What's new

Release ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.45987

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Objects in Space

Regular Contributor
Version 3.0.0.4.386.45987

2021/12/16 92.52 MBytes

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.45987

Fixed XSS vulnerability
Fixed SQL injection vulnerability
Fixed PLC path traversal vulnerability
Fixed Stack overflow vulnerability
Thanks to HP of Cyber Kunlun Lab

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5:eb76e99e0044ae494567b2107ae14b6f

::: DDNS BUG :::
Causes an error with WAN - DDNS
Specifically, DYNDNS.org
Router displays an error: "Request error! Please try again."
HOWEVER, the IP address DOES get updated at DynDNS https://account.dyn.com/dns/dyndns/ where I have a DynDNS Pro account.
This is a Dynamic DNS Asus firmware bug with ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.45987

Screenshot2.jpg

Last edited:
Causes an error with WAN - DDNS
Specifically, DYNDNS.org
Router displays an error: "Request error! Please try again."
HOWEVER, the IP address DOES get updated at DynDNS https://account.dyn.com/dns/dyndns/ where I have a DynDNS Pro account.
This is an Asus firmware bug with ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.45987

Can also confirm this ASUS firmware bug on a RT-AC66_B1 running 45987 with NOIP.com.

[EDIT] Added screenshot, as banger has noted Network Map also indicates the error:

OEM_45987_DDNS Bug_1.jpg

Last edited:
Both my RT-AC68U router and RT-AC1900U media bridge updated to 3.0.0.4.386.45987, without additional reset or factory defaults.
The whole set works rock solid as before.

I reported the bug to Asus, they responded and I sent back the Feedback form and log they requested.
New RT-AC68U Firmware 3.0.0.4.386.45987 causes an error with WAN DDNS (DYNDNS.org). Router displays pop-up error: "Request error! Please try again." HOWEVER, the IP address still does get updated at DynDNS where I have an account. For More Info SEE: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac68u-firmware-version-3-0-0-4-386-45987.76262/
Screenshot of error below:

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 554
Merlin said that Asus sent him a patch for the ddns problem last night...fyi. So hopefully official will get updated soon.

Merlin said that Asus sent him a patch for the ddns problem last night...fyi. So hopefully official will get updated soon.

The patches I received were for my 45958 code base, they are likely to already be part of 45987 I assume.

Flashed my 4 RT-AC68U AiMesh nodes this morning...can't comment on the DDNS issues since I don't use these as primary routers. No issues so far as AiMesh nodes connected to a GT-AC5300 as the main router.

For those of you that like your wired AC68U AiMesh node to transfer over LAN at full ~1 Gbps speed, this release is to be avoided just like every release since 3.0.0.4.386.43129:
I tested 3.0.0.4.386.45987 today and the results are exactly the same. I get ~480 Mbps max downstream for wired devices connected to the AiMesh node (which is itself wired to the primary AC68U). Running Merlin 386.3_2 or ASUS official release 3.0.0.4.386.41634 allows those devices to transfer at ~920 Mbps.

Hi all,

I'm having a particular issue after upgrading from version 3.0.0.4.386.43137 to the last two releases:

It is that when I go to the "Network Map" section, I see just for a couple of seconds the details of the WAN and then just change to
" Internet status:
Disconnected"

S_RT-AC68U.png

If I downgrade to 3.0.0.4.386.43137 it works fine again. Anyone else having this situation?

And of course the internet connection is working, just reported as "Disconnected" which is.. weird.

For those of you that like your wired AC68U AiMesh node to transfer over LAN at full ~1 Gbps speed, this release is to be avoided just like every release since 3.0.0.4.386.43129:
I tested 3.0.0.4.386.45987 today and the results are exactly the same. I get ~480 Mbps max downstream for wired devices connected to the AiMesh node (which is itself wired to the primary AC68U). Running Merlin 386.3_2 or ASUS official release 3.0.0.4.386.41634 allows those devices to transfer at ~920 Mbps.
I've reported this issue to ASUS - I am running 4 of these RT-AC68U routers as AiMesh nodes, but only have ONE of them directly connected to a wired device (Windows laptop), so the problem is more or less not noticeable on the other 3 devices since they're used for wireless clients only. I can confirm when a wired Windows laptop, etc. is connected directly to a 68U as an AiMesh node (I use wired backhaul on all AiMesh nodes), transfer rates are capped at about 58MB/sec, which is ~460Mbps or so on the latest firmware version, v45987. This cap affects internal LAN transfer speed rates as well as connections out over the WAN - I'm at 1Gbps over the WAN and that is also capped to ~480Mbps on all speed tests from any wired device connected to a RT-AC68U AIMesh node.

Shocked ASUS hasn't fixed this issue considering how many firmware revisions have been released publicly since v43129. In a few days however, all of my 68U's are being replaced with RT-AX92U's.

Last edited:
Asus replied to my bug report regarding the DDNS bug "Request error! Please try again" even though the IP Address is actually updated. They said to reset the router to defaults: https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1039077/
I told them I'm not interested in resetting my router, many others were having the same issue, and directed them to this forum thread. Asus is annoying.

Since it would take me about an hour to re-enter all my configuration data and since the DDNS is updating fine despite the error, I plan to ignore their advice. Hopefully the bug will be fixed eventually. The more people who send a bug report the better!

Report the Bug Here:
Email to report the bug: servicecenter_am@asus.com
Or you can report the bug online: https://www.asus.com/support/contact/Serviceflow/MailUs?serviceType=1
Or online here (select complaint not technical support or you'll be sent into black hole): https://www.asus.com/support/Product/ContactUs/Services/QuestionForm?lang=en-us&isblack=

^ That's the typical response I get from ASUS. Factory reset (even if you make it clear you've already done so), and if your device is within warranty, they'll offer to RMA it, another hassle in and of itself, considering it may take several weeks or longer to go through the RMA process. If enough people submit bug reports or feedback through the router's web admin page, they'll catch on and probably will implement a fix eventually. Personnel from ASUS do read and sometimes post on this forum, from my understanding. I'd run Merlin's builds but there isn't one for the GT-AC5300 (which is my main router), because it's a ROG series router and there likely will never be a Merlin build out there for it, unfortunately.

Asus replied to my bug report regarding the DDNS bug "Request error! Please try again" even though the IP Address is actually updated. They said to reset the router to defaults: https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1039077/
I told them I'm not interested in resetting my router, many others were having the same issue, and directed them to this forum thread. Asus is annoying.

Since it would take me about an hour to re-enter all my configuration data and since the DDNS is updating fine despite the error, I plan to ignore their advice. Hopefully the bug will be fixed eventually. The more people who send a bug report the better!

Same DDNS bug here after updating to FW_RT_AC66U_B1_300438645987. For the moment I've turned DDNS off. It isn't a critical feature for me though I would like to see this fixed. Other than that it's running good.

I sent feedback. I tried Merlins beta with a factory reset but couldnt add my other AC68U in mesh despite following all the instructions. Had to load this firmware to get mesh back after factory reset and still have the DDNS problem. Apparently it is Asus IPV6 DDNS implementation that is the bug. My ISP is V4 only.

Edit: I have noticed that the wifi on mesh before this release was pretty unstable and would reset after a couple of days. This release (early days yet) seems to be relatively stable on the wifi side.

Last edited:
I might have spotted another bug with this release and the Android app. Changed password and used a securely generated password from Edge browser. That logs in fine on browser but app authentication fails. Have checked the password 5 times and no go. Anyone else?