What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U firmware release 3.0.0.4.384_81351

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What is the recommended process for downgrading the stock firmware? I'm assuming a full nvram reset is recommended after flashing? Also, is it safe to backup/restore the router config from the current version to the previous version?

Thank you!

What is the recommended process for downgrading the stock firmware? I'm assuming a full nvram reset is recommended after flashing? Also, is it safe to backup/restore the router config from the current version to the previous version?

Thank you!

Before upgrading or downgrading the currently working firmware, you should make a backup of the config settings along with the downloaded firmware version which you made the backup from.

When downgrading the firmware, you may be lucky to just need to flash the previous working firmware. If there are issues, that is when a full reset to factory defaults (an M&M Config) is recommended.

Do not restore a backup from any other firmware version though; it is effectively the same thing as not doing a full (M&M Config) reset. :)

Thank you!

I dident do anything, just downgraded, been up now for 10 days 11 hrs all stable and connected. :D

Thank you!

Upload the desired firmware.

WebUI Restore/Initialize to reset to its factory default settings.

Configure minimally from scratch (no restore of saved settings).

Use the network and clients for awhile before adding any bells and whistle configuration. Avoid wholesale configuration (all at once) so that you can observe incremental changes as you go... unless you can trust a known working hardware/firmware/configuration otherwise... which hasn't been the case lately with AiMesh-enabled firmware.

OE

Issue with 384.81352 on 86U

So, my scheduled weekly reboot occurred last night. I awoke to 80 devices begging for wifi access and never getting more than 1-minute-on/1-minute-off on both bands from my 3 86Us (primary, 2 aimesh nodes), the primary router would also reboot every 15 minutes or so, my wired access was otherwise solid, and the logs were absolutely full of stuff I'll never understand. I was able to spend a solid 90 minutes preparing for war tonight. I have 4 firmwares downloaded, 9 browser tabs on what I determined could be useful information (nvram, factory resets, M&M something-or-other, etc), backed up every bit of data I could. I made copious notes preparing for lights-out worst-case-scenario where it would all go wrong and I'd be left paying by the GB on my phone's data plan trying to fix my mess. All day I would only get momentary distractions then I'd "remember I have cancer" but in my privileged world, I simply had a nagging feeling of doom from my non-functional home wireless investment. Anyways...

Step 1 thru The End: I simply did a manual firmware update to the primary router, using the same firmware that was already on it.

ROCK SOLID for 2 hours now. Logs are clean enough that I could eat off them.

And so goes the life of an ASUS customer, who has lived long enough to read all manner of horror stories on SNB. I'm ready for a streetfight and the other guy never showed up.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!