What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U - 4th May - New Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81858 (04.05.2020)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Be careful, it will also reset your ego. :)

Nah, different button. Never works. :D
Thinking about Pi-Hole with DHCP server before I hit WPS/Reset. Hold on.
I also want to collect some AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer and Web History data to find the difference between Reset and Reset + Initialize in GUI. None of those were enabled on the 2nd router.

Last edited:
I was on 45717 and upgraded yesterday...performance on my ac86u is just as good...no complaints so far.

You are saying that and tomorrow ASUS will pull that firmware again, just wait and see! LOL

Nah, different button. Never works. :D
Thinking about Pi-Hole with DHCP server before I hit WPS/Reset. Hold on.
I also want to collect some AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer and Web History data to find the difference between Reset and Reset + Initialize in GUI. None of those were enabled on the 2nd router.
Have set up Pi Hole to run via DoT on the Pi. Works well except the Asus router assigns clients the Pi DNS address and the router IP DNS address. You can use Pi Hole for DHCP.
Oh, the new Asus firmware still works great!

Have set up Pi Hole to run via DoT on the Pi. Works well except the Asus router assigns clients the Pi DNS address and the router IP DNS address. You can use Pi Hole for DHCP.

The plan is easy. Two issues:
- no available R-Pi at the moment, need to organize Linux/Ubuntu first
- my wife claims ownership on the 2nd router, this is a tough one :)

i put my money on this release not being pulled. i gave it some time to assess wifi performance and general stability and i can safely say now i'm in love with this firmware. it's a complete turnaround from the previous one which I've had gui,wifi and cpu issues. almost three days now and wifi is stable. roaming between my main and my mesh is working fine and no high cpu spike usage. i even updated my signature for this one.

i put my money on this release not being pulled. i gave it some time to assess wifi performance and general stability and i can safely say now i'm in love with this firmware. it's a complete turnaround from the previous one which I've had gui,wifi and cpu issues. almost three days now and wifi is stable. roaming between my main and my mesh is working fine and no high cpu spike usage. i even updated my signature for this one.

Agreed...upgraded from 45717 and this release is why I'm no longer on Asus Merlin (since he has to wait for the GPL to be released)

i can't fix my WiFi channel because my neighbor wifi alway change channel that make my device can't use wifi or slow.
is the
3.0.0.4.384_81858 wifi alway change channel?

i can't fix my WiFi channel because my neighbor wifi alway change channel that make my device can't use wifi or slow.
is the
3.0.0.4.384_81858 wifi alway change channel?

No.

Survey WiFi signals around you and fix your channels to use the least used channels. Most home routers are left on Auto channels, so they will change channels to avoid your signal. If you use Auto channels, then your router will join your neighbors' in an endless game of channel chase. Maybe.

OE

Does the automatic channel change mechanism only apply to what the router hears or also to the quality of Connection with a specific computer? My point is that in one room the same computer may have interference from other neighbors but in the other room from other neighbors in the WiFi band. Is he just listening to what is happening where he (i.e. the router) lies?

I am having aimesh issues on 2.4. It keeps the 5ghz on aimesh. But drop all the 2.4 eventually from the node.

Also some of my laptops say no internet connection after standby. Only dissable en enable wifi will get internet back. I didn't have this issue before.

I am having aimesh issues on 2.4. It keeps the 5ghz on aimesh. But drop all the 2.4 eventually from the node.

Maybe your 86U 2.4 radio is dying.

You'll need to investigate and narrow it down.

OE

Also some of my laptops say no internet connection after standby. Only dissable en enable wifi will get internet back. I didn't have this issue before.

You'll need to narrow this down, too.

OE

I'd say, yes.

OE
For me, the router is in the hall but I often use the Internet on the balcony. And I have an idea to designate a convenient channel for using the internet on the balcony: to move this router for a moment to the balcony and check what channel it will set and then use this rigid channel - what do you think about it???

Last edited:
For me, the router is in the hall but I often use the Internet on the balcony. And I have an idea to designate a convenient channel for using the internet on the balcony: to move this router for a moment to the balcony and check what channel it will set and then use this rigid channel - what do you think about it???

I think you should give radio transmission a bit more credit.

Use a WiFi Analyzer app to see what WiFi signals are around you. Maybe then you can choose a 2.4 channel and a 5.0 channel to set for your router.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!