What's new

Asus RT-AC68U router with USB hard drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oldun

Occasional Visitor
I have an Asus RT-AC68U router with Asus-merlin firmware running a 4TB, USB 3.0 hard drive. The hard drive has its own power supply.

Is there any way I can get the USB drive to effectively go to sleep when it has not been used for a some time?

Administration > System > Enable HDD Hibernation

Bear in mind that depending on how you're using your USB drive it might not be possible for it to go to sleep. Or even worse, setting the hibernation period to be too short may result in the drive constantly sleeping and waking which would put a lot of ware on a mechanical drive.

it all depend - if this is just storage you will be able to Hibernate HDD but is you have SWAP, entware with amtm and firewall, same soft like Sonarr to check torrent files available etc then no.

Is there any way I can get the USB drive to effectively go to sleep when it has not been used for a some time?

Your HDD will last longer if it spins all the time. Spin up/down is what shortens HDDs life.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!