What's new

Asus RT-AC68U NVRAM maxed out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DiscoMike

New Around Here
I am running into an issue since I upgraded my routers firmware to AsusWRT Merlin 386.1_2. My NVRAM is stating it's using 65528 of 65535 bytes of memory. Is their a way to increase this value?

Can one open up the router and install additional nvram?

Thanks.

I am running into an issue since I upgraded my routers firmware to AsusWRT Merlin 386.1_2. My NVRAM is stating it's using 65528 of 65535 bytes of memory. Is their a way to increase this value?

Can one open up the router and install additional nvram?

Thanks.

If you haven't already seen this thread here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/router-running-low-on-free-nvram-yellow-alert-notice.69861/ take a look at it to free up your NVRAM. I'm in a similar position like you where it seems that my NVRAM is starting to get filled up. Time to clean it up. Trying to avoid reset to default settings and reconfigure everything from the beginning.

Cliff Notes: Use something like PuTTY to SSH into the router. In that thread link above, look at post # 4 to gather the NVRAM listing. Look at post # 7 to clean up the NVRAM.

Last edited:
From the CLI, run nvram show | awk '{print length(), $0 | "sort -n -r"}' | cut -d"=" -f 1 | head -n 20

This will show the top 20 items using nvram. Then type nvram get [setting_name] to see what the specific content is. E.g., nvram get wl1_chansps

If you find that among them are things like DHCP reservations, you have the option of moving those to a file and out of nvram.

There are also commands that will clear out unused nvram settings, but you'd still need to stably boot before running them, so you're better if you can move things from nvram.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!