What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.45717 [2019/05/13]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scjr

Very Senior Member
Version 3.0.0.4.384.45717 2019/05/13

39.76 MBytes

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.45717

- Fixed DDoS vulnerability.
- Fixed AiCloud vulnerability. Thanks for Matt Cundari's contribution.
- Fixed command injection vulnerability. Thanks for S1mba Lu's contribution.
- Fixed buffer overflow vulnerability. Thanks for Javier Aguinaga's contribution.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 86e4354536e6a11b2f7a02936094482a

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_Download/

Download link: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC68U/FW_RT_AC68U_300438445717.zip

I thought those were CVEs that were already fixed on other routers (such as 68u), the ac5300 and ac3100 didn’t get the 713 firmware was my understanding. Maybe I missed it.
Ahh, you're correct. Those (CVE-2018-20334, CVE-2018-20336 and some of the same bugs) were fixed in the buggy ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384.45708.

I have upgraded my router, hopefully one of the hidden fixes involves the "automatic recovering loss of Internet issue".
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...on-3-0-0-4-384-45713.56052/page-3#post-487462
I'll be upgrading later today and will report back whether it addresses the issue or not.
Actually I was just about to downgrade because of this problem. I had reported the issue using the feedback tool but never got a response but hopefully they are aware of it.

Things noticed so far:

Guest network configuration page is broken.
Network map is messed up (last worked with 32799 IIRC)
Lots of acsd noise in the system log.

Things noticed so far:

Guest network configuration page is broken.
Network map is messed up (last worked with 32799 IIRC)
Lots of acsd noise in the system log.
What issues do you exactly see?
  • Guest network configuration page seems ok here.
  • The System Log here only shows 3 checks for new firmware per day.
  • Network map page seems ok here (except that the indication for the RT-N66U media bridge is shown at the "Sony" device behind the media bridge):
upload_2019-5-16_5-29-31.png

You are right about the guest network configuration.

System log has lots of this:

Code:
May 15 20:22:14 acsd: selected channel spec: 0xe02a (36/80)
May 15 20:22:14 acsd: Adjusted channel spec: 0xe02a (36/80)
May 15 20:37:15 acsd: scan in progress ...

The network map is missing some devices and displaying others incorrectly.

Last edited:
You are right about the guest network configuration.

System log has lots of this:

Code:
May 15 20:22:14 acsd: Adjusted channel spec: 0xe02a (36/80)

The network map is missing some devices and displaying others incorrectly.
The network map is discussed many many times already since many years, by the nature of how TCP/IP networks work, the network map can never be really accurate.

The acsd messages are discussed as well, these are the result of scanning on the 5 GHz band.

Since a few firmware releases there are more message types shown in the System Log, like the checks for firmware updates.
The increase of messages is annoying, but not an indication of issues.

Since you've had a couple of days on 45717, how's your "automatic recovering loss of Internet issue?"
I almost forgot about it (meaning no issues experienced), which is good ;)
Maybe time is too short to tell (we have also been away from home for over a day).
Next week Wednesday will be a good moment to judge.

The RT-AC68U is running over a week now with 3.0.0.4.384.45717.
No issues experienced, I can say it is stable.
I am still wondering about the 9 firmware check message every day, no harm, only filling up the System Log.

The RT-AC68U is running over a week now with 3.0.0.4.384.45717.
No issues experienced, I can say it is stable.
I am still wondering about the 9 firmware check message every day, no harm, only filling up the System Log.
I upgraded early on 20 May by clicking on the firmware check icon. I've been running NirSoft's PingInfoView from my Wi-Fi connected ThinkPad against the router with 30 second intervals. It is much more stable than 45713. I got a flurry (4 or 5) missed pings in the middle of the night but only a very rare single miss (2-3 per 24 hours) other than that. They are so intermittent that I have never perceived a disconnect.

I still haven't moved my wife back over to the Asus though. ;)

I upgraded early on 20 May by clicking on the firmware check icon. I've been running NirSoft's PingInfoView from my Wi-Fi connected ThinkPad against the router with 30 second intervals. It is much more stable than 45713. I got a flurry (4 or 5) missed pings in the middle of the night but only a very rare single miss (2-3 per 24 hours) other than that. They are so intermittent that I have never perceived a disconnect.

If she finds out you're keeping the best toys though... :D

I spoke too soon. This afternoon my wife complained that she had lost the Internet twice today. I had her check and she was on the Asus RT-AC68R SSID. I switched her over to the IoT SSID and she's satisfied.

I'm not sure that this second issue is related but I'll put it out there. With a fresh Wi-Fi connection my network speed is 180Mbps. After some hours, it drops below 10Mbps. Bouncing the Wi-Fi connection brings it back up. I haven't tested this enough to attribute this to the Asus. I've checked the Wi-Fi drivers are current.

I spoke too soon. This afternoon my wife complained that she had lost the Internet twice today. I had her check and she was on the Asus RT-AC68R SSID. I switched her over to the IoT SSID and she's satisfied.

I'm not sure that this second issue is related but I'll put it out there. With a fresh Wi-Fi connection my network speed is 180Mbps. After some hours, it drops below 10Mbps. Bouncing the Wi-Fi connection brings it back up. I haven't tested this enough to attribute this to the Asus. I've checked the Wi-Fi drivers are current.

I had a similar issue with the network speed dropping after a few hours. I changed the 5GHz channel to 36 and it's been fine since... I had it set to auto and it was picking high 5GHz channels that were slowing down automatically (probably due to some neighboring interference).

I had a similar issue with the network speed dropping after a few hours. I changed the 5GHz channel to 36 and it's been fine since... I had it set to auto and it was picking high 5GHz channels that were slowing down automatically (probably due to some neighboring interference).
Where do I change this? Under Wireless - General, I changed "Control Channel" from Auto to 36 and halved my speed.

For my home channel 157 produces the best link rates on my AC68U both near and far from the router. There is no 5 GHz crowding in my neighborhood though, so if there is crowding in your neighborhood, channel 157 may not be the best choice.

It sounds like you haven't done much to adjust the wifi settings. There are a few options that are enabled by default on ASUS routers that can cause problems for some devices, so besides fiddling with channel selection, you may want to research optimal wifi settings.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!