What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.306

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You claim he works for Asus....wheres the proof of that....that user is a fairly new account. Anyone can claim that and create a user name as such.

Because I have been exchanging emails (real emails, not forum PMs) with that person for over a year now, so I know who he is, including his real name. He's in fact my primary contact at Asus at this time.

If that were the case...then flashing other firmware versions and fast re-boot etc would have also triggered such a thing. It has never down such a thing all this time with all my flashing and rebooting and testing.

Anyway...it did wait several minutes...even tried resetting isp modem....nothing...

Ok, was worth considering as I had experienced it before.

I find it odd however that you would get authentication failure - the only difference between 291 and 306 that I could see regarding PPPoE is that Asus upgraded from rp-pppoe 3.10 to 3.11, to match what they had been using on the N66/N16/AC66U for years now. That's in fact what I am using in my own builds already - unless Asus did other changes at the same time that I have missed.

Ok, was worth considering as I had experienced it before.

I find it odd however that you would get authentication failure - the only difference between 291 and 306 that I could see regarding PPPoE is that Asus upgraded from rp-pppoe 3.10 to 3.11, to match what they had been using on the N66/N16/AC66U for years now. That's in fact what I am using in my own builds already - unless Asus did other changes at the same time that I have missed.

Well...what ever they changed...anything past .158 is unusable on my router.

Well...what ever they changed...anything past .158 is unusable on my router.

I had the same authentication issues for PPPoE (PAP authentication failure)

Fixed it by hard-resetting and flashing 205, verified PPPoE, then 291 and finally 306.

So Frustrated with my Asus AC68U that I turned it into a repeater, and pulled the old NETGEAR WNDR3700 V1 [Gargoyle firmware] out of the closet.
This old router is outperforming this new AC router in the 2.4 & 5 ghz bands.

Expensive paper weight.

I went ahead and bought the netgear r7000. So far it is running great...gonna test it out for a week and will probably return the asus ac68u if they dont release a firmware update that fixes the abysmal 2.4 ghz signal.

i just got the r7000 and the performance on 2.4 and 5 is no better than the ac68u.
i'm on netgear firmware V1.0.0.96_1.0.15 so i need to update, but i'm getting equal speeds from both routers right now, neither what i expected to get when i moved from my e3000 running tomato... which i now regret greatly that i sold.

gonna run this r7000 for the next few days, but if i dont see an improvement i'm gonna just keep the ac68u.

oh and btw, the r7000 is as large as everyone is saying it is. things about 40% larger than the the ac68u.

edit: yeh i'm pretty much getting the same speeds and signal quality with both routers. the ac68u has a better 2.4ghz signal though, especially after the new firmware .306

Last edited:
i'm on netgear firmware V1.0.0.96_1.0.15 so i need to update,

Would be good then to update to latest firmware, and then one soon to be released prior to making a judgement. Also the r7000 is not near as buggy as the rt-ac68u which may also be a good reason to maybe keep it....

Last edited:
i just got the r7000 and the performance on 2.4 and 5 is no better than the ac68u.
i'm on netgear firmware V1.0.0.96_1.0.15 so i need to update, but i'm getting equal speeds from both routers right now, neither what i expected to get when i moved from my e3000 running tomato... which i now regret greatly that i sold.

gonna run this r7000 for the next few days, but if i dont see an improvement i'm gonna just keep the ac68u.

oh and btw, the r7000 is as large as everyone is saying it is. things about 40% larger than the the ac68u.

edit: yeh i'm pretty much getting the same speeds and signal quality with both routers. the ac68u has a better 2.4ghz signal though, especially after the new firmware .306

enjoy the R7000 LED lights, lol

Would be good then to update to latest firmware, and then one soon to be released prior to making a judgement. Also the r7000 is not near as buggy as the rt-ac68u which may also be a good reason to maybe keep it....

the ac68u isnt buggy for me except for stability issues when on .291.
i thought my speed issues were related to the router, but its clearly my isp as the r7000 shows similar speeds.
either way, i'll run the r7000 for a bit with the new firmware to see how it performs.

and yes, the LEDs are ridiculous.

Last edited:
the ac68u isnt buggy for me except for stability issues when on .291.
i thought my speed issues were related to the router, but its clearly my isp as the r7000 shows similar speeds.
either way, i'll run the r7000 for a bit with the new firmware to see how it performs.

and yes, the LEDs are ridiculous.

you will feel like you are in a club when you turn off your room light, so when I had R7000, I used duct tap to cover the LED lights.

BTW, GPL of ASUS RT-AC68R for firmware 3.0.0.4.374.306 is out.

It's been solid since turning off switch acceleration '1 days 6 hours 48 minutes 43 seconds' ago.

has anyone tested latest firmware USB3 speed compared to out of box firmware to see if the poor speeds has been fixed and in fact isn't a shielding issue?

Both show as enabled simultaneously on my router.
It doesn't matter what the router reports in this instance. If you enable QoS then hardware acceleration is disabled. That is also the case if you enable traffic monitoring by specific IP address.

has anyone tested latest firmware USB3 speed compared to out of box firmware to see if the poor speeds has been fixed and in fact isn't a shielding issue?

With Merlin FW, I just did a file transfer (1.4G zip file) to the network hard drive, and the transfer speed was around 37 MB/s

Turning off acceleration did the trick:
Uptime: 2 days 17 hours 25 minutes 10 seconds

Edit: Spoke too soon. It died on me again. No Internet access, no DHCP, nothing until reboot. Back to DD-WRT it is.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!