What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U - 4th May - New Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81858 (04.05.2020)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you work with the Tx Power transmitter control? For me, I change the position of the regulator but WiFi Analyzer on my Android phone shows the same level of radio signal :-(
(Question applies to this and previous firmwaere)

Ever since Asus was sued for transmit power exceeding FCC limits that setting really does not do anything.

Ever since Asus was sued for transmit power exceeding FCC limits that setting really does not do anything.

Well, it does does decrease output below the regulated limit. I never thought I'd need it, but I found it useful at my metal framed and roofed cabin where I had to set up one AC86U inside and one outside to get good wifi throughout the cabin and the yard. I had to turn down the transmit power on the outdoor unit to reduce coverage overlap inside the cabin.

The power reduction function can be useful to protect your health when people are sitting or sleeping in the same room and you don't need a long range (also at night)

Well - for me, with the update, i can already ping my printer (for instance). Something that could not be done two days ago.

So far - so good!!! Let's see that this one solves the issues.

Upgraded this morning, used router GUI to auto update, then did a factory reset with the box checked for settings. Will report back if anything strange goes on, so far no problems.

You know better your setup. Mine is DOCSIS cable modem to RT-AC86U. No issues with WAN so far.
After your comment last night I again let the 86U upgrade to the latest. Then I factory reset it and it has behaved since then. Are there any glitches with clearing the NVram? I ask in that I have factory reset the device more than 10 times and even erased the NVram from the CLI. I found that there was always a message / Alert within the AI Protection that would not clear. I wondered if that was cached somewhere under a unique ref for this device.

I have added an old BTHub4 as an External AP and wondered if you have seen issues on this forum with this configuration. The BT Hub connects back to the 86U via TP Link Power adapters.

However like everyone the Upload speed to the internet is comprimised, less than 400Kbts today at times. Like you Virgin Media, DOCSIS 3.0, hub in Modem mode. I took out the Untangle Firewall as so much was duplicated in the Asus.

Thanks for your insite

Don

I have added an old BTHub4 as an External AP and wondered if you have seen issues on this forum with this configuration. The BT Hub connects back to the 86U via TP Link Power adapters.

However like everyone the Upload speed to the internet is comprimised, less than 400Kbts today at times. Like you Virgin Media, DOCSIS 3.0, hub in Modem mode. I took out the Untangle Firewall as so much was duplicated in the Asus.

Don, are you seeing the reduced upload speed when connecting through the access point or directly through the AC86U?

Don, are you seeing the reduced upload speed when connecting through the access point or directly through the AC86U?

When doing any speedtest I connect directly into the VM Hub 3 in Modem Mode. This is the truest speed I can obtain. It removes all other distractions that people can get hung up about. i.e. Wifi etc

It was the worst I have seen it today. It impacts all the RTP acknowledgements

Don

After your comment last night I again let the 86U upgrade to the latest.

I never reset anything if there is no need. Last few FW were flashed on top.
If I need to clear NVRAM only - WPS button. If I need to clear everything - Reset button. No special tricks.

Like you Virgin Media, DOCSIS 3.0, hub in Modem mode.

I'm with a different ISP. The speed is somewhat constant. I get the same speed on the router, LAN and WLAN.

I have Comcast 300/25 connected to dosis 3.0 cable módem...speeds are constant on wlan or ethernet...i usuallly do a reset initialize when upgrading downgrade firmware...this release is rock sólid.

Actually the WPS button does a factory reset just like the reset button.

I don't use those buttons often. I remember after WPS only I still had the DHCP reservation list. After Reset it was all gone. Not sure, but I believe Reset wipes the jffs contents too. Like what Reset + Initialize does from GUI. Don't ask me to verify, please. :)

I don't see RT-AC86U in the list of routers this procedure applies to. WPS on my routers doesn't turn the router off like in previous RT-AC68U. Just the power LED goes off and I have to turn the router off manually. Something is different here for sure.

Last edited:
I don't use those buttons often. I remember after WPS only I still had the DHCP reservation list. After Reset it was all gone. Not sure, but I believe Reset wipes the jffs contents too. Like what Reset + Initialize does from GUI. Don't ask me to verify, please. :)

I don't see RT-AC86U in the list of routers this procedure applies to. WPS on my routers doesn't turn the router off like in previous RT-AC68U. Just the power LED goes off and I have to turn the router off manually. Something is different here for sure.
I am really glad you are not always right.

See: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/

Incorrect...wps also be used for reset and initialize.

And I never do anything, just flash firmware and its good for me, now thinking one of these days when I have a lot of time I will clear out EVERYTHING and start from scratch...
For me its the setting up of the neat client png's that take some time that is why I am trying to avoid this...

And I never do anything, just flash firmware and its good for me, now thinking one of these days when I have a lot of time I will clear out EVERYTHING and start from scratch...
For me its the setting up of the neat client png's that take some time that is why I am trying to avoid this...

You shouldnt giveaway where you work..bosch? Its against regulations..lol

I am really glad you are not always right.
See: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/

Let's investigate a little further.
- Method 2 is correct. This is exactly what happens on RT-AC86U.
- As per this page https://www.asus.com/ca-en/support/FAQ/1000925/ Reset in GUI and Reset button do the same thing. We see Reset and Reset + Initialize options now. Initialize description is "Initialize all the settings, and clear all the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, and Web History". So Reset only in GUI is not actually resetting everything. I know Traffic Analyzer data is stored in jffs. Don't know about AiProtection and Web History data.
- My observations:
WPS button turns off "Manual Assignment" in DHCP, but my devices retain IPs assigned by me.
Reset button turns off "Manual Assignment" in DHCP and my devices get random IPs as per DHCP.
I found this by accident. Wasn't expected. Perhaps @RMerlin is the right person to ask for clarification.

Incorrect...wps also be used for reset and initialize.

See above what difference I found. I'm going to test again to make sure it wasn't a glitch.

Let's investigate a little further.
- Method 2 is correct. This is exactly what happens on RT-AC86U.
- As per this page https://www.asus.com/ca-en/support/FAQ/1000925/ Reset in GUI and Reset button do the same thing. We see Reset and Reset + Initialize options now. Initialize description is "Initialize all the settings, and clear all the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, and Web History". So Reset only in GUI is not actually resetting everything. I know Traffic Analyzer data is stored in jffs. Don't know about AiProtection and Web History data.
- My observations:
WPS button turns off "Manual Assignment" in DHCP, but my devices retain IPs assigned by me.
Reset button turns off "Manual Assignment" in DHCP and my devices get random IPs as per DHCP.
I found this by accident. Wasn't expected. Perhaps @RMerlin is the right person to ask for clarification.

See above what difference I found. I'm going to test again to make sure it wasn't a glitch.

I used both methods and always performs factor reset as none of my settings are retained....at least with my ac86u..

I used both methods and always performs factor reset as none of my settings are retained....at least with my ac86u..

Let me think a bit before I hit my Merlin router with WPS. You're a terrible person. :)
I also want to find out what's going on. Having 2 routers makes the science project easier.

Let me think a bit before I hit my Merlin router with WPS. You're a terrible person. :)
I also want to find out what's going on. Having 2 routers makes the science project easier.

Be careful, it will also reset your ego. :)

OE