, sometimes it will hold for a few days and on some days it disconnects twice. A few firmware versions ago, I remember my RT-AC87U not needing a reset for months and months.....
I might try the stock firmware until a new beta or release version comes our way.

Do you have a connection via PPPoE?

If you have a problem with disconnecting the Internet, try what helped me (read the attached thread). Flash 384.19, factory reset, set your router, dirty upgrade to 386.
I wonder if it will help you like me ...

hey thanks man i had the same prob, now i dirty flashed flashed the firmware u stated... do i need to factory setet the rt 68u node? or leave it as it is now? is there anything else to do ?

hey thanks man i had the same prob, now i dirty flashed flashed the firmware u stated... do i need to factory setet the rt 68u node? or leave it as it is now? is there anything else to do ?
@Metroguy, you have resurected a discussion from 2021. What firmware are you running on your RT-AC68U? The latest stable Asus-Merlin firmware for the RT-AC68U is 386.13.

@Metroguy, you have resurected a discussion from 2021. What firmware are you running on your RT-AC68U? The latest stable Asus-Merlin firmware for the RT-AC68U is 386.13.

I am using the 384 version u stated.... i am using RT-68U as a mesh node... will the merlin 386.13 cause the disconnect problem? because i had this problem with the latest official Asus firmware for RT-68U

Last edited:
I am using the 384 version u stated.... i am using RT-68U as a mesh node... will the merlin 386.13 cause the disconnect problem? because i had this problem with the latest official Asus firmware for RT-68U
The general consensus around here by more than a few is to run stock Asus firmware on the AiMesh nodes since one generally doesn't gain much benefit from the Asus-Merlin firmware features due to many features being disabled when the router is configured as a AiMesh node. AiMesh is what it is; more than a few seem to have issues with it working properly in these subforums.

If you are only using the RT-AC68U as an AiMesh node, what Asus router is being used as the main router and what firmware is it running?

The general consensus around here by more than a few is to run stock Asus firmware on the AiMesh nodes since one generally doesn't gain much benefit from the Asus-Merlin firmware features due to many features being disabled when the router is configured as a AiMesh node. AiMesh is what it is; more than a few seem to have issues with it working properly in these subforums.

If you are only using the RT-AC68U as an AiMesh node, what Asus router is being used as the main router and what firmware is it running?
i am using RT-AC88U as the main router . The firmware is on the latest official.

to add on now its about 2 hours since i flashed the RT-68U node with the older 384 FW. No disconnects so far

Your main router is EOL and the latest firmware is from last month.

You're okay for now, but you have a small window to upgrade your hardware to supported status. Then you can use the RT-AC88U as a node if needed (AX-class hardware is far superior to AC-class).

The link below shows what you may experience in your network too when upgrading to AX-class hardware. Note that the AC-class RT-AC86U was the previous 'king' of routers, and the RT-AX68U is an entry-level AX-class router (sadly, EOL today). And a single AX router simply dominates 2x AC routers... the king is dead, long live the new king...

Your main router is EOL and the latest firmware is from last month.

You're okay for now, but you have a small window to upgrade your hardware to supported status. Then you can use the RT-AC88U as a node if needed (AX-class hardware is far superior to AC-class).

The link below shows what you may experience in your network too when upgrading to AX-class hardware. Note that the AC-class RT-AC86U was the previous 'king' of routers, and the RT-AX68U is an entry-level AX-class router (sadly, EOL today). And a single AX router simply dominates 2x AC routers... the king is dead, long live the new king...

None of the clients I am using are WiFi 6 capable. So if I upgrade will there be improvement

Hi there I think I may have found out the possible reason why the RT-68u disconnecting itself from mesh. The moment I change the settings relating to usb 3.0/2.0 or "enable HDD hibernation" , the disconnect problem comes about and the node went offline. But it came back soon . I am not sure if anything related to that specific setting changes anything in the node or the main router has a bug resulting in this problem or is due to newest firmware bug for the RT-68u ?

So what ax router will U recommend.

Today, the best bang for the buck model with RMerlin support and proven stable and reliable is the RT-AX88U Pro.

My solution is I don't toggle settings on/off. Why do you need to change settings that often?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!