What's new

Release ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_51668 (2023/11/30 )

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Intrepid

Regular Contributor
ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_51668
Version 3.0.0.4.386_51668 | 2023/11/30 | 98.78 MB
1. Resolved an issue causing excessive log generation due to bwdpi issue.
2. Fixed a potential issue causing higher CPU utilization.

Please unzip the firmware file, and then verify the checksum.
SHA256: 098ff2e48b60a2a97f6175257af15faac124802a8da94823dbf7bc1589a304ee

Download Page: https://www.asus.com/supportonly/rt-ac68u/helpdesk_bios/

Last edited:
Installed successfully on RT-AC66U_B1 running as a mesh node. Thanks for posting (I've blocked automatic updates).

I flashed my two AI routers with it this morning (manually) and those annoying log entries are finally gone. QoS, OpenVPN, Firewall rules, DDNS, static DHCP, Roaming blocklist all working well.
Really smooth transition to the new firmware with no errors, no extra reboots, no wiping of settings back to factory defaults.
Nice work Asus!

Does anyone know exactly what this means: "...excessive log generation due to bwdpi issue."
1. What's excessive log generation?
2. What's "bwdpi", how is it turned on and off and what was the issue?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Does anyone know exactly what this means: "...excessive log generation due to bwdpi issue."
1.What excessive log generation?
2. What's "bwdpi", how is it turned on and off and what was the issue?

Thanks.
Bwdpi is the DPI engine from Trend Micro and used for all the features provided by them: AiProtection, Adaptive QoS, etc...

Something broke on Trend Micro's side, causing a service to constantly crash every few minutes. This release includes a workaround to stop these constant crashes.

Bwdpi is the DPI engine from Trend Micro and used for all the features provided by them: AiProtection, Adaptive QoS, etc...

Something broke on Trend Micro's side, causing a service to constantly crash every few minutes. This release includes a workaround to stop these constant crashes.
Thank You RMerlin.

Crazy cool that they’re still supporting this old router. I still use one as a mesh node. Just updated it and will advise if any issues come up…

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_51668
Version 3.0.0.4.386_51668 | 2023/11/30 | 98.78 MB
1. Resolved an issue causing excessive log generation due to bwdpi issue.
2. Fixed a potential issue causing higher CPU utilization.

Please unzip the firmware file, and then verify the checksum.
SHA256: 098ff2e48b60a2a97f6175257af15faac124802a8da94823dbf7bc1589a304ee

Download Page: https://www.asus.com/supportonly/rt-ac68u/helpdesk_bios/
Where is full link? Dm?

Where is full link? Dm?

In the post you quoted - takes you to the official Asus support page.

1701661573583.png

Not good enough?

Succesfully upgraded the RT-AC68U Router and RT-AC1900U Media Bridge.
For both memory usage seems a bit less than with the previous 51665 version (see here), now see if it doesn't increase over time:

RT-AC68U Router - December 5:
1701791851938.png

Update December 6: RAM Used 76 MB.
Update December 7: RAM Used 79 MB.
Update December 8: RAM Used 82 MB (creeping up?).
Update December 9: RAM Used 79 MB.
Update December 10: RAM Used 80 MB.
Update December 11: RAM Used 78 MB.
Update January 08: RAM Used 85 MB.
Update March 06: RAM Used 89 MB.
Update March 24: RAM Used 91 MB.
Update April 13: RAM Used 92 MB.

RT-AC1900U Media Bridge - December 5:
1701791891223.png

Update December 6: RAM Used 60 MB.
Update December 7: RAM Used 64 MB.
Update December 8: RAM Used 61 MB (stable).
Update December 9: RAM Used 65 MB.
Update December 10: RAM Used 64 MB.
Update December 11: RAM Used 61 MB.
Update January 08: RAM Used 66 MB.
Update March 06: RAM Used 69 MB.
Update March 24: RAM Used 72 MB.
Update April 13: RAM Used 73 MB.

[EDIT] The Router and Media Bridge are up without reboot from the moment of the firmware upgrade to 51668 and are slowly but gradually using more and more RAM memory.

