What's new

Release ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.40558 (05-Nov-2020)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So, just adding my $.02. This latest firmware was a disaster for me. Dropped every few minutes, randomly. Kids are doing remote learning and it kept on randomly resetting - the network names disappear and then magically show up. Reverted back to the august firmware and so far no drops. 3 units set up in mesh mode. I'm a non-technie, but I did flash these three t-mobile units to asus firmware.

The latest parental controls is super slick, but had to dump it due to the lack of stability. It would crash at the worst time as the teachers were giving their lessons.
Here is the info you need for your T-Mobile AC1900: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/tu...uter/topic/cellspot-router/upgrade-firmware/1
Strongly suggest you flash back to firmware you legally can run. Or, by a real Asus router.

Just as a FYI, don't expect any further help on these forums, as once you mention that you are using converted (cross-flashed) routers, any additional support is basically forbidden by the forum rules, as those are considered illegal conversions. See here, and numerous other pinned topics stating the same thing:

I admit to nothing! ;) (post edited above). Honestly, didn't realize it was even controversial. In any case, I wasn't looking for help - was just reporting my own experience in case it is helpful to anyone else. I'm perfectly happy with the old and stable FW.

Here is the info you need for your T-Mobile AC1900: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/tu...uter/topic/cellspot-router/upgrade-firmware/1
Strongly suggest you flash back to firmware you legally can run. Or, by a real Asus router.
Interesting. If one clicks on that link, one receives instructions how to download new firmware for the T-Mobile AC1900. The last step literally states: "You can download these files from http://www.asus.com/support", thereby providing explicit permission to download firmware from the Asus support website and install it on the T-Mobile AC1900 router (see attached picture). So not sure what all the fuss is about.
For the record: I own three Asus RT-AC68 routers bought in retail Asus packaging (i.e. they are not T-Mobile branded).

Attachments

• asusfirmware.png
    asusfirmware.png
    233.1 KB · Views: 226
I admit to nothing! ;) (post edited above). Honestly, didn't realize it was even controversial. In any case, I wasn't looking for help - was just reporting my own experience in case it is helpful to anyone else. I'm perfectly happy with the old and stable FW.

It's not just a matter of controversy or legality. It's a matter of the firmware cannot be expected to behave correctly if it's running on hardware that wasn't intended for it. A number of features are already known to NOT work properly if you run an RT-AC68U firmware on these modded routers, so we don't want to waste time troubleshooting something that is known and expected to not work properly.

I have updated this but now i am having issues with my plex server. and i am wanting to downgrade to the pervious version. whats the best way to do it

I have updated this but now i am having issues with my plex server. and i am wanting to downgrade to the pervious version. whats the best way to do it
Best to not downgrade. What are the issues with Plex?

The upgrade of my router from 3.0.0.4.385.20633 to 3.0.0.4.386.40558 was about at the same time as an automatic firmware upgrade of an IOT device at home.
After those upgrades the IOT devices showed frequent (about every 2 hours) disconnects from 2.4 GHz.
I first blamed this the IOT device firmware upgrade.
Yesterday I changed the router settings:
Code:
Advanced Settings - Wireless - Professional - 2.4 GHz
Explicit Beamforming: Disable
We are 12 18 hours 2 days later now, without disconnects of the IOT device.

This last router setting change made the set of Wireless - Professional changes as follows to enhance connection stability:
Code:
Advanced Settings - Wireless - Professional - 2.4 GHz
Modulation Scheme: Up to MCS 7 (802.11n)
Airtime Fairness: Disable
Explicit Beamforming: Disable
Universal Beamforming: Disable

Advanced Settings - Wireless - Professional - 5 GHz
Airtime Fairness: Disable
Universal Beamforming: Disable

[EDIT] All those setting changes have proved for me to work for solving one or the other connection/disconnection issue at either 2.4 or 5 GHz.
Asus would better make default settings that have the best success to work for everyone and let experienced users tweak specific setting to see if they can improve the network for them.
Those frustrating connection issues are really a pain for less experienced users who have no clue it can be related to the default settings made by Asus, those users will simply classify the router as a bad product and probably buy another router of another brand.

Last edited:
Just want to post here what I experienced today, so anyone else that runs into this might learn from it. Clearly, I am not capable of learning :-0. After my experience in Nov 2020, where I was offline for a day while I figured out that the update to ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.40558 in some way broke my ability to receive a DHCP address from my Fios ONT, after which I downgraded to 3.0.0.4.385.20633 and all was good, I thought to myself, surely, whatever bug caused this is no longer still present 3 firmware updates later.

Accordingly, I pressed the update button, allowing my 2 routers to update to 3.0.0.4.386.43129, which has a number of AiMesh features and security updates I want.

Well, it turns out whatever incompatibility my setup has persisted in this version, and I had to downgrade all the way back to 20633 again.

Switching to another mesh router, so I suppose this is the final note on this thread from me.

Just want to post here what I experienced today, so anyone else that runs into this might learn from it. Clearly, I am not capable of learning :-0. After my experience in Nov 2020, where I was offline for a day while I figured out that the update to ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.40558 in some way broke my ability to receive a DHCP address from my Fios ONT, after which I downgraded to 3.0.0.4.385.20633 and all was good, I thought to myself, surely, whatever bug caused this is no longer still present 3 firmware updates later.

Accordingly, I pressed the update button, allowing my 2 routers to update to 3.0.0.4.386.43129, which has a number of AiMesh features and security updates I want.

Well, it turns out whatever incompatibility my setup has persisted in this version, and I had to downgrade all the way back to 20633 again.

Switching to another mesh router, so I suppose this is the final note on this thread from me.
Do you use Guest Network 1? Others have reported similar issues and a workaround. It was on Merlin firmware, but the underlying issue is the same Asus issue that would exist on stock firmware.