What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.45713

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

At least wireless speed is not an issue with the RT-AC68U / 3.0.0.4.384_45713:
A 500 Mbps/500Mbps Internet subscription.
Dell Laptop showing as follows in the Client Status display:
upload_2019-4-22_16-28-18.png

Speedtest.net result at 5 GHz:
upload_2019-4-22_16-28-56.jpeg

At least wireless speed is not an issue with the RT-AC68U / 3.0.0.4.384_45713:
A 500 Mbps/500Mbps Internet subscription.
Dell Laptop showing as follows in the Client Status display:
View attachment 17176
Speedtest.net result at 5 GHz:
View attachment 17177

A node duty test I prefer is to display the Windows PC WiFi connection status link rate speed (866 or less) while repeating speeedtest.net about 10 times. Does the link rate speed hold steady at 866... it should?

OE

Not clear from your post if you updated all your routers to the latest version, performed a full reset to factory defaults, configured them minimally and manually to secure then and connect to your ISP?

Yes, all updated to 45713 , all factory reset, and nothing was saved. Node is off for now.

Last edited:
A node duty test I prefer is to display the Windows PC WiFi connection status link rate speed (866 or less) while repeating speeedtest.net about 10 times. Does the link rate speed hold steady at 866... it should?

OE
The screenshots are my average taken from about 10 times a speedtest, I never believe a single shot.
The wireless connection for the RT-AC68U is steady all the time (with Windows 7, Windows 10, iPhones, a Playstation4, an Android tablet and a RT-N66U as media bridge), since ever I have the router operational for a few years with all firmware versions that came along. Only recently as reported I have seen a few complete outages (not the past days though).
The recent speed test was done with my new business laptop, just curious to see what wireless performance it would reach.

Last edited:
I think this firmware has an AiMesh issue. It doesn't change the nodes properly including can't find the nodes sometimes.

AiMesh issues definitely reported here. The last version with the SquashFS bugs actually worked pretty well in an AiMesh setup, but this version definitely reverted it somehow.

AiMesh issues definitely reported here. The last version with the SquashFS bugs actually worked pretty well in an AiMesh setup, but this version definitely reverted it somehow.
Do you know which version is better for AiMesh?

RT-AC68U (When you restore the factory defaults and set all over again)
Do you use to work downloadmaster ?
If anyone still has a problem with the downloadmaster ?

Version 3.0.0.4.384.45708 worked better for me so I'm going to downgrade right now and see how it works....

After the upgrade, factory defaults and manual re-configuration of the router I have noticed a few outages of the router:
Wireless Clients suddenly reporting "no Internet access", router not reachable on it's IP address.
This solves itself within a minute, without new entries in the System Log.
Anyone else noticing the same?
Yesterday with the Android tablet, today with a Windows 10 laptop: wireless stays indicating as connected, no Internet access, router not reachable, after minutes it recover automatically, no messages in the system log.
Downgraded the router from 3.0.0.4.384.45713 to 3.0.0.4.384.45149 (I also don't like the additional system log message caused by 3.0.0.4.384.45708), reverted to factory defaults and configured the router manual.
Let's see if it brings back the router stability.

Last edited:
I haven't been keeping notes (or logs) but I'd say that this problem (disconnects) have worsened with 45713. So much that I have switched Wi-Fi networks on my laptop like I had done on my wife's.

I'm not yet willing to go back to an earlier release as I was suffering the problem "browser no response problem when enabled Traffic analyzer" that was fixed in 45713.

Things have improved here. I thought of a bunch of things that might help, and since my testing time is limited, I tried them all at once.

1) I discovered Universal Beamforming was still on for 5 GHz. It's always been turned off but one of the factory resets turned it back on and I missed it.

2) Several devices were disconnecting several times a day, but my wife's Android cellphone was the worst. She sits about equal-distance between router and mesh node, and I noticed the phone kept flip-flopping between the router and mesh node all day long. I couldn't tell if the flipping was initiated by the phone or the router Roaming Assistant (next time I'll check the log). I'd also read posts about people having trouble with 5 GHz (all my disconnecting devices were on 5GHz), so I moved her back to 2.4, since she doesn't need the speed anyway. I cleared her phone of the unneeded SSIDs and passwords to keep her on 2.4.

