What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.5047

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is 5517 for the Ac68u or the N66u?? I thought 5047 was the latest release for the 68U. Can someone clarify this.

Well I am happy to say I have been up for just over 12 days now without a reboot. However, I have noticed problems with my wireless devices automatically connecting to my home signal. When I returned from work I often find my phone connected to a far weaker signal from a nearby public source than my router until I tell my phone to connect to the router. This has happened several times and this is also happening to my win-8 tablet so it is not a phone problem. Just noticed again after turning my phone on this morning and as I write this I am sitting directly below the router. Has anyone else noticed this? Never had this problem before the latest update.

Decision to choose a AP rather than another AP is solely a client decision.
Some implementations are looking for the last connected SSID and try to connected to it. Some other implementation parse the list of SSID it has configured to choose the first one.
Ideally a client should measure all SSID and choose the strongest one and should favor 5GHz rather than 2.4. But this is ideal and standard doesn't enforce this.
Roaming is even stranger. Let's assume you are connected to a SSID and you are walking away from it and you can "see" a better SSID. Ideally is to roam to the best SSID. Most of clients won't do that! Never! They will choose a better SSID only when signal they receive from the current SSID drop to a certain level. Again, standard enforce no behavior.

A router cannot influence such behavior. Mostly a router will enforce a client to choose 5GHz over 2.4GHz and this is called band steering.
Enterprise class wireless controllers can force a client to dissociate for an AP and, consequently, client will be forced to connect to the strongest AP it sees. Neither that is bullet proof for some clients but I believe this may be the behavior you would expect. And I doubt you will see it for home use in the near future.

PS: in case an wireless expert is reading this - intentionally I avoid any reference to BSSID and advertised client capabilities - the message would become even harder to read.

sol1109 - Windows will allow you to specify the order of your saved networks:
Control Panel\Network and Internet\Manage Wireless Networks
move your preferred wifi to the top

You didn't say what type of phone, but I find on my iPhone when this happens I am better off choosing to "forget" or delete the wifi I don't want to connect to. I don't have this issue at home, but if I am out somewhere public and picking up multiple hotspots I will encounter this ~ and I don't want to connect to a given wifi because of annoying sign-in pages.

Is there a setting in the router GUI that I can manage UPnP (other than the on/off toggle in the WAN tab) ..I am on stock firmware.

I noticed in my log (port forwarding tab)2 (tcp, udp) port forwards from my laptop for port 17005 redirect to an ip in London (I am in usa)....no idea what that is.

Last edited:
Printer unable to wakeup

A new bug appear in the latest version of the firmware. The router doesn't Wake up a wifi printer. This was not a problem on earliest version. Example, if a want to print a document on iPad, I get the message that there is no printer available. This happen if I have not use the printer for a long time (4 hour). Somebody else have this problem?

EDIT:

For the benefit of everyone I did solve this problem by changing 3 setting on 2.4g. I don't know wich one solved the problem:
- preamble set to "short" instead of "long"
- DTIM interval set to "15" instead of "3"
- enable WMM APSD "disable"

Printers are Epson R3000 and Epson WP-4020

Last edited:
A new bug appear in the latest version of the firmware. The router doesn't Wake up a wifi printer. This was not a problem on earliest version. Example, if a want to print a document on iPad, I get the message that there is no printer available. This happen if I have not use the printer for a long time (4 hour). Somebody else have this problem?

Reboot the iPad, it solved it for me, I had the same on my iPhone. Shut it off/on should solve the problem.

Is 5517 for the Ac68u or the N66u?? I thought 5047 was the latest release for the 68U. Can someone clarify this.

Jim, the latest Asus FW for the 68U is .5047, no other updates that I can see. :)

Last edited:
I updated to this firmware and tried setting up port forward, but it fails. I trying to setup the port forward for my ceton my media center app which worked flawlessly when I had an older netgear router.

Steps taken

1. Assigned PC in question here ip 192.168.2.181
2. logged into router and accessed port forward page.
3. enabled port forwarding
4. Created port forward entry for local port 5832 (the app uses this port) on ip 192.168.2.181 for TCP traffic.
5. After entering the rule I hit apply and let the router update.
6. After update I test the port forward on the app and it fails everytime.

I'm frustrated as I've done port forwards before and can't seem to get it to work with this router.... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had the same problem with port forwarding ceasing to function after updating to this version. I even called tech support but the guy at the other barely knew anything. He said (and I quote) "maybe the new firmware does not support port forwarding". I said I will figure it out on my own and hung up on him.

I then proceeded to delete the existing port forwards in place, disabled port forwarding, re-enabled it, power cycled the router, then setup the port forwards again, and voila, it appeared to fix the issues.

