What's new

Release ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.49703 (07-20-2022)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

But, ASUS can't rely on users to manually update. As long as the router is working, they won't touch it. And if they set auto-update on, they think they are always good, up-to-date, and safe with new fixes, right? This could leave people vulnerable for a long time.
At some point, end users need to start taking responsibility for managing their own devices. The manufacturer cannot do everything automatically for them...

I don't want a nanny-state experience (being told what to do and think by others), particularly over hardware I buy with my money.

Either we learn to use the equipment we use, or we learn why we should have the hard way.

Downloaded and installed on my AC-68P without manual reboot. Everything works as it should..Having sold my AC-56U, its great to have a router that gets updates again

When the "Default Gateway" field is left blank, the router automatically uses the IP address of the router

Yes.

after upgrade to this version, i am unable to access Web UI anymore. How to fix it? SSH still working.

EDIT: Looks like manually run `service restart_httpd` should be able to get Web UI up and running, but it can't start it on its own after reboot. tried many times.

Last edited:
I recently purchased an rt-ac68u v3, it's in this topic firmware, it works fine, no apparent errors. I tried to use the latest available version of merlin, but the result was disastrous.

It had constant ipv6 prefix losses, but only on lan ports, on wlan it worked without problems. The problem occurred every 10 minutes or so, it was annoying. I was also having a lot of disconnects at 5ghz, this culminated in removing merlin and going back to the official firmware.

In the official firmware, rt-ac68u v3 works very well, without any apparent bug, everything flows naturally, unlike what happened in merlin, which was very disappointing, because it's sad to lose the scripts, which gave an excellent survival to the device, but there's nothing to do, version 386.7_2 got really bad on rt-ac68u v3. Is there a version older than this that works well on this model?

I'm thinking of testing other firmwares, like fresh tomato and dd-wrt. Is the installation of these two firmwares of the same type as merlin, through the web interface?

But they've only ever released one version of the firmware that worked on all hardware reversions...

I only see the RT-AC68U_V4 on that page, which I'm not sure was ever widely sold.

Knowing you have one, I am really curious aboat its HW; is it really more or less "just" an AC86U HW in a different case?

Knowing you have one, I am really curious aboat its HW; is it really more or less "just" an AC86U HW in a different case?
The hardware specs are indeed quite similar to the RT-AC86U. I don't remember what radio it uses, but it's probably an older SoC since the RT-AC86U 5 GHz is 4x4, while the RT-AC68U_V4 is 3x3 AFAIK.

Asus has unfortunately discontinued the RT-AC68U and will no longer release new firmware.
See: https://www.asus.com/event/network/eol-product/
Folks. Rather than clutter up this firmware discussion on the RT-AC68U_V4 being EOL'd, it may be better to continue that specific EOL discussion in the other thread where it's being discussed:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!