What's new

Asus RT-AC86U bricked

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

_dumper

New Around Here
Hi Guys,
I have problem with my rt-ac86u it's bricked during update. I tried use tools to recover firmware for mac and windows but still nothing.
Ok so what i have now:
- I tried method 30/30/30
- When turn on i have only power led lighting
- When i connect by LAN - led of lan is lightning but no communication and ping doesn't answer
- When i try clear nvram ( pressed WPS button and turned on) only the power led lightning for a while and gonna down
- When i go to recovery mode i tried upload firmware get error +/- 50% of uploading file about lost connection with router and after that the led of LAN go down and stay only power LED.
So what i see is only led of power and lan if i have connection. The rest of leds never go up

I don't have any more ideas for fix it, maybe someone from you sell some new tip.

Thanks and Best regards,
Bart

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @_dumper.

Asus routers do not respond to the 30-30-30 reset procedure, which is for another brand router/firmware.

You may want to try the reset procedure for your model that Asus recommends instead.

What recovery mode procedure are you using? Is it the official Asus one? If it is, try to be patient with it. Even if it says it times out. Give it an hour or so to be sure it flashes the firmware fully and properly.

The following links may also help too once you get (or to get) the router working.

Fully Reset Router and Network

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums

Factory reset the AC86U: power off then press and hold the WPS button and power on. When the power light goes off turn the power off and release the WPS button. Then power on again.

Welcome to the forums @_dumper.
Hello, Before I was only the reader forum, now came to time to join like a member and cry for help
Asus routers do not respond to the 30-30-30 reset procedure, which is for another brand router/firmware.
Ohh i find somewhere that's for asus too, btw thanks for explaining!

You may want to try the reset procedure for your model that Asus recommends instead.

I tried this method too, unfortunately doesn't help :(
What recovery mode procedure are you using? Is it the official Asus one? If it is, try to be patient with it. Even if it says it times out. Give it an hour or so to be sure it flashes the firmware fully and properly.
Yes, it's original Asus.
I'm using the official method - so power off - press reset button - power on - release reset button after power led gonna blinking - after that used the app ASUS Firmware Restoration - chose the firmware for the ac86u and trying upload. In this step during upload i get error about lost connection with router the firmware wasn't upload fully.
Factory reset the AC86U: power off then press and hold the WPS button and power on. When the power light goes off turn the power off and release the WPS button. Then power on again.
Thanks for the full instruction i will try.

Verify your PC is connected to LAN Port # 1 on the router when you are trying to use the ASUS Recovery Tooling... I read that somewhere and yeah sometimes it takes a while to connect and recovery.. sometimes it takes a few tries..

Now, what i see:

I have problem with join to recovery mode, tried many times and doesn't work, led power don't want start blinking.
I tried turn off plug from wall after a few minutes try again and then power led blinking but PC don't see router.

You might find you need to do another factory reset (power off by wall socket for a few minutes first).
Then go straight into recovery mode, don't let your router start up normally.

After a few days break of this problem i'm back, and now:
When i powered off by wall for the few hours, after that power on and join to recovery mode in the same time i started "ping 192.168.1.1 -t" and i see that i have connection between devices, after click upload firmware in rescue ASUS app i lost the connection ~20-25% in progress uploading.

20% this means that the firmware is loaded into the router and the flash firmware was in progress
check the power supply just in case

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!