I had the same problem with port forwarding ceasing to function after updating to this version. I even called tech support but the guy at the other barely knew anything. He said (and I quote) "maybe the new firmware does not support port forwarding". I said I will figure it out on my own and hung up on him.

I then proceeded to delete the existing port forwards in place, disabled port forwarding, re-enabled it, power cycled the router, then setup the port forwards again, and voila, it appeared to fix the issues.

Yeah I always find that doing a full reset after a new firmware load works. Its just a pain to have to enter the settings again.

Question to people having issues with port forwarding.
Why aren't you using UPnP?

I have UPnP enabled and I have no issues with any ports.

If its for security reasons, then I only have one simple comment. If someone wants to hack your network, then they will do so and nothing will stop them.

Few years back someone tried to hack me, but they ended up freezing my router. A simple power cycling the router and everything was back to normal.

If its for security reasons, then I only have one simple comment. If someone wants to hack your network, then they will do so and nothing will stop them.

Few years back someone tried to hack me, but they ended up freezing my router. A simple power cycling the router and everything was back to normal.

Many things don't work with UPnP and have to be forwarded manually. I have to manually forward ports for everything I do, my win server box, cctv software, dvr, teamspeak and game servers.

I think torrent software like Utorrent uses it....so for that, where a port forward need only be temporary, then UPnP is good.

I have 3 desktops (one of which is my media server) and 3 laptops on my network. My media server also serves as remote backup for one of the servers I manage, so programs need to FTP to that specific server. I also use RDC and force Plex to use a static port, all of which needs to port forward to one server. UPnP will just not be able to service these requirements.

Having said that, I can't get my FTP port forwards to work after the update even though I did manage remote desktop to work. This sucks, I'm really tempted to flash DD-WRT to see if it will rid some of these headaches.

Last edited:
Having said that, I can't get my FTP port forwards to work after the update even though I did manage remote desktop to work. This sucks, I'm really tempted to flash DD-WRT to see if it will rid some of these headaches.

FTP forwards can conflict with the internal FTP server - make sure this one is disabled, or else use a different port than 21.

Port Forwarding and WSE

Tried to set up the ASUS AC68U with Windows Server Essentials but could not get the server to set up Anywhere Access properly. Tried it with UPnP enabled without ports 80 and 443 forwarded, as well as with UPnP disabled and ports 80 and 443 forwarded. Theoretically, all I should have had to do was forward 443-HTTPS. (I used Merlin's firmware version that removed the restriction on forwarding ports 1-1024.)

Has anyone attempted to use the AC68 with a WSE box with outside access working properly? Any hints would be appreciated. Thank you.

Tried to set up the ASUS AC68U with Windows Server Essentials but could not get the server to set up Anywhere Access properly. Tried it with UPnP enabled without ports 80 and 443 forwarded, as well as with UPnP disabled and ports 80 and 443 forwarded. Theoretically, all I should have had to do was forward 443-HTTPS. (I used Merlin's firmware version that removed the restriction on forwarding ports 1-1024.)

Has anyone attempted to use the AC68 with a WSE box with outside access working properly? Any hints would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have used WHS2011, but upgraded to Sever 2012 R2 Essentials which is basically the same.

For the Remote Web Access page, you have to setup the domain name thing at initial setup (wahtever.remotewebaccess.com) (it was something different in older versions). I have only had the wizard say it was successful via UPnp once and that was with a router running Tomato firmware.

Here is an article about such setup for 2012.

(Note bottom of article it states this: "For Windows Server 2012 Essentials, the article indicates that only HTTPS is required. I found that HTTP on port 80 was required as noted in the troubleshooting guide to get it to work.")

I have ports 80, 443, 53 forwarded. (80 HTTP, 443 HTTPS, 53 DNS)

I am not sure why 53 is required, or where I read to try forwarding it, but I can't get to the Remote web page remotely with out it.

Also, be sure to leave the Local Port field blank in the Port forward list.

I also had to reboot the server after setting the port forwards(have to every time the router reboots) and give it a few minutes so that the hostname and DDNS to update. Then I can access the web page remotely(I test via my smartphone on 4g).

Your ISP may be blocking or re-directing traffic on ports 80 and 443, some do that.

Last edited:
It's an Android Razr-M Kenrok1. Drabisan, you are correct that such selection is a client issue but this is a change in behavior that only started after the latest update. Since my original post I have been able to determine that the phone does connect but then while it is in standby it drops the signal and when I go to my SSID page both 2.4G signals are not even listed until I turn off the phone wifi and restart it. I have also had the same problem with my wireless printer failing to be available when someone tries to print to it unless I power cycle it, (I believe others have commented on a WOL issue). I was wondering if the beam forming changes could be to blame. If that technology looses a lock on your location would this be the effect?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!