What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.4164

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am noticing that the Ookla speedtest is not liking the 380.4164 firmware. The test takes longer than usual to start and I'm getting speeds in the 600 down 300 up range vs 945/945 normal. Router config is factory defaults with CTF and FA enabled. Other speedtest sites are working just fine. As a side note I'm seeing the same behavior on the Ookla site with Merlin 380.64 on this router. I didn't check any of the other sites while the 380.64 was loaded. The issue is not present on my AC3100 on 380.64.

Are you using the flash based test or the beta HTML5 test?

Flash based tests are known to be unreliable and is why all test sites are moving to HTML5.

My results with 4164 are right where they should be with the HTML5 test.

Capture.JPG

Only the flash based Ookla test is having issues. Other flash based and html5 based tests are unaffected. With only CTF enabled the flash based Ookla test runs just fine. I'll edit my earlier post to make this more clear.

flash.png

html5.png

Last edited:
I just found out what is causing the issue for me after reading another thread on this site. With NAT acceleration set to auto and with both CTF and FA enabled the flashed based Ookla site has issues. I enabled AiProtection on my 68U (to force FA off) and with only CTF the flash based Ookla site works just fine so there is an incompatibility with FA. This would also explain why I didn't see any issues on the 3100 as FA is not an option on that router.
Flash shall be banned from the net anyway.

Somewhat offtopic, but where do I find the beta HTML5 version of the Ookla Speedtest?

More ontopic is that I installed 4164 without issue.

Shouldn't have made the mistake of updating firmware. I have a 60/60 fibre based connection that my building offers that comes striaght from a data port in the wall to the router. I thought it was my ISP having issues but html5 speedtests from wifi and lan are erratic and very low since updating I'm going to try to revert firmware

Shouldn't have made the mistake of updating firmware. I have a 60/60 fibre based connection that my building offers that comes striaght from a data port in the wall to the router. I thought it was my ISP having issues but html5 speedtests from wifi and lan are erratic and very low since updating I'm going to try to revert firmware
Did you reset to factory defaults AFTER upgrading the firmware and start with a minimal configuration WITHOUT restoring any previous configuration? That would be the first step in troubleshooting your issues.

Did you reset to factory defaults AFTER upgrading the firmware and start with a minimal configuration WITHOUT restoring any previous configuration? That would be the first step in troubleshooting your issues.

I'm definitely going to use that process on the NEXT fw update. I work from home, and was in the middle of the workday, needed try a "quick fix" I flashed with 30043803831 and immediately speeds on the LAN returned to normal.

I agree!!

So are you running with FA enabled for disabled? Or perhaps the underlying question is whether FA only has an issue with the Ookla Flash speed test, or does it cause more widespread speed issues?

So are you running with FA enabled for disabled? Or perhaps the underlying question is whether FA only has an issue with the Ookla Flash speed test, or does it cause more widespread speed issues?
It was only the Ookla flash based test. Other flashed based test were fine. I didn't notice any speed issues other than the Ookla test. With only 2 days left in my return window on my 3100 I've decided to keep it despite not having sold my 68U yet so FA is no longer an option for me with the 3100.

I don't see any speed issues here (would make me wonder as the wireless driver is not updated with firmware 4164).
With a 1x1 ac adapter test (connected at 433.3 Mbps):

upload_2017-1-13_7-24-34.png

With a 2x2 ac adapter speedtest stalls at my maximum ISP speed (500/500).
I have banned flash, tests are with the beta HTML5 test page, it is worth to try different hosts, some may be busy at your test time, resulting in bad results.

I'm having all sorts of issues with this firmware. The WebUI is crashing after login, which is the most annoying. I have to reboot the router to get it to render again. It's getting to the point that I may roll back or flash to Merlin.

I'm having all sorts of issues with this firmware. The WebUI is crashing after login, which is the most annoying. I have to reboot the router to get it to render again. It's getting to the point that I may roll back or flash to Merlin.

I have had zero issues. I wonder if your settings or the update got corrupted.

Has asus no quality management. If a firmware is finished it will not be tested enough.
An example.
When the firmware is ready it goes to example 5 testers. All have different hardware configs. They have a list of how to test all functions. They have one or two weeks to test. If an error is found go back to the programming. And then again to the tests until everything works. Then it will be published.

That can not be difficult.
HI. Your signature indicates e3372 modem running OK. Mine is not. Im running two AC68U'so, and trying to run dual wan with one wan connection through modem. Which FW are you running?

Does anyone know what is the latest firmware for AC68U to successfully use Facebook Wifi feature?
Are there any firmware updates in the works for this router in the future to work flawlessly with Facebook Wifi?
If not what are some low cost options besides this router, where I can implement social wifi without monthly fees

Does anyone know what is the latest firmware for AC68U to successfully use Facebook Wifi feature?
Are there any firmware updates in the works for this router in the future to work flawlessly with Facebook Wifi?
If not what are some low cost options besides this router, where I can implement social wifi without monthly fees
This seems the latest Facebook special firmware:

https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_Download/
Select: OS = Others
Click: EXPAND ALL +
Scroll down and find:
Version 3.0.0.4.380.4164
2016/12/23
38.58 MBytes
ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.4164 (Facebook Wi-Fi special version)

I don't know Asus policy with regards to Facebook firmware, at least it does not keep pace with security updates of newer "regular" firmware (currently version 3.0.0.4.380.7743).
Probably the Facebook donation to Asus for this firmware is too low.
The cheapest social Wifi is to simply create a Guest account in the router.