What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.81039

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maybe it wasn't this thread I mentioned it in but yeah I'm already on Merlins newest firmware. It is so much snappier and way more tools & options anyway.
No need to wait for asus, just thought they should know since so many people are/were having issues

Maybe it wasn't this thread I mentioned it in but yeah I'm already on Merlins newest firmware. It is so much snappier and way more tools & options anyway.
No need to wait for asus, just thought they should know since so many people are/were having issues

For my part (not using AiMesh) Asus firmware is just fine.
I actually like that Asus issues relatively frequent updates and the update that they just pulled didn't do any damage to me, I was able to go back quickly...
I mean that router works better than any other router I used before so I am happy.

For my part (not using AiMesh) Asus firmware is just fine.
I actually like that Asus issues relatively frequent updates and the update that they just pulled didn't do any damage to me, I was able to go back quickly...
I mean that router works better than any other router I used before so I am happy.

Agreed. In the past I've always used Asus FW as long as they keep updating it. When the updates stop, I then turn to custom FWs.

You guys might want to rethink that because Asus has completely removed this faulty firmware from the 86u download page now also. I mean if you want to continue using slow buggy firmware be my guest but
there are all kinds of issues that could be there & you just not realize it yet or that might crop up later on when you change a setting or something.
This will probably the last I visit this thread since the firmware is now deprecated. Take care

fw is buggy, but i see that AIMesh is more stable I always have accessable both bands, even i enabled roaming asistant.
On earlier fw in wifi log sometimes i saw that 2.4GHz not always authenticaded, now always i see asociated and authenticated.

ok Im back. Some trade off that is. If you want stable mesh (everything) download merlin 384.13

The 81039 firmware was the buggiest I've seen in a long time (RT-AC86U). I went back and forth with ASUS support engineers since the night it was released back on 8/22. Clearly a lot of users reported issues. At least they're aware of it and pulled the update. Oddly enough, on my AiMesh nodes (all RT-AC68U's, not 86U's), all of those have the updated firmware and seem to be fine. I'm running 45717 on my RT-AC86U until ASUS provides me with a properly working release.

ok Im back. Some trade off that is. If you want stable mesh (everything) download merlin 384.13

AiMesh code in Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 is the same AiMesh code in Asuswrt 45717. So either will give you the same AiMesh, stable or not.

OE

I just had to share this here since I had already mentioned how utterly useless Asus' tech support is. Any time I have ever had a problem & wrote tech support they just talk in circles and make the most ignorant suggestions & troubleshooting steps!
Most of the time the suggestions make no sense.
This is after my case has been escalated & I have done all their preliminary basic troubleshooting & sent them ALL the necessary logs & info. Oh And I have been telling them from the start that the firmware is definately the problem. This is the email I just got.

"My name is "" and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.
I am writing this email to provide you an update about your ongoing case. Here's the recommendation of our engineer.
Please be advised to try saving current configurations as a CFG file (optional) if you would like to preserve a copy of the current settings/configurations (Router GUI -> Administration -> Restore/Save/Upload Setting -> Save), update the firmware to the latest version, proceed with a hard reset (reset button), DO NOT import any previously saved CFG file and setup everything again from the start.
If the problem persists, please use the router's built-in feedback option (GUI > Administration > Feedback) to send additional information for RD team to review."

This is utterly ridiculous & they need to do something about their "tech support".

He knows I have already done these steps & yet he tells me to save my configuration file then he says to do a hard reset but NOT import the settings! Thats not confusing.
And Of course I'm not gonna import my settings when there is a major problem & what's the point of saving those settings if I'm not gonna import them? Just so I can store them away for fun smh.
Then to top it off he tells me to use the built in feedback which I have already sent him with the case # notated along with every other possible log, which he apparently ignored.
They pulled the defective firmware already & he still wants to do step 1 troubleshooting...again wth.

I more or less received the same email. Then I got a couple of calls from ASUS (California area code) the following day suggesting that I save my settings to CFG (I always do this anyway) and not import them, rather I should reconfigure the router from scratch after I've updated to the 81039 firmware release, followed by a hard reset of the 86U, before doing any configuration whatsoever. I gave it try and sure enough I ran into the same issues with the UI. Slow, erratic CPU usage, and UI crashes when accessing Aimesh settings.

What's odd is that when I initially upgraded to 81039 on 8/22 (day of release), all of my AC68U Aimesh nodes were also "upgraded" to 81039; normally I have upgraded those manually, one-by-one. Then I checked ASUS's website, and there wasn't even an 81039 firmware release for the AC68U, so it upgraded automatically without prompting or any manual input from my end. I'm not even sure they're running 81039 tbh...45717 on the 86U and 81039 on the 68U (as Aimesh nodes) seems fine so far, no issues to note.

Agreed. In the past I've always used Asus FW as long as they keep updating it. When the updates stop, I then turn to custom FWs.

