What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U firmware release 3.0.0.4.384.45713

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Early builds could be suspect builds.

One build working ok could rule out ambient radio interference.

If a wired backhaul to the troubled 86U node, have you tried a different cable or wireless backhaul?

OE

Just to clarify.... I'm running the 2nd 86U in Ethernet wired back-haul mode. Never thought the cable could be the issue as the devices that are connected to it run fine wired and do not lose connection. Also, are u suggesting that I change it from wired back-haul to wireless? Thanks for the help and reply btw!

Just to clarify.... I'm running the 2nd 86U in Ethernet wired back-haul mode. Never thought the cable could be the issue as the devices that are connected to it run fine wired and do not lose connection. Also, are u suggesting that I change it from wired back-haul to wireless? Thanks for the help and reply btw!

No, you are probably right... trouble with the wired backhaul/cable probably would not spare the node's wired clients.

OE

Factory default reset is explained here.

The factory defaults come from the current firmware, so you must install the new firmware first and then perform a reset to install its defaults. A reset includes an automatic reboot.

Given the history of recent ASUS firmware issues, and the hope that this release is SOLID, you should reset and reconfigure now. I suggest the webUI restore/reset with initialization to purge logged date also.

OE

Didn't think it would make a difference but now restored after firmware update and 8hrs later not one entry in the General Log.
Wow!
Before I had a lot of stuff showing.

I want to love this firmware, but i am experiencing slight packet loss.

I noticed it when using whatsapp audio and the voice was dropping out every few seconds (after having no issues with the previous firmware), and then doing speed tests on an iPad it was showing a small percent loss.
Upon reverting to the previous firmware, everything is back working normally.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I want to love this firmware, but i am experiencing slight packet loss.

I noticed it when using whatsapp audio and the voice was dropping out every few seconds (after having no issues with the previous firmware), and then doing speed tests on an iPad it was showing a small percent loss.
Upon reverting to the previous firmware, everything is back working normally.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Random bugs and glitches? An M&M Config may help.

Flash the firmware you want to use, reset to factory defaults, minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP.

See the link in my signature below for further details on the M&M Config to get your router to a good/known state after flashing the latest firmware.

Random bugs and glitches? An M&M Config may help.

Flash the firmware you want to use, reset to factory defaults, minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP.

See the link in my signature below for further details on the M&M Config to get your router to a good/known state after flashing the latest firmware.

Yep, did all that at the start, made sure it was clean, then ran for a while, but still the packet losses.

Downgraded and everything was back to normal.

With this new firmware, everything was fine, streaming, speed was good etc, only noticed it when I was using whatsapp and doing the speed tests, otherwise there was nothing else to suggest there were issues.

Yep, did all that at the start, made sure it was clean, then ran for a while, but still the packet losses.

Downgraded and everything was back to normal.

With this new firmware, everything was fine, streaming, speed was good etc, only noticed it when I was using whatsapp and doing the speed tests, otherwise there was nothing else to suggest there were issues.

Did you detect this wireless packet loss while connected to the node, the router, or both?

What was the symptom with Whatsapp (dropped audio?) and with the speed tests?

What would be an easy way to test for packet lost here? Ping shows no lost packets here but it may not be very rigorous.

Edit: I pinged my wireless backhaul longer and got this:

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.86:
Packets: Sent = 990, Received = 979, Lost = 11 (1% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 9ms, Average = 1ms

OE

Last edited:
My client list seems pretty good... but how does the router resolve client names... it comes up with different and strange default names overnight? I don't care much, but...

OE

How do I configure my AC68 after I remove as a AI mesh node in the AC86?
It says it will factory reset it when I remove it.
Do I have to connect a lan cable with a computer to the 68 or something
Asus device discovery can't find it.

How do I configure my AC68 after I remove as a AI mesh node in the AC86?
It says it will factory reset it when I remove it.
Do I have to connect a lan cable with a computer to the 68 or something
Asus device discovery can't find it.

Once you remove the node from the router webUI AiMesh, it should reset automatically to factory default condition. Then you need to wire a PC to it, wait for it to acquire an IP address, and then browse to router.asus.com (192.168.1.1 or 192.168.50.1) to perform the router Quick Setup routine to immediately secure its open WiFi (or go to manual setup and webUI restore/reset/initialize to purge things one more time first).

Edit: Wireless administration of the router webUI may be possible, but I never recommend it.

Edit: If you only intend to add the reset router back into an AiMesh, you can just do that directly and wirelessly (via WPS) from within the router webUI.

OE

Last edited:
Once you remove the node from the router webUI AiMesh, it should reset. Then you need to wire a PC to it, wait for it to acquire an IP address, and then browse to router.asus.com (192.168.1.1 or 192.168.50.1) to perform the router Quick Setup routine to immediately secure its open WiFi (or go to manual setup and webUI restore/reset/initialize to purge things one more time first).

OE
Thanks! Been so long since I did that. I Googled it too. But I needed a conformation.
My ip cams disconnected a couple of times and seem to lag a little in mesh mode. I don't really need that mode.

is anyone 5GHZ band still disappearing on this firmware or that been fixed. as it was big problem for me the 5ghz band dropping for no reason.

is anyone 5GHZ band still disappearing on this firmware or that been fixed. as it was big problem for me the 5ghz band dropping for no reason.

Never had that issue to be honest. Pretty sure you factory reset before...

OE .. In #15 you mentioned that you "added wireless node in place, 77' away in detached brick garage;", but in #50 you stated "Once you remove the node from the router webUI AiMesh, it should reset. Then you need to wire a PC to it". I haven't don e a reset since I got both routers .. it would be a lot easier if I could add the node wirelessly. Is that possible?

I've worked with six 86Us since 2/2018 and have only seen 5 GHz drop once after a dodgy firmware upgrade. I redid that firmware upgrade and have never seen the issue again.

I would confirm you have a clean firmware install, then reset, and then config from scratch (no restore). If the problem persists, I would replace the router.

OE

OE .. In #15 you mentioned that you "added wireless node in place, 77' away in detached brick garage;", but in #50 you stated "Once you remove the node from the router webUI AiMesh, it should reset. Then you need to wire a PC to it". I haven't don e a reset since I got both routers .. it would be a lot easier if I could add the node wirelessly. Is that possible?

Post #50 was in regard to removing a node and then working with it as a standalone router. If you are going to add it as an AiMesh node, yes, you can add it to an AiMesh wirelessly... that would be a wireless backhaul.

The take-away from post #15 is that that was the first time I did not bother to move the node to within a few feet of the router before adding it to the AiMesh (via WPS). Instead, I said, heck, let's see if I can just add it to the AiMesh from where it is deployed, 77' away from the router. And it worked! So, no more moving wireless nodes around for me, here. :)

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!