What's new

Release ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.49703 (07-20-2022)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just updated to this version and now the vpn server pages say "The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address (192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x or 172.16.x.x). Please refer to the FAQ and set up the port forwarding." and I can no longer connect to the built-in openpvn server. This worked fine on 3.0.0.4.386.48262.(no network config/setup changes only firmware updated)

Last edited:
No, default gateway setting in dhcp is always set to the main router's own local ip by default

1658667306711.png

I also have set quite a few Asus routers and this field is always empty by default.

now the vpn server pages say "The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address (192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x or 172.16.x.x)

Is your router in Double NAT? Is your WAN IP public or private?

When VPN server doesn't start after update, confirm the settings again, hit Apply, restart the server. Reboot to verify it starts automatically.

Is your router in Double NAT? Is your WAN IP public or private?

When VPN server doesn't start after update, confirm the settings again, hit Apply, restart the server. Reboot to verify it starts automatically.
Apparently the settings got corrupt or something, it was really weird but long story short factory reset got everything working like normal.

After noticing the openvpn server issue I also noticed:
1. 5ghz wifi was not being broadcast 2.4ghz was being broadcast
2. the 5ghz wifi led was lighting up but the 2.4ghz was off(backwards to what signal was being put out)
3. the web ui showed only a partial firmware version the first bit was cut off only showed ".386_49703"
4. the android app showed the firmware version as the previous version 3.0.0.4.386.48262
5. the openvpn server was starting but unreachable from inside lan or out
6. after doing a factory reset some settings in web ui where gone or new.

Probably more if I kept looking.

I never had to do a reset before since I got this router when it was new released like within ~1 year. And always load the newest firmware the second I see it which I probably check way to often. Short of bricking this updated almost couldn't have gone worse lol.

the openvpn server was starting but unreachable from inside lan or out

Why are you trying to reach the VPN server from inside your LAN?

Something is definitely not right with your router. Reset to default and set again manually. Don't use saved configuration files.

Why are you trying to reach the VPN server from inside your LAN?

Something is definitely not right with your router. Reset to default and set again manually. Don't use saved configuration files.
You clearly skiped the first sentence I wrote. I did a reset and its working fine now.
However to address your question anyways, I was trying to setup connecting to the vpn when not on wifi it accidently tried connecting while still on wifi aka same network/lan in my post I was just mentioning what I observed.

I was thinking it’s still bugged. Enjoy! ;)

View attachment 43033

I also have set quite a few Asus routers and this field is always empty by default.
My list of routers I had and currently have:
RT-n66u
Dsl-n55u
RT-ac68u
4G-ac68u
RT-ax92u
GT-ax11000

In all of them when I used them as a router they always had the default gateway filled and I only change the dhcp ips pool range and dns server address.

In my friend's case it was clearly an issue since windows didn't had a default gateway and couldn't connect to the internet. Filling the correct main router IP in the default gateway solved it.

I always had it empty by default. Go figure.
I agree, by default the LAN > DHCP Server settings only have:
  • IP Pool Starting Address 192.168.1.2
  • IP Pool Ending Address 192.168.1.254
  • Lease time 86400 (this is seconds and makes 24 hours)
All other fields are empty.
A connecting client will get an unique IP address assigned (within the above range) and have the router IP address (by default 192.168.1.1) as:
  • DHCP Server
  • Default Gateway
  • DNS Servers
All above 3 equal (the router IP address).

Well, I killed mine with this update. Waited 5 minutes to do the manual reboot, I thought it was enough, but apparently not. Can't do firmware recovery, it can't find it. Think it will be turning into an RT-AX86U....

In all of them when I used them as a router they always had the default gateway filled

There must be some explanation for this on your end, but I'm not sure what it is. LAN\DHCP Server\Default Gateway has always been left blank here (N66U, AC68U, AC86U, AX86U). The setting popup help states, 'if you leave it blank, the default IP address of the router will be assigned (to clients)'.

OE

The RT-AC68U firmware doesn't touch the bootloader, so I can't think of any way a bad firmware release could brick an RT-AC68U. Firmware recovery will always be available.