Last edited:
I live in the rural country with only Rise Broadband available @ 25Mb. But the only local (and VERY over-provisioned) tower nearby means that at peaks times I see, maybe 5-8Mb. Off-peak I usually see around 8-13Mb. I must be the only one who saw a nearly 50% reduction in my internet speeds after going from 3.0.0.4.386_51665 > 3.0.0.4.386_51668. I could barely hit anything over 5Mb at peaks time or not after this update and experienced a *huge* amount of lag and frequent connection drops to my provider. No amount of rebooting the router fixed it. My son, who's a gamer, complained non-stop about how sh*itty the Internet was after I updated to 3.0.0.4.386_51668. After reverting back to 3.0.0.4.386_51665, my Internet speeds are back to normal. I don't use the features this update was supposed to fix. Am I the only one? Had this router for nearly 7 years and it's a tank. Never had a single issue until this recent firmware update.

This router model/series is (originally) over 10 years old today.

You may want to try the following link to get the state of your router, today.

Once the above is complete, you can then download the latest firmware, upgrade, perform a full reset, and then do a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP.

If the slowdown is still there for you, you can use the files you created with the link above to quickly get back to where you are now.

Unfortunately, sometimes, simply doing an upgrade doesn't work for all. The steps above may help you get your router to the most secure platform and give it a few more useful days while you contemplate which router you will upgrade to.

(For your connection, the RT-AX68U would be a good match. But depending on local prices, the GT-AX6000 or the RT-AX88U Pro may be the better buy for you (even if the hardware is way above what the ISP provides, currently).

No issues with speed. Anyway, stick with 51665 if you need to. But I think your issues are NOT related to your router and it's just a coincidence. Sounds like you are having ISP issues. I would call Rise.
Important: Make SURE you didn't turn on "Adaptive QOS" -or- "Game" prioritizing in your router. If you did, turn it off.
As mentioned above, you may want to test resetting your router to default settings after updating to 51668. However, make sure to both backup your settings file AND write the WAN, LAN & Wireless setting down (you may or may not have custom settings for your Rise microwave system).

But the best course of action may be to just stay with 51665 and call it a day. This will help you determine if it is in fact a Router or ISP issue.

Last edited:
No issues with speed. Anyway, stick with 51665 if you need to. But I think your issues are NOT related to your router and it's just a coincidence. Sounds like you are having ISP issues. I would call Rise.
Important: Make SURE you didn't turn on "Adaptive QOS" -or- "Game" prioritizing in your router. If you did, turn it off.
As mentioned above, you may want to test resetting your router to default settings after updating to 51668. However, make sure to both backup your settings file AND write the WAN, LAN & Wireless setting down (you may or may not have custom settings for your Rise microwave system).

But the best course of action may be to just stay with 51665 and call it a day. This will help you determine if it is in fact a Router or ISP issue.

Agreed. I've been with Rise for almost a year and it's been sufficient for what I need out here. Spectrum fiber is coming in the near future but until then, I'll suffer.....I'm pretty religious about keeping firmware current. As a IT Pro off 33+ years, I've been around the block many, many time. And yes, this router is long in the tooth but still sold new in box from Asus and many retailers so Asus is still going to be supporting it for a while still. I do agree that having a router supporting WiFi3 is in my future.

I have backups of my config so I'll give a full system reset and then re-import my settings and see what happens on 51668. I'm not experiencing the issues in the fixed firmware so not much incentive for me to go to it TBH. Thanks guys!

I have backups of my config so I'll give a full system reset and then re-import my settings and see what happens on 51668. I'm not experiencing the issues in the fixed firmware so not much incentive for me to go to it TBH. Thanks guys!
Actually, if you're going to reset the settings after trying 51668 again, don't import. Reconfigure manually. That's the point (the existing settings could be causing an issue with the new firmware).
My suggestion: If you haven't already done so, I would stay with 51665 for a week or so to see if the issue reoccurs (that would mean an ISP issue) or doesn't reoccur (that would likely mean a router issue). Best of luck.

See post 16, above.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!