What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.81039

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This thread is for Asuswrt 81039. According to your signature, your router/root node is running Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 with the same AiMesh code as in Asuswrt 45717. And now your remote nodes are running Asuswrt 81049 with upgraded AiMesh code. At least all five of your nodes are 86U build or else this might really get confusing.

Firmware 81039 changed the defaults for Roaming Assistant and Smart Connect. If these changes are in 81049 and given your mix of firmware and potential node density... and not knowing how you are measuring signal strength before and after... it might be difficult to know what the problem is, if any.

OE

Hey Ozark I too am using Merlin 384.13 on my 86u router. He recommends using Asus firmware for the nodes. Do you forsee any potential issues running Asus 81049 on my 68u Node?
Also since 81039 was such a disaster I also would like everyones feedback on 81049 once flashed & tested

Hey Ozark I too am using Merlin 384.13 on my 86u router. He recommends using Asus firmware for the nodes. Do you forsee any potential issues running Asus 81049 on my 68u Node?
Also since 81039 was such a disaster I also would like everyones feedback on 81049 once flashed & tested

My impression is that you can run Merlin on the router and 81049 on the nodes... I'd try it.

81049 is working here.

OE

Running 81049 on my AIMesh setup for nearly a day and it seems stable so far, 1 Parent (in AP mode) and 3 Nodes, all RT-AC68U's.

I can also confirm that I had the same experience with what ASUS support requested of me, even after I had done all of the same steps on my own at least 2 times. I never had time to generate the file they requested as I had a hard time understanding their translated English. The translator app they were using was not very good.

I did upgrade to the new firmware when I saw it replaced (had noticed the bad version was pulled, too). This is pretty stable for me, so that’s good.

I can also confirm that I had the same experience with what ASUS support requested of me, even after I had done all of the same steps on my own at least 2 times. I never had time to generate the file they requested as I had a hard time understanding their translated English. The translator app they were using was not very good.

I did upgrade to the new firmware when I saw it replaced (had noticed the bad version was pulled, too). This is pretty stable for me, so that’s good.

Yeah they probably can't afford to hire a couple people that speak English so they can communicate with their customers.

Yeah they probably can't afford to hire a couple people that speak English so they can communicate with their customers.

Well, English is my 2nd language, and there are some decent translation engines that they could leverage, but if they have standard documentation that they send out, they should contract the translations out to someone who could do a quick review of it. They could even ask a few beta testers from the USA if it sounds like something that makes sense.

... just my 2 cents because it’s what I have asked my wife to do when I write something and am not sure. LOL.

I agree, this is something that has been going on for years so they have to know that their customer service is terrible. People have been complaining the ROG forums & just about every other forum forever so it seems they just don't care.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!