Well, I killed mine with this update. Waited 5 minutes to do the manual reboot, I thought it was enough, but apparently not. Can't do firmware recovery, it can't find it. Think it will be turning into an RT-AX86U....
Try a Hard Factory Reset:
After this you shall be able to acess the router at 192.168.1.1 and you must manual configure the router (do not load an old configuration backup file).

[EDIT] Just to be sure: for the Device Discovery tool and to configure the router after a succesful hard reset, you need to have a PC hardwired to one of the Router LAN ports and the network port of the PC shall be set to a manual assigned IP address like 192.168.1.100

Last edited:
Sorry for the lag. Thanks for your replies.

I was pressing the reset button, not the WPS button. I was able to get it into recovery mode, and start uploading the firmware. It made it to about 40% then started over, then made it to about 6%, then now is saying "Failed to recover the system".

I then tried doing the same thing, and trying it through the web interface, but it just didn't work. Also tried the "restore default NVRAM values" on the webpage, but also didn't really seem to do anything.

When it is in restore mode, I can ping it for about a minute, then I can't anymore, for a while. So I think something is just fried in there at this point. (I mean, that should work... I assume this is why the uploads are failing, it can't even stay running.)

I have a AX86U arriving on Monday... So although I kind of would want this as a mesh node at some point, I think I may be done with trying to mess with it... (unless you have any other suggestions...)

Thanks
-E

Wouter- yes, that is what I did... I'm sorry, I wrote that above in a confusing way... . I meant to write that earlier I had been pressing the reset button, not the WPS. Yesterday, I did the hard reset about 5x, with the WPS as that link describes, and it did the above behavior: It would work for maybe 30-45 seconds. (enough for maybe 40% of the upload) then stop responding.

Thanks

After the WPS reset and you wire up a PC to a LAN port of the router: can you access the router setup wizard at 192.168.1.1?

Otherwise try this:
  1. Have a firmware file available, ending with the extension .trx
  2. Power down the router.
  3. Remove USB memory devices (if any).
  4. Press and hold the reset button, at the same time power up the router.
  5. Wait for slow flashing power LED.
  6. Release the reset button.
  7. Set your computer to a fixed IP address, such as 192.168.1.100 / 255.255.255.0.
  8. Hardwire your computer to a LAN port of the router.
After this shall either be able to open 192.168.1.1 and get the CFE Mini Webserver, from here you can upload a firmware file.
Or start the Firmware Restoration utility.

A rainy Sunday so I decided to do the exercise of ASUS Firmware Restoration on the RT-AC1900U (not the RT-AC68U because that is the main router).
Oh my, what a poor experience.
Starting with the latest and greatest ASUS Firmware Restoration tool version 2.1.0.3, fresh downloaded from the ASUS site. This is a tool designed for Windows XP with the very old fashioned file explorer. The tool is not very communicative, it doesn't exactly tell you what happens or what it tries to do.
Ok, brought the RT-AC1900U in rescue mode as described in my above previous post, with the power LED slowly flashing, the laptop connected.
I could not ping 192.1681.1 nor open the good old CFE Mini Webserver.
After selecting the latest RT-AC1900U firmware .TRX file in the Restoration Tool and without any further Ok or Go or "Yes I found this Router", the tool started to download firmware.
It failed at about 30%, retried, failed again at about 30% and stated "restoration failed".
At the very end with some hassle of power cycling it appeared that the RT-AC1900 still had the firmware and all previous settings.
As I thought this could be corrupted by the failed Firmware Restoration, I decided to reinstall the firmware. It became quite a mess with lockups of the router, even with plenty time to recover. I don't know exactly what solved it, with more struggles of power cycling and normal and WPS resets the RT-AC1900U is back as Media Bridge.
Lesson 1: Don't touch a good working system (ok, I never learn from this).
Lesson 2: The ASUS Firmware Restoration tool is outdated and ready for restoration it self.

[EDIT] As side note, the last time I experimented with the Firmware Restoration tool was about 10 years ago with the good old RT-N66U.

Last edited:
HI Wouter- Yeah, sounds like you had very similar experiences to me, I just couldn't get it to work... I was able to get in that mode, set the IP address, but was only able to get it sporadically working- I.e. I could ping it for a minute, then it would start failing...

6+ years was a good amount of time for a router, new one arriving later today. I still would like to be able to use it, if anyone else has any extra magic on how they got that process to work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!