Release ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.40558 (05-Nov-2020)

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

wouterv

Very Senior Member
Access to admin GUI restored after few hours waiting w/o that I did anything. Looks like system/os is still doing something after the upgrade?
A few hours seems long, a few others including myself reported in this same thread that it took a some minutes for the GUI to be available and responsive after the upgrade to 40558.

Arctic Ace

New Around Here
A few hours seems long, a few others including myself reported in this same thread that it took a some minutes for the GUI to be available and responsive after the upgrade to 40558.
I tried to login to admin GUI right after the upgrade + first 15-20min without success. So next time I tested few hours later, and then it worked fine. Don’t know actual time when it might work after the upgrade.

MidnightSVT

New Around Here
Hi All -
New to the forums. Having a weird issue with my AC1900 and AC68R after updating to firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.40558. I am no longer able to get wireless download speeds above 140 Mbps on a 1 Gig Comcast connection (upload speeds are fine - in the 40 Mbps range).

I have a GT AC5300 as the "main" router and the AC1900 and AC68R as AIMesh nodes. Each node is connected to 5300 via CAT6 Ethernet (not daisy chained). The 5300 is running the latest firmware as well (3.0.0.4.384.82037).

Using AIMesh, I can see that each node is connected via Ethernet and their connection signal is "Great."

Before the AC1900 and AC68R firmware updates, I was getting 450-500 Mbps on each node with wireless clients (MacBool Pro and iPhone 12 Pro) about 5 feet from each node. Now, all clients, even at close range, only get a max 140 Mpbs down.

Wireless devices connected to the 5300 get around 650-670 Mbps down.

Anybody having this issue after updating to the latest firmware? Anything I can do to get my wireless speeds back up on each node? Thank you!!!

Attachments

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
Hi All -
New to the forums. Having a weird issue with my AC1900 and AC68R after updating to firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.40558. I am no longer able to get wireless download speeds above 140 Mbps on a 1 Gig Comcast connection (upload speeds are fine - in the 40 Mbps range).

I have a GT AC5300 as the "main" router and the AC1900 and AC68R as AIMesh nodes. Each node is connected to 5300 via CAT6 Ethernet (not daisy chained). The 5300 is running the latest firmware as well (3.0.0.4.384.82037).

Using AIMesh, I can see that each node is connected via Ethernet and their connection signal is "Great."

Before the AC1900 and AC68R firmware updates, I was getting 450-500 Mbps on each node with wireless clients (MacBool Pro and iPhone 12 Pro) about 5 feet from each node. Now, all clients, even at close range, only get a max 140 Mpbs down.

Wireless devices connected to the 5300 get around 650-670 Mbps down.

Anybody having this issue after updating to the latest firmware? Anything I can do to get my wireless speeds back up on each node? Thank you!!!
It might be wise to keep either .384 or .386 firmware on all nodes.

Did you reset the node and re-add it to the AiMesh?

OE

MidnightSVT

New Around Here
Hi OzarkEdge -
Thank you for the quick reply. I did a hard factory reset on both mesh nodes (1900 and 68R) and then re-added them to my setup via the WebGUI and AIMesh. Now SpeedTests are showing 90-100 Mbps download and about 30 Mbps upload. I am hoping that things will at least go back to how there were once I reboot all equipment (modem, router, and nodes) later tonight.

According to the WebGUI and the Asus Support page, the GT AC5300's latest firmware is 3.0.0.4.384.82037 from 8/3/2020. Hopefully Asus will release a firmware update for the GT AC5300 soon.

Thanks for the help.

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
Hi OzarkEdge -
Thank you for the quick reply. I did a hard factory reset on both mesh nodes (1900 and 68R) and then re-added them to my setup via the WebGUI and AIMesh. Now SpeedTests are showing 90-100 Mbps download and about 30 Mbps upload. I am hoping that things will at least go back to how there were once I reboot all equipment (modem, router, and nodes) later tonight.

According to the WebGUI and the Asus Support page, the GT AC5300's latest firmware is 3.0.0.4.384.82037 from 8/3/2020. Hopefully Asus will release a firmware update for the GT AC5300 soon.

Thanks for the help.
If the issue is the firmware code base mismatch, you'll have to wait for the GT-AC5300 .386 firmware release... or upgrade all to AiMesh 2.0 RC2-8 beta:

Beta - ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0 | Page 75 | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

OE

mihvoi

New Around Here
ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.40558

After this update to *.40558, the "Time scheduling" from "Parental Controls" got broken on my RT-AC68U.

Even when the block is not applied, the https connections get stuck in handshake for sites like https://www.yahoo.com and https://www.epicgames.com/. The same sites are responding in http but not https. Some other sites are working on https also, like https://www.google.com/.

The DNS resolving seems to work ok. I removed all the security filters, disabled QoS, restart, no result. I tried to remove and re-create the rules. Only when I remove the device entirely from scheduling the problem dissapears. The issue is similar if I use the new Family interface, even if I set Adult profile. Restart didn't help.

I use 2 identical RT-AC68U in aiMesh via ethernet, however the issue happens also for a PS4 device connected wired directly to the main router.

mihvoi

New Around Here
One of the improvements that I was looking for in this new release is the improvement in handling Wifi Calling while "roaming" from node to node on AiMesh. Just upgrade to this new release and hard reset all (router and 2 Mesh node). Unfortunately, I'm still dropping calls while moving from one node to another. I'm using MS Teams and Skype. Any suggestions?
Not fixed on AC68U with firmware 3.0.0.4.386.40558.

As long as the nodes assign different IPs, it's unlikely to have "seemless roaming".
"Roaming assist" will basically disconnect device when they are far from the current node. The device will reconnect to the nearest node and it will get a new IP - this will reset any existing connections and likely break the call.

There is a "Smart connect" feature that is not available on AC68U, but it is on newer routers like AC86 for example. It should be able to direct device to connect to a better router or frequency.
Didn't tested it, but I fear it will still disconnect the call.

I hear about Ubiquity that knows to do "seamless roaming" - at least with WiFi upling, however I never tried it.

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
Not fixed on AC68U with firmware 3.0.0.4.386.40558.

As long as the nodes assign different IPs, it's unlikely to have "seemless roaming".
"Roaming assist" will basically disconnect device when they are far from the current node. The device will reconnect to the nearest node and it will get a new IP - this will reset any existing connections and likely break the call.

There is a "Smart connect" feature that is not available on AC68U, but it is on newer routers like AC86 for example. It should be able to direct device to connect to a better router or frequency.
Didn't tested it, but I fear it will still disconnect the call.

I hear about Ubiquity that knows to do "seamless roaming" - at least with WiFi upling, however I never tried it.
FWIW, when my wireless clients roam, they keep their same IP address issued by the DHCP server running on the router/root node.

Smart Connect is node band steering... it is suppose to encourage a wireless client to connect to the better band/signal within a node. It does not steer a wireless client to a node... the user does that when they roam from node to node.

OE