3) To further prevent flipping (in case it was creating extra load on the router or causing problems in Android) I added her MAC to the Roaming Block List of the router, since she never roams anyway.

4) I decided to Factory Reset both boxes at the same time rather than on different days as I had done when I updated the firmware.

We're still on 45713 and have had 2 good days with no unexplained disconnects at all, and I'm very encouraged.

Bruce.

Yesterday with the Android tablet, today with a Windows 10 laptop: wireless stays indicating as connected, no Internet access, router not reachable, after minutes it recover automatically, no messages in the system log.
Downgraded the router from 3.0.0.4.384.45713 to 3.0.0.4.384.45149 (I also don't like the additional system log message caused by 3.0.0.4.384.45708), reverted to factory defaults and configured the router manual.
In my case:
Single router (no AiMesh), with a RT-N66U as Media Bridge (set to static address 192.168.1.2).
RT-AC68U setup straight forward and pretty default, DHCP start at 192.168.1.3, no traffic analyzer, no Ai stuff at all.

For me this error occurs randomly and I've only been on this update (45713) for three days so I really don't know if it occurs more or less frequently than the last firmware. I'll have a better idea next week but it has happened a few times since the update.

Okay, so I've been using 45713 for over a week now and can say the problem still exists for me. The disconnect seems to occur at about the same frequency as previous versions. It's what other have described here -- the internet drops, after a minute or so it automatically recovers , it doesn't leave a message in the system log.

I'll open a support ticket and encourage others experience this to do the same.

i had same for 86u

i had same for 86u
I suppose the issue has nothing to do with e.g. wireless drivers, more that the router is busy in some loop.
It is too early to say 45149 does not exhibit the issue, but I had no issues with it after the release in December last year.
Given the release notes I suspect the issue being introduced in 45708, this did run too short though to tell.
If there is a way I can otherwise monitor behavior of 45713 I would be glad to upgrade again and try to catch relevant data.

Last edited:
When the disconnections appear, I found these logs. I believe it drops the clients when adjusting the channels. kind of like rebooting the wireless. I will try to move it to static channel and try. I couldn't believe ASUS is playing the same way with Cisco DCA which the default scan frequency is set to so high level and no option for us to change the scan frequency value

May 4 09:23:48 acsd: scan in progress ...
May 4 09:23:49 acsd: selected channel spec: 0xe09b (149/80)
May 4 09:23:49 acsd: Adjusted channel spec: 0xe09b (149/80)
May 4 09:23:49 acsd: selected channel spec: 0xe09b (149/80)
May 4 09:25:05 ntp: start NTP update
May 4 09:38:50 acsd: scan in progress ...
May 4 09:38:50 acsd: scan in progress ...
May 4 09:38:51 acsd: scan in progress ...
May 4 09:38:52 acsd: scan in progress ...
May 4 09:38:52 acsd: scan in progress ...
May 4 09:38:52 acsd: selected channel spec: 0xe02a (36/80)
May 4 09:38:52 acsd: Adjusted channel spec: 0xe02a (36/80)
May 4 09:38:52 acsd: selected channel spec: 0xe02a (36/80)
May 4 09:53:53 acsd: scan in progress ...
May 4 09:53:53 acsd: scan in progress ...
May 4 09:53:54 acsd: scan in progress ...
May 4 09:53:55 acsd: scan in progress ...
May 4 09:53:55 acsd: scan in progress ...
May 4 09:53:55 acsd: selected channel spec: 0xe29b (157/80)
May 4 09:53:55 acsd: Adjusted channel spec: 0xe29b (157/80)
May 4 09:53:55 acsd: selected channel spec: 0xe29b (157/80)

Last edited:
I always manually set channels because I find that routers tend to change channels for no obvious reason and in some cases use channels that have are being utilized by other nearby wifi routers. Its like all the routers are reacting to each other with no means to home in on an optimal usage of the available channels.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!