What's new

Release ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.46065

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Seems like this model has troubles from the start. The first HND platform Asus router.

46065 works properly on AC1900P, as expected. My favorite Asus router and test platform. It just works with everything.
I have the same feeling.
seems a lot of problem going on with this model.
CPU WAIT issue, WAN disconnecting issue etc...

I have the same feeling.
seems a lot of problem going on with this model.
CPU WAIT issue, WAN disconnecting issue etc...
hmm......WAN disconnecting is gone after i change ONT power adapter, CPU wait is fixed a long time ago.

Huh, my experience is less than optimal on the 5Ghz wireless band with this firmware. Frequent connection drops to a (nearby) recent HP laptop, even after true cold reboots of both the router and laptop, when there were none on the last few previous factory Asus firmware releases. Yes, no other changes, and all of the controversial/experimental wireless opions are turned off, as before.

Huh, my experience is less than optimal on the 5Ghz wireless band with this firmware. Frequent connection drops to a (nearby) recent HP laptop, even after true cold reboots of both the router and laptop, when there were none on the last few previous factory Asus firmware releases. Yes, no other changes, and all of the controversial/experimental wireless opions are turned off, as before.
Well I have been streaming audio to an alexa speaker downstairs constantly for 5 days no drops with factory settings on this firmware on 5 ghz. No adjustments to pro settings other than tx bursting enabled and fixed channels.

Last edited:
There is good chance that after the firmware upgrade, followed by the reboot another 5 GHz channel is selected.
If possible use a tool like Wifi Analyzer to scan channels in use and manual select one of the least used channels.

There is good chance that after the firmware upgrade, followed by the reboot another 5 GHz channel is selected.
If possible use a tool like Wifi Analyzer to scan channels in use and manual select one of the least used channels.
Good guess, but not in this case, I use manually locked channels on both bands, and those haven't changed in months.

What model and in what configuration, @jsbeddow? You have one RT-AC68P listen in your signature in Media Bridge mode. I have no Wi-Fi issues to report on RT-AC1900P, but I also don't have it running for longer periods of time. It's a testing only unit.

What model and in what configuration, @jsbeddow? You have one RT-AC68P listen in your signature in Media Bridge mode. I have no Wi-Fi issues to report on RT-AC1900P, but I also don't have it running for longer periods of time. It's a testing only unit.
Ah yes, thanks for reminding me, I need to update my signature again. The RT-AC68P is now being used by my son as a conventional router/access point in a different location entirely (it has been that way for about the last six months). He makes no adjustments, I do all administration remotely, and very rarely at that. But his wireless drops started exactly with when this unit did the auto-update of the firmware about 6-7 days ago. I am waiting to hear back if the true power off reboot has helped, as that was only done about 2 or 3 days ago. Fingers crossed...

Hmm may have found a problem. Transferring a file to a mesh connected laptop, the node disconnected after partial transfer and took about 5 minutes for the node to reconnect. Transfer finished by re-connecting the laptop to main router's 5ghz wifi. 12 days uptime on main router.

Hmm just tried the transfer again and it's not repeatable.

Last edited:
Since upgrading to this firmware, my DDNS hasn't been updating itself. No details on my DDNS account have changed.

I use No-IP as my provider, and whenever I visit the DDNS page on my router and click Apply it says 'No details have changed, do you wish to continue?'. Clicking Yes on that prompt I get 'Authentication failed'. If I copy and paste my hostname, username, and password into the fields it again says Authentication Failed.
After a varying number of tries (so far between 2-7) it will say 'Registration is successful' and the exclamation mark on the Network Map page goes away. However the hostname does not update on No-IP's website.
My credentials are correct for two reasons: One, they work on the No-IP website; and Two, registration does succeed after a number of tries.

Restarting my router has not changed this and it is repeatable (I've tried each day for the last 3 days).

Has anyone else seen this issue or similar?

Since upgrading to this firmware, my DDNS hasn't been updating itself. No details on my DDNS account have changed.

I use No-IP as my provider, and whenever I visit the DDNS page on my router and click Apply it says 'No details have changed, do you wish to continue?'. Clicking Yes on that prompt I get 'Authentication failed'. If I copy and paste my hostname, username, and password into the fields it again says Authentication Failed.
After a varying number of tries (so far between 2-7) it will say 'Registration is successful' and the exclamation mark on the Network Map page goes away. However the hostname does not update on No-IP's website.
My credentials are correct for two reasons: One, they work on the No-IP website; and Two, registration does succeed after a number of tries.

Restarting my router has not changed this and it is repeatable (I've tried each day for the last 3 days).

FWIW This is one of the main reasons, that I've not gone back to to try this latest Asus RT-AC68U Firmware release and happily stayed on Merlin 386.4. I'm with No-IP too and one of my earlier posts on this other thread kinda sums it up really, as it appears that this IPV6 DDNS issue, won't be fixed, until the Asus 386.5 Beta Releases complete all the test / debugging process and move over to Official Stable Firmware Releases.

Similar setup, with IPV4 service, and no issue for the past two weeks, FYI:

RT-AC66 B1 DDNS.jpg

Instead of "copy and paste", try manually typing to re-enter your credentials?

Similar setup, with IPV4 service, and no issue for the past two weeks, FYI:

Instead of "copy and paste", try manually typing to re-enter your credentials?
Thanks for the advice. I'd tried that already, and it didn't work.
My password was 128 characters long. Now that I've shortened it, it's accepted first time, and successfully updated itself on No-IP's website. I'm guessing there's an issue with field length or something then as it gets passed through?

Thanks for the advice. I'd tried that already, and it didn't work.
My password was 128 characters long. Now that I've shortened it, it's accepted first time, and successfully updated itself on No-IP's website. I'm guessing there's an issue with field length or something then as it gets passed through?

Glad you were able to figure it out and got it working! This password length limitation is good to know. Anyway, as to password security, FYI:

Just to be clear @Tech9 was referring to the AC-86U not the AC-68U in this topic.

Correct. AC86U is usually one of the last to get firmware updates. There is still no 46xxx firmware for this router.

Found another bug in stock firmware. DoT configuration does not allow IoT devices to work. So far my TP-Link Bulbs go offline when DoT is enabled and when disabled they come back online. This is not a problem on the current Merlin firmware.

Found another bug in stock firmware. DoT configuration does not allow IoT devices to work. So far my TP-Link Bulbs go offline when DoT is enabled and when disabled they come back online. This is not a problem on the current Merlin firmware.
i also have problem with DoT and my smart tvs. TVs cant connect to his smart services after i enabled DoT.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!