What's new

Release ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.51255

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That's why you are having issues trying to install the later Asus firmware. You will have to find the discussions elsewhere on that router when it comes to installing Asus firmware as certain discussions about that specific router are not to be discussed here per the forum sticky/tacked thread:

SNBForums Policy on ASUS TM-AC1900 Conversion Discussion
That's interesting because the T-Mobile website directs users to the Asus support site for firmware downloads.

That's interesting because the T-Mobile website directs users to the Asus support site for firmware downloads.
You'd have to contact Asus and inquire where to get the latest firmware for the TM-AC1900 router. Asus apparently changed their later RT-AC68U firmware versions so it could not be installed properly to the stock TM-AC1900 unit. Search internet for discussions about the TM-AC1900 on other websites. Lots of discussion elsewhere on that specific router model and running Asus firmware. As the tacked/stickied thread I linked to indicates, certain discussions on the specifics of modifying that specific model on the SNBForums will likely be removed.

This router is TM-AC1900 model, not RT-AC68U. Why did you automatically assume they are the same thing?

Well I can tell you that this version FAILS yet again when the RT-AC68U unit is in AIMESH node mode with a GT-AX11000. This is like 3 failed revisions now & I can easily recreate the failure & also I can always revert to version 3.0.0.4.386.48262 which again seems stable with latest & previous versions of firmware for the GT-AX11000. What I hate is my wasted time & the fact if I reboot the Main node it forgets about the RT-AC68U's because they seem to disassociate(?) after firmware update. I saw one of the first comments in this thread praising that they still did firmware updates but what is the point if they break everything? Why can I always revert, something is clearly an issue here. Total time suck & wasted energy. Very disappointed in quality control here. Perhaps it is an issue specific to the main hub model & this model as an AIMESH node? Since these operate in NODE mode & you cannot really attack / talk to them directly, I do wonder if I should even bother to worry about the security threat they may pose in NODE mode. Obviously I would prefer to not ignore updates, hence why I have wasted so much time trying to get these RT-AC68U's updated. That is the irony I have one for emergency backup & I can recreate the issue on both & I can revert and get stable on both by using the stable firmware 3.0.0.4.386.48262. What is the attack angle & threat while in NODE mode I am unclear, I plan to investigate & if severe I will probably go way from ASUS & get a product less prone to quality issues. I am retired now & have worked with HP Procurves, Aruba, CI$CO, Allied Telesis & I have never experienced such flakey firmware releases consecutively along model/brand line. Just search for AIMESH connectivity issues & how I found this forum, everyone is terrified to update their firmware. They really need to get their act together to be taken seriously. I was hoping to get ~ 5 years with this GT-AX11000 but I need reliable & secure MESH coverage, I doubt ASUS can deliver & I shouldn't require enterprise class gear for home use. Just pathetic.

Last edited:
I shouldn't require enterprise class gear for home use.

Enterprise gear not needed, but cheaper Wi-Fi business solutions are available in form of Omada and UniFi. Cisco and Zyxel also have low priced APs now good for home use.

I also assume by now the RT-AC68U firmware and the AiMesh part of it is quite behind compared to the GT-AX11000, hence a good potential for compatibility issues.
I suggest to put equipment that support the same WiFi standards and have (close to) the same firmware versions in the AiMesh setup.

I also assume by now the RT-AC68U firmware and the AiMesh part of it is quite behind compared to the GT-AX11000, hence a good potential for compatibility issues.
I suggest to put equipment that support the same WiFi standards and have (close to) the same firmware versions in the AiMesh setup.
Well, as mentioned, after another lobotomy & "setup router as a NEW network", then apply lower firmware, reboot & then put it into AIMESH node mode, it connects every time. Only AX capability is is missing, AC is the backhaul & signal is "Great" when placed back out to the garage. By their own standards, they list this model to be "AIMESH 2.0 compliant". I have skipped firmware versions of the new GT-AX11000 for issues it has (look on this very forum for comments regarding second last revision (AIMESH with newer equipment & a host of other issues & how fast it was replaced). After all the issue reported a more stable reliable rev was released, clearly IMHO, quality control & testing standards are lacking to have so many issues with firmware releases. This all started about 2 revisions of the GT & 3 revisions of the RT firmware revisions where this stability & compatibility became an issue. I was so frustrated in how networking equipment could be this flakey I took the time to contact ASUS's "Office of the CEO" feedback to highlight all the issues this questionable quality control is presenting to SOHO customers. As I have mentioned, IMHO, this is a quality control issue.

This model is perhaps the most famous Asus router and is still supported for marketing reasons - whoever has one will buy another Asus router for widely advertised AiMesh. The hardware is >10 years old though and things don't work exactly as described by Asus and expected by the customers. You did exactly what Asus marketing wanted you to do - got another Asus router and an expensive spider on top. If you have experience with better equipment and know what works - why play with consumer market toys? There are better "mesh" options on the consumer market as well. You perhaps never looked because you already have an Asus router... Do you realize now what AiMesh does best? It sells more Asus routers.