For my part I am basically just curious about these updates, not updating because there would be a need for it...
I guess the best for me would be to ignore all the update "warnings" an use the firmware that simply works and then use till the router dies,
usually after a couple of years but then I am just too curious :)

For my part I am basically just curious about these updates, not updating because there would be a need for it...
I guess the best for me would be to ignore all the update "warnings" an use the firmware that simply works and then use till the router dies,
usually after a couple of years but then I am just too curious :)

Firmware updates usually include security enhancements and bug fixes, so it's best to keep up-to-date on them. ASUS dropped the ball with Q&A before releasing their update on 8/22. I usually grab their latest firmware within a day or two of release and hadn't had any issues up until this latest one. Hopefully they fix it and tread more carefully testing updates in the future so that their customers aren't stuck dealing with roll-backs, factory resets, and wasting hours on troubleshooting.

I know this is a bit off-topic but since it was mentioned in this thread... Decided to switch to Merlin FW from official Asus FW (had just downgraded from this fiasco of a FW Asus had released) as many seem to recommend that... I like that it's snappier and has more options but I did notice that not only does it make my router warmer, it caused an issue with Gmail account not syncing with my Win10 mail app and Whatsapp (Android) trying to sync to server (got a constant notification of it checking messages whatever that means). Fortunately this all went away when I pulled the power plug, waited a few minutes and plugged in. Yes, I had done a factory reset after the FW installation and even powered off. So yeah, I guess Merlin FW isn't perfect although I will be staying with it unless these issues continue to occur. Oh, and my router is AC66U B1 (so using Merlin AC68U FW).

You all seem to be quite lucky , I upgraded my two RT-AC66U B1's which were in a mesh ,first thing I noticed was that NTP was not working and the mesh could not be established.
Reverting back to the original configuration was impossible , one of the routers was impossible to bring into any mesh ,It would not act either as a mesh-node or as a mesh-master.

Contacting local support in Sweden was quite useless , after 5 days all that they have done is ask which FW i used , that was information that I already had provided to them.
Am now using an AC86 as the mesh master instead.

You all seem to be quite lucky , I upgraded my two RT-AC66U B1's which were in a mesh ,first thing I noticed was that NTP was not working and the mesh could not be established.
Reverting back to the original configuration was impossible , one of the routers was impossible to bring into any mesh ,It would not act either as a mesh-node or as a mesh-master.

Contacting local support in Sweden was quite useless , after 5 days all that they have done is ask which FW i used , that was information that I already had provided to them.
Am now using an AC86 as the mesh master instead.

Generally speaking, those who upgraded to 81039 immediately discovered issues/bugs; so they downgraded to 45717, then reset and re-configured to return to stable operation. Not much luck in that, just trial and error... paying our dues as early adopters.

OE

Generally speaking, those who upgraded to 81039 immediately discovered issues/bugs; so they downgraded to 45717, then reset and re-configured to return to stable operation. Not much luck in that, just trial and error... paying our dues as early adopters.

OE

The luck is that most people were able to return to the original configuration.
In my case one router did not want to have anything to do with the mesh after downgrading ,resetting & reconfiguration.

The luck is that most people were able to return to the original configuration.
In my case one router did not want to have anything to do with the mesh after downgrading ,resetting & reconfiguration.

Perhaps try re-flashing the firmware.

OE

Perhaps try re-flashing the firmware.

OE
downgrading=reflashing ,that I have done.
Have also tried putting the router in rescue mode and reflashing from there .

downgrading=reflashing ,that I have done.
Have also tried putting the router in rescue mode and reflashing from there .

Yes, I meant re-flashing the downgrade a second time. Might even try flashing down to an earlier release and then again up to the desired release 45717. Not much else left to try, except maybe a fresh firmware download in case there are some bits missing from your copy.

Edit for 66U B1 router: Looks like they may have fixed 81039 and released 81049:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC66U_B1/FW_RT_AC66U_B1_300438481049.zip

OE

Last edited:
ASUS have just just released the new firmware version number 3.84.81049 for this model (86U), available via the auto GUI update, cant seem to find it yet via the ASUS website for download.

Have applied the updated firmware from my then current version of 45717 to all my nodes via the auto update process (GUI), went without a hitch.

After a couple of hours, it would seem the 5Ghz signal strength is weaker than version 45717, would be interesting to hear from other people once they have installed the new firmware version to see if they are also suffering from the same problem.

Last edited:
ASUS have just just released the new firmware version number 3.84.81049 for this model (86U), available via the auto GUI update, cant seem to find it yet via the ASUS website for download.

Have applied the updated firmware from my then current version of 45717 to all my nodes via the auto update process (GUI), went without a hitch.

After a couple of hours, it would seem the 5Ghz signal strength is weaker than version 45717, would be interesting to hear from other people once they have installed the new firmware version to see if they are also suffering from the same problem.

This thread is for Asuswrt 81039. According to your signature, your router/root node is running Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 with the same AiMesh code as in Asuswrt 45717. And now your remote nodes are running Asuswrt 81049 with upgraded AiMesh code. At least all five of your nodes are 86U build or else this might really get confusing.

Firmware 81039 changed the defaults for Roaming Assistant and Smart Connect. If these changes are in 81049 and given your mix of firmware and potential node density... and not knowing how you are measuring signal strength before and after... it might be difficult to know what the problem is, if any.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!