Point taken! What grief. To answer your other question about using better equipment, well yes, my PoE's are HP Procurves (8 port units no longer in production but lifetime warranty I'll get a better unit if these fail) & not all devices are PoE of course, I can enable / disable the ports as required. You did notice how I spell " CI$CO " (again they are ridiculously priced for their value / performance). All I really wanted was a decent Wi-Fi coverage solution & a router to do the basic exchange between my home network & my ISP, not to demanding right? Why did I buy a ridiculously overkill router, because it was a retirement gift to myself on my last expense account expenditure (that qualifies for home connectivity back to work) I could deduct prior to my retirement. Yes I'll be looking about for a better MESH solution, some good recommendations here to go have a looksy. Cheers!

Intriguing indeed, will look at that solution. I haven't really been looking at CI$CO for some time, I just thought you were locked into their narrow minded solutions (their typical modus operandi). Seems they are a little more SOHO friendly, the management choice is certainly appealing. Thank you.

@Tech9

Boy, are we in the bad mood today/this week/whole year.

I personaly had the chance to switch my whole mesh network with another brand however i did not. Why? Asus routers simply do everything right for me + support is really good. Try Netgear or Belkin and count official FW updates from now on. 1 per Year. Maybe... Another big win is Merlin FW which adds many features used by advanced users. I cannot imagine switching to another brand right now, I do not have the time nor will to learn how it works, new menus, etc.

So... It seems, you have had a bad expirience, but there are A LOT of people on this forum, that are happy with ASUS solutions. Including me.

Yes, as "Tech9" pointed out, this model is successful for many of us purchasing another ASUS router. Certainly I am satisfied with the "hardware" itself (reliability). The issues with firmware for myself go back 6+ months on two models & this forum is full of others who have been bitten by what I define as "questionable quality assurance". Clearly, with my personal retirement, I was hoping to get out of the I.T. support "GiG" & run with something basic that met my needs & didn't require an abundance of effort to maintain a secure efficient connected network. It seemed like a pretty cost effective solution to be able to re-purpose an older unit as a node. I also go back to what I was saying, aside from my efforts to to a lobotomy & roll back, re-add & then re-assign, I would not be complaining. I am complaining that clearly there are quality issues with the software to be concerned with.

but there are A LOT of people on this forum, that are happy with ASUS solutions. Including me.

The less you know the more happy you are with what you get. Good thing - they are relatively cheap. For few hundred bucks you get a RPi like router, switch and access point with somewhat working initial firmware. A lot of competition around - products are pushed to the market fast. After you buy the hardware Asus starts fixing things and you perceive it as good support. This strategy works on the consumer market only where users don't know much about hardware/software. You can even sell non-existing features. Do it on the business market and no one will buy another product from you.

The less you know the more happy you are with what you get. Good thing - they are relatively cheap. For few hundred bucks you get a RPi like router, switch and access point with somewhat working initial firmware. A lot of competition around - products are pushed to the market fast. After you buy the hardware Asus starts fixing things and you perceive it as good support. This strategy works on the consumer market only where users don't know much about hardware/software. You can even sell non-existing features. Do it on the business market and no one will buy another product from you.

So the past almost week or so I have been looking at getting a new router (the current ISP-router does not allow me to configure which devices are allowed to connect to which AP, because I also have an ISP-provided 'mesh' dedicated AP, resulting in my TV connecting to the AP upstairs with -70 to -80 dBm with less than a few Mbits of speed while we have gigabit internet)
Anyway, I have been going down the rabbit hole of which router to get, resulting in initially concluding TP-link, then concluding ASUS because of their general support for firmware updates and the availability of Merlin.
However, now I am curious, what other brand would you recommend to get Tech9? Because indeed one of the reasons Asus has come out on top for me was their support, because if I am going to spend 100-250 euro on hardware, I would like it to last as long as the hardware will keep up, not as long as the firmware gets updated (looking at you: tp-link and any smartphone provider ever).

AX86U Pro is a good price/performance choice for AIO router. It has the current fastest hardware and will get Pro features firmware in future.

I installed (mainly due to vulnerability fixes) the firmware Version 3.0.0.4.386_51255-g486ded6 via admin UI.
After the installation, the router is still operational, but I cannot access any more the admin-UI.

What I tried (chrome + Firefox + both with incognito and w/o incognito):
http://192.168.1.1 => fail
https://192.168.1.1 => fail
https://192.168.1.1:443 => AI Cloud login ok
https://192.168.1.1:8443 => fail
http://router.asus.com => fail (ping gives correct 192.168.1.1)
https://router.asus.com => AI Cloud login ok
https://router.asus.com:8443 => fail
http://www.asusouter.com => fail (ping gives correct 192.168.1.1)
https://www.asusouter.com => fail
https://www.asusouter.com:8443 => fail

Installed "Device Discovery" app, and router is listed with 192.168.1.1.

Now no further ideas how to get the UI working again.

Did someone else encountered the same issue after this firmware update?